FRAGBU - Vote for me!!!!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

I_B_Bangin

habitual line stepper
Aug 6, 2000
Boston, MA
Here is a friendly suggestion from Papa Bangin to increase voter turnout during Fragbu games. This is meant to encourage suffrage (what a great word :D ) and to prevent people from being discouraged from voting.

From the saturday night fragbu thread I read a couple of replies that mentioned people voted on maps at times only to be met by complaints and "oh no, not that map" type replies. I think that this type of response IS very discouraging to the process of selecting a map. If you don't like a map, just vote for what YOU like and the majority wins. It's a pretty simple process and if people are able to feel like they can vote without hearing complaints, then maybe more people will participate in the vote for the next map.

So for this to work we need to come to a general agreement that we will not complain when someone picks CTF-Alcatron or CTF-TWD (ok, so maybe we can complain about CTF-TWD ;) ). Those who feel like voting will vote and we will have a gooooo time!

Last edited:

The Warden

this is usually where youll find me
Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
FragBU CTF has a little DM (Ok alot) involved, so the maps must accomadate for that as opposed to Pure CTF action. Both TWD and I are bad at looking at a map and saying some like "NOOOOOOOO" and for the record, I HATE Thorns! but alot of peeps like it!

Thing to remember is this is FragBU, it's not Competion but fun among Friends. :)

I_B_Bangin

habitual line stepper
Aug 6, 2000
Boston, MA
I don't think I have ever been on the winning team on CTF-I_B_Bangin during fragbu! lol

that is the epitome of pitiful

Raffi_B

Administrator
Oct 27, 2002
USA
I thought Scuzz made I_B_Bangin for you? Correct me if im wrong, but I think I saw the map credit say "Scuzzbuster"

I_B_Bangin

habitual line stepper
Aug 6, 2000
Boston, MA
Yes, Scuzzbuster did make the map. All credit for that bizarre masterpiece goes to him! Thanks for making that clear Raffi, just in case anyone was confused and thought I made the map.

I wish I had skillz to map, I used to have a ton of ideas for maps I wanted to see, but UED always overwhealmed me.

[MUTTS] Hiteche5

Rodney-like
Jun 15, 2000
Groton, Connecticut....again
Visit site
you_b_just saying that so we'll all vote for your map.

I get it!! "You_B..." and his name is I_B...and you even have the underscore and...and...

/me looks around sheepishly

But in all seriousness map vote will work if everybody votes but even better was what Warden said...

Thing to remember is this is FragBU, it's not Competion but fun among Friends.

So if a map does not turn out to be the most gameplay oriented map so be it...just fool around!

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
there's a lot more to the votings than you guys would think. You'd think oh well everybody just votes for whatever map that they want and the map that the most people want wins right? Unfortunatly that's not how it always works.

Alcatron is a perfect example of this. Some are unfamiliar with the map vote mutator. So they try double clicking on their gametype and map which usually ends up in voting for alcatron. This becomes their vote because they don't know how to change it, or maybe they just don't care. Well he's probably not the only one. There's probably a few others in the server that figure "I've never played alcatron let's try it" and maybe "well he must know what he's doing" so they vote for it too. Others maybe went on a bathroom break, or maybe they're too busy typing to actually vote. Pretty soon you find yourself in a gigantic map with only 5 people.

Well that's fine we can just vote in a new map right? Unfortunatly not everyone knows you can press home to vote in a new map, or their home key doesn't work. We don't know why the rest of the people refuse to vote, maybe they aren't paying attention to the ingame chat. After the map is done they say "this map sucks", but they didn't do anything to try and fix it.

Now I'm sure there are a few people that want to play these maps, but all I ever see at the end of the match is everyone saying gg bad map, and in TS anybody that actually talks is complaining about the map.

So you ask if people REALLY don't want to play these maps why does it end up happening? There's a lot of factors in map vote that you never think about like ignorance, my whining, lack of self confidence, or just not caring. That's why I've been saying the web should only have the best top quality maps with good gameplay. Otherwise your going to end up playing maps that nobody wants. If somebody really does like a certain map they can say so, and we'll keep it. Otherwise I say get rid of them.

Last edited:

I_B_Bangin

habitual line stepper
Aug 6, 2000
Boston, MA
TWD, I can't remember the last time Alcatron was actually played where it was voted on by accident. I know what you mean about the accidental vote by double clicking, I still do that all the time. But for 5 people to accidentally vote on a map and not know how to change their votes is pretty far fetched. The last time I, personally, played Alcatron in a fragbu, it won a mapvote because people voted for it on purpose just for kicks and giggles.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Alcatron is just an example, but it helps explains why sometimes the map vote system fails and why I sound off so much. I'm usually here at fragbu ever week for pretty much the entire time. I have played every map on the list, and I remember how each game turned out and what everyone thought, as well as what I personally thought. Map choice is extreemly important and can have a direct effect on how good that particular game will be. I want to do what I can to help make the best choice possible. Yet when I come up and say "naw techdream too big for 4 people, no that map is just crappy" people completely ignore me. Sometimes I feel like I'm telling kids to not touch the stove. You know it's going to burn them but they refuse to listen, or even talk to me. In fact it is very rare that people even reply back to me with why thy decided the way they did. I get silence.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
TWD said:
there's a lot more to the votings than you guys would think.....blah, blah, blah.....

Today's Lesson on How to Use MapVote (since it's such a difficult task)

1. Click on the name of the map you want to play

2. Click on "Vote"

End of Lesson

Quiz tomorrow

TWD said:
....people completely ignore me.

See Webster's definition of "hint."

TWD said:
Sometimes I feel like I'm telling kids to not touch the stove.

Because if they vote for a map that YOU don't like, they'll be mangled and scarred for life!