UE3 - General Unreal 2 Golem (.gem) plugin for Blender.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

VendorX

Aug 2, 2010
BXL/Paris
Features:
Import a Unreal2 Golem (.gem) object file in to Blender editor, including the vertex maps such as UV, Morph, Color and Weight maps, bons hierarchy etc.

With this script you can export all that good stuff from Unreal 2 engine.

Version: 1.0 initial

Support:
-Blender 2,56
-UV Texutre
-Weight
-Armature Bones
-Material ID
-Aniation not supported

Bug - fix:
See ReadMe...

Download:
Pyton script - http://www.fileplanet.com/files/210000/218549.shtml
Blender - http://www.blender.org/download/

Update March 2011.
New Version: 2.0 - http://www.fileplanet.com/files/210000/219134.shtml
- BuildIn exporter
- Some optimisations

Update December 2011.
New Version: 2.1 - http://www.fileplanet.com/files/220000/224819.shtml
- Blender 2.59 support

Note: To export those models use BuildIn Exporter (look for option 'Export to .psk' when import) - because Blender has tendency to mess skeleton up... Exporter don't simply convert, he dump origonal model data to .psk (skip Blender interface...). Still animation not supported - ToDo...

Last edited:

VendorX

Aug 2, 2010
BXL/Paris
I forget abaut serious bug: when you already imported gem model in to Blender and you want import another (even as new model) you mast restart editor.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Just tried it, and looks good. Though unfortunately the .gem files for most of the weapons are not complete for some reason... For example, the Dispersion Pistol only shows a single triangle. But the Mind Claw is complete, the Singularity Cannon also seems to be right. The Spider Gun is missing quite a bit of faces, and the Laser Rifle only shows the ammo pack... Yet they are used in the game correctly, so I wonder where they keep that data...

VendorX

Aug 2, 2010
BXL/Paris
I know... I whose surprise too, but egsist an explanation. Sometimes Golem dont use meshes, just skeleton - mostly weapons and decorations. All that you see in the game is meany static meshes attashed to the shockets. They do this for bether performance. I tryd start discution in this topic, but nobody whant.
OK... SM you can find in MalekythM, but if you want to know witch egsact you need open GlmEd. In editor you can find all informations - whid witch schocked/bone is attached witch SM and where he is. If you want i can explain in the details.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Please do, that is definitely interesting. Though that means that the static meshes should be composed of different parts, since for example the Laser Rifle changes significantly while it's reloading.

VendorX

Aug 2, 2010
BXL/Paris
Laser Rifle... Beauty... My 'Golem adventure' begins with this weapon.
BTW, i've seen your post, where you sayings that you have alredy U2 weapons models and all you need is the animation...

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I was talking about static meshes there, and used the term "animation" in loose terms, that is, as "skeletal mesh with animation support".

Good luck :)

VendorX

Aug 2, 2010
BXL/Paris
OK... All information about schockets you can find in: YourModel/YourModel.gem/Entity Blueprint.Value.
Attach-Something - pointing to what is attached
Attach-Something-Node - pointing to bone

List of textures In: YourModel/YourModel.gem/Materials.Current Material.

PS: if you use Blender to export as .psk - don't do that. Blener exporter can't export mesh with multiple skins or multiple mesh groups.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Oh huh, that's true. MalekythM.usx has all the parts. So if I exported all the required parts and bones, then imported the bones to Blender and assigned the parts to bones, it should work, right? But then I would still need to export the thing...

VendorX

Aug 2, 2010
BXL/Paris
I use Milkshape to complete the models, it's easy to do... From Blender i export model to .psk, then in Milkshape you can find all needed positions of bones. Next step - export use Umodel all SM, then load one by one and put in rigth place in Milkshape. For complete models i have modified version of .psk exporter, but he work with Blender v2.53. 2.56 is different and is difficult to change pyton script. I let you now, when i finish that script.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
That's quite a complex procedure, and my Blender skills are quite rusty right now. But I'll give it a try and see what I get get out of this.

EDIT: I don't get it, why can I see the bone form when I manually add normal bones, but imported bones are only points?

Last edited:

VendorX

Aug 2, 2010
BXL/Paris
It's all about 'matrix' sh**. Blender use rotation matrix to setup bone tail, but at this stage of the development nobody really now how use it. Try to load original .psk... Skeleton is not like should be. This happen because of... I'm sure you understand term 'rotation matrix'. To do this right, i put them (tails) in the same place (almost) with heads and this is why you can't see the bons in Blender. During export, exporter loocking for heads and after import in to another 3d editor everything is fine.
Tip: If you want to setup all parts together, do it in different editor e.g. 3dsMax or Milkshape like me.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Well, I don't have any different editors... I guess it would be nice if someone else could assemble it for me, then.
Also, is there any progress on animation support?

VendorX

Aug 2, 2010
BXL/Paris
I you peoples want animation for Golem then i need some help:

In .gem each rotation was stored as 5 bytes...

Question is:
How that "5 bytes" can i transform to bone rotation?