Tribes 2??????????

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DeTriXeZ

Jan 6, 2002
The Netherlands
Visit site
I went looking for info about UT2 but i couldn't find any. So I check out UC.
Man it looks more Tribes then UT to me.
Whit vehicles and armours 3 times the size of the guy who's wearing it.
:mad: :tdown: :(

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
/me raises eyebrow

If having vehicles and having big armors is enough for you to judge a game a Tribes clone then probably 80% of all future FPS games will be Tribes clones.

- The vehicles in UC are only light vehicles for 1-2 players. The vehicles don't have weapons like in Tribes. No tanks like in Tribes. No flying vehicles like in Tribes.

- It's mostly the Juggernauts, the Mercs and the Robots that have the bulky armors. The Aliens, the Nightmares and the Neo-Egypts are pretty slim.

J. Speed

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
Nov 21, 2001
USA
Visit site
Tribes2?? Hell no..

They ,DE, have not revealed all the vehicles. I'll put money on it we will see some form of a Tank and other kinds of vehicles.

Comparing UT2/UC to Tribes is like comparing a 76 Pinto to new Lexus. Well that comparison is far fetched, but my point is: UT2 Bases will be larger and much more functional. None of this stupid, idiotic CRAP!!! of having to use jet packs to get into your base. I think gamplay will be tons funner than Tribes2: Better character model selections, more weapons and most importantly different real terrain not some huge suck-egg map which has lumps for mountains-Tribes 2. Not only that Tribes2 graphics suck royally compared to UT, and UT was considered almost old by the time Tribes 2 came out.

UT2/UC will have in door buildings, caves, jungles, forest and who knows what else. Not only that Im sure all the maps will not be huge. They may even throw in smaller Death Match type maps for practice. Who knows? I do know there is very little comparision between UT2/UC..period..

Syri

Who are you calling short?
Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
i'm hoping that we will see some traditional enclosed maps aswell, there is such a thing as too many open plain levels. Also, making some enclosed ones too would further seperate UT2 from tribes 2

iddQd

Yours truly
Dec 26, 2001
Sweden
Hopefully UT2 wont be a Tribes II wannabe but I must say thatTII is an excelent game which must be played at least once!!

Whach me in action :)

07_22_01.jpg

Syri

Who are you calling short?
Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
Tribes 2 is good, i agree, but it's a totally different class to UT.
Also, i hope there isn't too much team emphasis, we need some good old DM aswell!

Law

I see...
May 2, 2000
Visit site
Even Tribes 2 has deathmatch. Don't worry, they won't forget to put in mandatory game modes like DM.

Personally, I'm getting a little sick of the "UT2 looks just like <insert FPS name>" posts.

Just take a deep breath and wait.

J. Speed

Nov 21, 2001
USA
Visit site
Another problem with Tribes2 in my oppinion was that the terrain all looked the same. The vehicles physics for some of the vehicles was questionable.

TossMonkey

brown bread?
Sep 4, 2001
Great Britain.
quakeguy.tumblr.com
UT2 looks like a tribes clone to the ordinary Joe. But if you look past it's creamy exterior, you will find that it's (or will be) a much more stable game. Hopefully.

And I absolutely hate the bases in Tribes 2 they suck BIG TIME! And the landscapes are totally crud. And the vehicles have rubbish handling. The graphics are very poor too. But other than that Tribes is great. Oh I just remembered that I hate the armour stations and stuff. But it's ok. Because it's still great. Aside from the lame people online who are worse than C-S players, because they take the game waaaaay too seriously. But it's still good. Honest.

;)

J. Speed

Nov 21, 2001
USA
Visit site
Yep Toss everything you said about Tribes 2 was right on target from my viewpoint. The only similarities between Tribes 2 and UT2 is that we can expect big maps and vehicles in UT2.
I also dont think all of the maps in UT2 will be big.

I hope UT2 has Tanks.

TossMonkey

brown bread?
Sep 4, 2001
Great Britain.
quakeguy.tumblr.com
Yep Toss everything you said about Tribes 2 was right on target from my viewpoint. The only similarities between Tribes 2 and UT2 is that we can expect big maps and vehicles in UT2.
I also dont think all of the maps in UT2 will be big.

