need more help with textures i made

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JonnyBoy

alive
Jun 6, 2000
Visit site
ok, now i know i have to make my textures 256 colors and everything but when i do they look like something out of wolfesntein ten years ago! but when i make the 24 bit texture they look great. and i know somehow i can do it with 24 bit textures but i don't know how. can somone tell me?

example.
i made a moon texture with a black background so i can mask it to spruce up my sky box a little. so, i go to textures import it and it boots me out. its because its not an 8 bit texture right? is there a way to make a 24 bit texture and convert it?

sorry about that post i know it jumps around a lot.

JonnyBoy

alive
Jun 6, 2000
Visit site
???

do i just need to make 8 bit textures? that can't be though! i tried making another moon with the 8 bit but it didn't even look like a moon, it looked like yellow and white cookie that was left out in the sun for too long.

Atomiser

Aug 6, 2000
Not much comfort but.....

Quote:
The Unreal team creates textures in Fractal Painter and Photoshop, always working with the source art in 24-bit color. When a texture is complete, it is converted into a 256-color, palettized .pcx or .bmp file and imported into UnrealEd. To import a texture into UnrealEd, go into the texture browser (on the right side of the screen), and click on the "Import" button. When importing a texture, you can specify its name, the texture group it should appear in, and the package (.utx file) it should be saved in.
Unquote:

Trappey

Aug 17, 2000
www.digitalphobia.com
What art pakage are u using?

I use Paintshop Pro, i work on my texture in 24bit and once it's finished, I goto the colors tab and select "decrease color depth" and choose 256 colors (8 bit).
Or u can just hold down Shift+Ctrl+3

If u don't use Paintshop Pro i would imagine it's something simillar.

Hope that helps.

"If it ain't broke don't fix it"