Strange GalaxyAudio hardware 3D issue

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

WinMac

Apr 5, 2012
The problem:
It is best demonstrated in this extremely small video clip (the sound is somewhat low, so you may have to turn it up): http://www.mcelroygang.com/utaudio2.mp4

The problem is the shrieking/clicking sound as the Ripper blades ricochet across the room (happens at other times, but Deck16+Ripper is just the easiest way for my to reproduce it).

This occurs whenever I have Hardware 3D Sound enabled. I do not have the issue with OpenAL or FMOD, but I like the EAX effects in Galaxy and I really want to figure out what is causing this regardless (even if just simply for intellectual curiosity).

My setup:
I have a PCI X-Fi Elite Pro (Game Mode) and am running Windows 7 x64 on a Core i7 2600K P8P67 Deluxe system.

Things I have tried that have not helped:
- setting latency > 40
- countless combinations of buffers and duration in ALchemy
- various compatibility mode settings
- running in Windows XP to use native DirectSound
- X-Fi driver versions 2.18.0013, 2.18.0015, 2.18.0015A
- different OpenAL releases
- Direct3D (stock and 10), OpenGL, and even software rendering
- with and without S3TC textures
- EAX patched GalaxyAudio.dll and stock GOTY GalaxyAudio.dll (all under 436)
- adjusting EffectsChannels under Galaxy settings
- game install from Unreal Extreme and Anthology
- CPU overclocked and at stock clock
- with and without the Elite Pro breakout box connected
- with and without EAX and CMSS-3D enabled in the Audio Console

I don't have problems outside of UT with hardware audio so I don't think the card is messed up, but I'm certainly not ruling it out at this point.

I had a friend set up UT in this fashion on his Titanium Fatality and he says he did not experience the issue. I have not found anyone with a first-gen X-Fi to test.

So, anyone else experience anything similar to this?

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
Did you try switching UseDirectSound=True to "False" ?

Bare in mind, the patched EAX library only has profiles for most of the original base maps (It does sound awesome).
There is no benefit when you play newer maps.

OpenAL also supports EAX, so also make sure that the Windows OpenAL is uptodate (not the old one in the OMP multimedia update).

Another UT99 sound quality thread. Try there as well.
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3450

Mang Nux

Sep 14, 2010
Did you try switching UseDirectSound=True to "False" ?

Bare in mind, the patched EAX library only has profiles for most of the original base maps (It does sound awesome).
There is no benefit when you play newer maps.

OpenAL also supports EAX, so also make sure that the Windows OpenAL is uptodate (not the old one in the OMP multimedia update).

Another UT99 sound quality thread. Try there as well.
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3450

Do the Creative EAX patches work with Galaxy in Windows 7?