Recommended Demos

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

(BoD) nepenthe

Sayee Lo
Aug 23, 2000
Denton, TX
www.nepentheisland.com
I've really enjoyed and learned from watching a few demos recently. I liked the PuF All Star ones. I enjoyed watching a guy named destrukt manhandle XS Pain in Phobos, Grinder, and Liandri. I've got some classics I've recorded myself.

My question is this: what classic demos are there available that are recommended/essential viewing? What ones have been most interesting/fun to watch? And besides cached.net, where can I pick those up?

Thanks!

Ultron

Robot XMP Beta Tester
Mar 6, 2000
Secret Hideout
clans.utworld.net
I saw those. Nomortal destroying Voyd in Liandri is among the top demos. The only things better than that are the two demos between Nomortal and Destruckt. Those two have set themselves among the best of the UT players. Destrukt wins in Codex and Nomortal wins in Deck16. Only because of bad respawning does there ever have a tremendous change in the game. Both players are very close to each other in terms of skill.

I was disappointed at how weak Nomortal seemed in Phobos when he played against the Butcher. Nothing against the Butcher. But it seems Nomortal was playing conservatively and get stomped for his reluctance. I have no doubt that Destrukt would clean up either Nomortal or the Butcher in Phobos, though. From what I've seen of Destrukt on that map.

|H|Alarion

Neighborhood godless fragger
Mar 30, 2000
Yorktown, VA
www.rabid-wolf.com
Hmm, I am mostly CTF, so those are the only ones I watch (although, I did watch the Voyd vs. Cobra demo) :)

I really enjoyed the C1 vs. 187 demos (from the teamplay.net UTI finals)
Maybe check out some |C| demos, or |DFB|...

I don't really watch ALOT of them, so I am sure there are some really great ones out there that I haven't even heard about... go to http://www.cached-fps.net and check some out :)

Have fun!

I really enjoyed the Destrukt vrs Pain demo on Grinder. In the beginning, Destrukt was in total control and was making Pain look like a newbie. However, once Pain got his first frag(he ended Destrukt's Rampage, I think) it seemed to shake up Destrukt which resulted in a more evenly match the rest of the way.

soyrico

Apr 2, 2000
Visit site
Hi Nep,

Because of your player name, I am constantly wanting to call you Bob Nepenthe.

I recorded a demo of Kravos "whipping" LK on deck16 that demonstrates how a really good player navigates that map. It wasn't a good match, but Kravnos moves like spiderman. It's enlightening. You are welcome to it.

My advice is record your own demos. I have always found that a demo of a match that I didn't spec is very antiseptic, if you know what I mean. I always learn more from demos that I actually speced and recorded.

Add some of the servers that the better players visit to your favorites tab and keep an eye peeled. If you see something in the browser that looks interesting, spec it and demo it if it is good. I find that more usefull actually.

Thanks

Jim
bodkins@Prologic.com

Ultron

Robot XMP Beta Tester
Mar 6, 2000
Secret Hideout
clans.utworld.net
Originally posted by -[BHS]-Firewall
I really enjoyed the Destrukt vrs Pain demo on Grinder. In the beginning, Destrukt was in total control and was making Pain look like a newbie. However, once Pain got his first frag(he ended Destrukt's Rampage, I think) it seemed to shake up Destrukt which resulted in a more evenly match the rest of the way.

That happens to a lot of players who end up doing so well in the first part of the game, they get like 10 frags up or more. Then they stop being aggressive. Stop hogging all the weapons/ammo/armor/health and wait the level out. The opponent starts stocking up and doing better until the lead starts to depreciate. It's a lame tactic, but done often. Some playres claim they are not fighting so they don't make their opponents look bad. I just think it's lame. I don't want to watch the winner spend the last 5 minutes running and hiding from his opponent. :)

(BoD) nepenthe

Sayee Lo
Aug 23, 2000
Denton, TX
www.nepentheisland.com
Thanks again!:)

Good advice. By the way Jim, I've located a small mutator which records every frame in a game or playback as a full size .bmp. The problem? It has a limit of 256 frames before UT simply stops recording screenshots. So that only gives a few seconds, but it's a start. I can work from there.