light with out a source!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

toxikcunk

MulletJoe
Aug 22, 2001
Mulletjoe.com
Visit site
u see, i am making this map and i went through and added tourches and light, but when i play the map, there is light but no flame.

can someone please help me out here???????

Zaphrod

President of the Universe
Sep 27, 2000
Betelgeuse V
Visit site
How new are you to Ued?

You know when you add those little things called light actors that little picture of that torch doesnt show up in game, it is only to represent the light source.

If you want a flame you have to add sheet brushes with a masked translucent fire texture . Have a look at how the flames were done at the top of the towers in CTF-Face for an Idea how they should be done.

kvak

Jul 27, 2001
The Netherlands
Visit site
If you open de actors screen and open up the "lights" sub-menu, you'll find the torch flame actor in there. This torch flame looks better than sheet based torches. Note that it itself is a light source using dynamic lightning, so it might slow down your level.

- To switch of the dynamic lightning open the "torchflame-properties", go to "advanced" look for something like "lighttype" (I think), switch this to none.
- To scale down your light go to "advanced" again and decrease the "drawscale".
- To change it into a different kinda torch. Select a nice torch texture, under "advanced" again open up "multiskins" and add this texture under skin no. 2 by hitting the use button. If you're using a different color of torch you might want to add a black texture under skin no. 1
- To turn of the lightning simply set "lightbrightness" under lightning to 0

Zaphrod

President of the Universe
Sep 27, 2000
Betelgeuse V
Visit site
Kvak, the Torch flame actor is nothing more than a sheet based torch that has been made into a mesh. It looks identical to a sheet brush torch. It is easier to use but it doesnt have the flexability.

You dont have to use the dynamic lighting of the torch actor if you dont want to and I always add a seperate light when I am using a dynamic light because otherwise when yuo turn of dynamic lighting you have no lighting at that point.

kvak

Jul 27, 2001
The Netherlands
Visit site
Any other (torch) texture can be applied to the Torchflame-actor using the multiskins options.
Next to that a torchflame actor won't display the darkish edges around torches in software mode, like you see in many maps and a torch flame actor as far as I know behaves as an ordinary light, the only thing with it is the lightning is set standard to a orange like dynamic light, "firery wave or something".
Any of these options is editable.

Last edited:

Machismo

Up The Irons
Jul 21, 2001
MaidenHead
cloud.prohosting.com
Originally posted by kvak
Any other (torch) texture can be applied to the Torchflame-actor using the multiskins options.
Next to that a torchflame actor won't display the darkish edges around torches, like you see in many maps and a torch flame actor as far as I know behaves as an ordinary light, the only thing with it is the lightning is set standard to a orange like dynamic light, "firery wave or something".
Any of these options is editable.

i used the mutiskin option on my map and been told it sucked big time 'cause of the way in which it shrinks or expnds the tex to fit the original tex.

oh hell what does it matter ;)