PC Troubles

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Feb 26, 2001
England
My USB devices have stopped working, the only way I can use my mouse is to run it through a USB > PS2 D-pin thing (?) Converter.

Anyone else had a problem like this? Its a real killer, it keeps trying to install a device and giving me a stupid error message, I'll get back and post it in a sec.

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
I had that so damned often. It had to do with something being USB2.0 and windows being something lower than that. When booting up windows the first time it would automatically install USB 2.0 but I couldn't click on the damned next button. That was annoying.

What helped was doing something with my motherboard, installing the drivers I think.

Feb 26, 2001
England
"An error occured during the installation of the device

The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance"

Nice ****ing error message...

ravens_hawk

Apr 20, 2002
Visit site
What OS you running? (I'm assuming windows, but XP what service pack etc)
I remeber reading somewhere the SP2 was required for USB2.0 on XP though I could be completely off.
Either way it sounds like a driver failed somewhere along the line, try updating MB drivers (ie usb controllers.)
On further reading try installing drivers for the device insted of letting windows install them. How many USB devices are you running? Change/add anything recently? If its just the mouse try a different USB port...

{Ghetto_Ghepetto}

I am #1 Asian big boob queen!
Jun 4, 2001
CA
Windows Update :X. I don't know why certain people are so against SP2, it doesn't affect anything on my computer (although I did disable the firewall and virus protectiong because McAfee does all of that).

Feb 26, 2001
England
Wow, my PC was ****ed up!!!

I installed a new bios, and my pc wouldnt start. ****!! I was worried. Today I came home and it posted, I ****ed around for a bit and eventually got it to start up. I thought my mb was toast!!! Im so ****ing happy right now!!!!! This and the fact that my ex-gf seems cool now and doesnt want to kill me or get me fired!!!

What a ****ing day!!!!

Everything is fine!!! I'm a happy happy camper!!

Time to virus scan I think..

{Ghetto_Ghepetto}

Jun 4, 2001
CA
Next time that happens Snakebite you can always reset the bios via the cmos jumper. Although it will set everything back to factory default settings and you will probably have to reset many settings, it's good to know if you accidentally can't boot anymore. It should show you where it is on your motherboard layout card (that should be on the chasis of your case somewhere) or in your motherboard's manual.

There should be 3 pins and 2 that are covered by the blue jumper plastic thingy. Just switch the jumper (small, usually blue, plastic cover looking thing) over to expose one of the covered pins. This will cause one of the exposed pins to be covered. Let it sit for about 10-15 seconds. Then switch it back. I'll try to illustrate an e-jumper for you:

Code:
| = pin
[ ] = jumper

If your cmos is like this:

|  [  ]

Take off the jumper:

|  |  |

Change it to this to reset the bios:

[  ]  |

Wait for 10-15 seconds.
Then, change it back:

|  [  ]

Hope that made sense. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ravens_hawk

Apr 20, 2002
Visit site
That resets the CMOS settings (like HD, RAM, CPU and overclocking settings etc.) That won't effect your BIOS if you flashed a new version on it.
However if you're able to get any kind of startup you can always reflash to a lower version.
If its not booting chances are its a CMOS setting or Windows being a bitch.

Feb 26, 2001
England
It was hardware problems, I'm not sure what, but it was wierd. I basicly went around unhooking and hooking stuff back up. Very wierd..

{Ghetto_Ghepetto}

Jun 4, 2001
CA
Ah, that happened to me once, except my comp would boot and then randomly restart. I went through my case and unplugged and replugged every part. It fixed the problem. It must have been a loose connection of some sort.