Just a Question

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ScrollMaster

SZ Mod Leader
Sep 28, 2004
Modding for UT (orignal)

My Character Models attack is that they can claw you with there arms

now I see two possible ways of proceeding

1a. Arms with Model

IF I were to have them attach to the model Id have to make extra animations whether or not he's attacking or not

walk attack

walk
run attack

run

crouch attack
crouch

so forth.....

1b. Arms as Weapons

-note were talking about the 3rd person weapon

now is it possible to have the arms as weapons? would I be able to attach them so the animation still looks fluent to its parent mesh (the character model) Can weapons not have to be Static. how would I go about rigging them? would I attach them to my Character Rigged with bones animate it with it them just delete the character body so the arms fir the body and I can export the animated frames?

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
a third approach is to use the animation blending capabilities of the Unreal engine. note that the UT200x pawns do not have separate "run and fire" anims, "crouch and fire" anims, etc. instead a base animation (such as RunF) is blended in code with an anim on a higher channel (e.g., Rifle_Burst), mainly according to parameters spec'd in the function AnimBlendParams().

search UDN and the Wiki for AnimBlendParams, and also look at how it is used in xPawn (UDE is a good tool for checking the class scripts). this is a good starting point for learning how the stock characters function in this regard.

ScrollMaster

SZ Mod Leader
Sep 28, 2004
oh! interesting... I would also like to implement the arms blow offable, either or if enough damage is done to them, so would they have to be separate objects to do that? or would AnimBlendParams be able to cover that?

ScrollMaster

SZ Mod Leader
Sep 28, 2004
I open the Actor class and Im not finding it... but Ive seen things that give me to believe that it does exist because in Rune there heads will face near by eneimes and there arms blow off and they run of the old engine.... but im not finding this function

Vailias

Aug 9, 2004
Elsewhere
www.starsiege2845.com
ScrollMaster. What you are looking for is the SetBoneScale function rather than AnimBlendParams.

I'm not fully sure that the skeletal animation blending was implemented in UT99. 2kx it is for sure, but in 99...

The locational damage is basically up to you, though for UT99 it would be best to do with an offset from the model's centerpoint, just as is done with headshots, But as for the blow off effect it would need to be in the TakeDamage function. As in
If (Damage>=Threshold)
{
SetBoneScale(bonename, 0.0);
Spawn(Class bonenamegib, vectoroffset);
}

Assuming I have remembered all my unreal script properly.

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
apologies, ScrollMaster -- i missed the reference to UT99 in your original post. Vailias is likely correct about anim blending being a later development.

ScrollMaster

SZ Mod Leader
Sep 28, 2004
ahaha I always throw in Modding for UT (orginal) at top, and everyone always misses that lol