Not everyone would agree with my (often) extremist views. I like to play only the most quality of games (hey, I spend a lot of time on them, wouldn't want to waste my life on something rubbish!).

I hope there are Tanks aswell, I mean if your going to include vehicular destruction why not go the whole nine yards?!

As for my Tribes2 bashing, I really don't have much against it. I did enjoy it (for the most part), I don't consider it a purchase that would last me as long as UT has done (which is why I'm here and not on BeyondTribes2.com).

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
I loved the T2. The only thing driving me away from it was the loss of my flatrate, making this allnighters impossible. Besides that it's one hell of a game.
Of course if all you like is DM, T2 is the wrong game for you, but I hope UT2 will be a bit like T2.
At least a class based mod (not the whole game) would rock

J. Speed

Nov 21, 2001
USA
Visit site
Tribes really is not a bad game. I often have to stop and remind myself that its not easy to make a game as good as UT and the like.
Tribes 2 also had a good concept and was headed in the right direction with the exception of the team's base design and base functionality.

Last edited:

Law

I see...
May 2, 2000
Visit site
Tribes 2 could have been a great game if it hadn't been rushed and plagued by patches that only caused more errors and FPS issues. Ironic how Sierra can cause a game to be a failure and then blame its development team.

Thankfully Digital Extremes won't be rushed into releasing UT2 because Unreal 2 will be released around the same time and the targeted date isn't near the Christmas season.

Take your time DE. Get it right!

Last edited:

J. Speed

Nov 21, 2001
USA
Visit site
Im hearing three different release times for UT2; Spring, Summer, or the beginning of Fall. As far as DE taking their time to produce this UT2. Time is all they seem to have since they were and still are working on UC and prior to that they were working on the MMO game Dark Sector .

U2 is Spring.

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
In his video interview, James Schmalz said that DE have lots of time to refine UT2, as the core game is more or less done, so that should mean the game will be a quality product.

As for T2, it's the best multiplayer game ever on that scale and could've been one of the best games ever period if Sierra hadn't insisted on releasing it early to compete with Black & White. It has probably the best netcode in any game ever, and scenes like the one that hound posted reflect how hectic the game can get when full-scale battles erupt.

It's also easier to "fit in" to a role in T2, as you don't have to stand there and shoot everything. You can be a sneaky assassin, or pilot a vehicle, or go and destroy the other team's base or do anything you feel you're good at.

I hope UT2 has some of T2's qualities, especially that sense of being involved in a huge battle and, of course, kickass netcode that doesn't assume everyone has broadband. (T2 plays great over a 56k).

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
Unreal Tournament and Tribes 2 are still in completely different genres.

Yes, they both feature FPS action, along with vehicles and large outdoor maps.

However, UT2 is a tactical FPS and T2 is a strategic FPS. If you don't know the difference, then please, stop comparing the two.

Further, while there will be vehicles and maps larger than those seen in UT, its scale is nowhere near that of T2, and large scale battles will not be a part of the game. Conversely, because it's designed around a closer, tactical combat scale, UT2 will fare better for close up individual battle.

UT2's competition is still the CounterStrikes of the world, whereas Tribes2's main competitor is the Operation Flashpoints.

So, please, stop with the fanboy dissing of Tribes2. You don't like the gameplay? No problem. But to act like pointing out what you don't like automagically makes UT2 better (despite the fact that NO ONE HERE HAS PLAYED IT) is juvenile.

TossMonkey

brown bread?
Sep 4, 2001
Great Britain.
quakeguy.tumblr.com
We aren't 'dissing' Tribes 2. If we were going to really slam it down (!), then we would have compared it to daikatana or something :D

We're just pointing out all the bad things about the game, which there are many. The concept was great, but the execution was poor. Simple as that.

If Tribes3 was being made, I'm sure it would rock.

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
Not with Sierra in charge and not with the "T1 vets" crying "T3 sux because it isn't T1".

Also I wouldn't buy it, because I have sworn to myself never to buy one Sierra game again.