Poll - All weapons fire bullets idea

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UT3 weapons

• Would you prefer having only: All weapons firing bullets

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UT3 is oky the way it is

Votes: 70 97.2%
  • Keep the actual weapons and add more firing bullets weapons!

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
It means, you see the bullets with some kind of tracers maybe 2 meters long, but you clearly see that there is a bullet speed. It's not a hitscan.

At medium or long range you can dodge the bullets.

UT2004 minigun as the one from original UT also had traces, but that just doesn't mean it spawns a very fast projectile. Both use hitscan. Adding a weapon that fires projectiles in semi-automatic mode 5-8 round per second as it does Lancer would cause about 40+ projectiles to be airborne at one moment, which in turn would cause huge impact on the network load, because position of each projectile has to be carefully sent to each client. So the best way to do reproduce a seemingly instant firing weapon is still to do a trace on the server, add a necessary deviation + optionally add a delay. Then tell the client has the target been hit or not. Everything you see flying there is not an actual projectile, but rather an effect which is always client-side only and even doesn't exist on the server if the server is dedicated. For a good example check the original UT's shock rifle. It's blast would reach the target point with a noticeable delay, but it's still just an effect. Target would receive damage the same moment the fire button was pushed.

Last edited:

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Well, you may be right, I didn't create that system, but there is a huge difference between SoF2 (or GoW) & Counter-Strike weapon systems.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Your idea is terribly worded, poorly thought out, and unoriginal.

That's my opinion on the subject.
1. A lot of players are waiting to have a game with the same character movements than UT 2004 or 3 (what is just perfect for an action FPS game, not just UT) but with the GoW weapons (just an example to let your understand the type of weapons).

2. Asking that on a Pro Unreal Forum is for sure not going to give positive results :lol:

3. I'm not here to prove a point, I suggest, observe and see... and having a lot of fun while observing.

Last edited:

Unknown Target

Jan 22, 2008
1) A lot of players being who? Basically what you're asking for is to make UT more "original", you take out all of the original weapons and add a machine gun, a pistol, a sniper rifle, an assault rifle, and a shotgun.

2) Ok, good for you? This isn't a Pro Unreal Forum. That would be here: http://www.prounreal.com/

3) I didn't say you were trying to prove a point - you're making a terrible suggestion instead.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
There are three suggestions in the poll.
I appreciate the actual Weapons in the Game, but hate the fact that there is a lack of weapons firing bullets (I do not fully enjoy the actual gunplay with the enforcer and seriously think that somekind of assault rifle would be more than welcome to get a complete set a weapon variety).

In the poll, no one voted for the 1rst option, including me. I voted to add at least one other weapon firing bullets.

To answer your number 1, just take the time to visit the Epic Games Forums and you will find a thread especially for the GoW Weapons for UT3.

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
You are basically proposing changing everything that defines what makes an Unreal Tournament game.

The weapons, more than most other aspects, define the game. Changing them, changes the game. You're talking about a total conversion mod, or a new game to be developed on this engine.

Some of the more or less unique aspects of UT that attract it's player base are things like extreme variety in the guns, and what and how they fire, the dodge, the translocator, the lack of reloading or clips, the fact that it's not class based, the fast pace, and the the fact that it is an arena shooter.

There is also an underlying depth to the gameplay from all that stuff, that most people don't grasp until they get to a competitive level at the game. The tactical side that JD spoke of.

It's not just because it's an arena shooter with pretty graphics that people play it. Hence changing that other stuff will kill off most of the current player base.

My suggestion: Go play these games you sight as examples.

My question: What is it about UT3 or Unreal tournament in general that makes you want to bring that style of play to this title?

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
There are three suggestions in the poll.
I appreciate the actual Weapons in the Game, but hate the fact that there is a lack of weapons firing bullets (I do not fully enjoy the actual gunplay with the enforcer and seriously think that somekind of assault rifle would be more than welcome to get a complete set a weapon variety).

In the poll, no one voted for the 1rst option, including me. I voted to add at least one other weapon firing bullets.

To answer your number 1, just take the time to visit the Epic Games Forums and you will find a thread especially for the GoW Weapons for UT3.

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
One problem you'd run into if UTs guns started all firing bullets is the number of guns would be cut down drastically. Another is the whole concept of inaccuracy and randomness of the bullets. After those things factor in you have successfully destroyed UT from what it was.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Exactly, but people are acting like there was no 3rd option in the POLL and didn't give any feedbacks on that; adding at least one weapon that fires bullets what could be somekind of Assault Rifle between the Enforcer and the Snipe.

I wouldn't see how replacing all the great weapons from UT3 could be a great idea at all, the game is basically designed to have fast and acrobatic movements as much as having a good variety of weapons. Just having one type (firing bullets) would destroy as you said the Essence of Unreal.

But adding another weapon that fires bullet would just complete the variety of weapons and would not change anything except, wow it's cool.

Maybe we could count the Stinger as being that weapon, but it is way too accurate and powerful at the moment.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Well bullets dont always need to be lead ammunition with casing and gun powder etc, that is the common usage of the term. What does artillery fire? big bullets perhaps, rockets on the other hand have a propellant and can have 2 different types of fuel systems as far as I know.

If there is no gun powder and the projectile is expelled with magnetics I would still consider that a bullet, especially if its metal, perhaps less if its plasma but you still use magnetic fields to hold it in place and expel it I think.

I kinda know what youre getting at but I think it would turn UT into a game like any other game, the old, shotgun, assfile, pistol whip punk dealy which every other game does almost.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
hmmm I just read your post, but why are you talking about hitscans???
Gears of War isn't using the Hitscan technique at all and that isn't very great in term of gameplay for a Shooter game. :(
Think about a rocket, but faster... it's all what it is about.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... Oh my gosh... oh... oh.... oh....... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Still doesn't really answer my question, but w/e, the stinger is pretty much the gun you are looking for. If you think the stinger is too strong, try modding it, or a replacement for it that is more what you think should be there.

Point and click guns are pretty boring IMO, and even if they are coded as projectiles, that kind of speed is still effectively point and click at most ranges.

Too many bullet speed projectiles will limit your ability to move freely for fear of entering open spaces because too many weapons have the ability to off you with minimal leading or skill for doing so. It puts more skill in positioning than moving or shooting, and most of these maps aren't really made for that.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Strangely, the bullets in GoW looks more lkike the shards from the secondary fire of the stinger. Any clear explanation?

Status
Not open for further replies.