BIOS won't recognize hard drive

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SolaceEternal

SPANK THAT TUNA
Apr 29, 2004
Okay, so, this is an older issue I have decided to try to fix again.

About two years ago, I screwed up windows on one hard drive. So I bought another, got it working. Somewhere along the process of hooking the new one to the old one [the data on it is fine; I had just screwed up windows, and didn't want to reformat everything. A while later I was told I likely wouldn't have had to reformat, but that's beside the point] somethin' screwed up. I don't know if I had bumped it too hard while sliding it back into the slot or what. I have read that if you hook the data cable to the drive without hooking the power cable up too or something like that it'll mess with CMOS, and I might have done this, but I don't know what to do about that.

I think I had actually gotten it working, and then it just stopped reading the drive. While in windows. I don't remember.

The bottom line is this: if it's hooked up at all, BIOS doesn't know what it is. Period. Despite that this is the hard drive that actually came with the computer.

Also, not only will it not work on it's own, but if the newer hard drive is connected too, it won't recognize either of them.

All I do know about this is that it ain't the jumpers. I've tried every setting, and gotten no result.

How do I fix this? I just want the data off it.

...Is it even remotely possible that my flash drive is affecting this? I know it's a shot in the dark, but I had left it plugged in when I re-installed windows, and the result is that while I can browse stuff on it, it's somehow read-only. Also, it somehow took the D: slot, so my cd and dvd drives are now E: and F:.

-n7-

May 12, 2006
Edmonton, AB
Okay, so, this is an older issue I have decided to try to fix again.

About two years ago, I screwed up windows on one hard drive. So I bought another, got it working. Somewhere along the process of hooking the new one to the old one [the data on it is fine; I had just screwed up windows, and didn't want to reformat everything. A while later I was told I likely wouldn't have had to reformat, but that's beside the point] somethin' screwed up. I don't know if I had bumped it too hard while sliding it back into the slot or what. I have read that if you hook the data cable to the drive without hooking the power cable up too or something like that it'll mess with CMOS, and I might have done this, but I don't know what to do about that.

I think I had actually gotten it working, and then it just stopped reading the drive. While in windows. I don't remember.

The bottom line is this: if it's hooked up at all, BIOS doesn't know what it is. Period. Despite that this is the hard drive that actually came with the computer.

Also, not only will it not work on it's own, but if the newer hard drive is connected too, it won't recognize either of them.

All I do know about this is that it ain't the jumpers. I've tried every setting, and gotten no result.

How do I fix this? I just want the data off it.

...Is it even remotely possible that my flash drive is affecting this? I know it's a shot in the dark, but I had left it plugged in when I re-installed windows, and the result is that while I can browse stuff on it, it's somehow read-only. Also, it somehow took the D: slot, so my cd and dvd drives are now E: and F:.

You've tried "every setting" for jumpers?

There shouldn't be an "every setting" mentioned here, you should be hooking it up by itself as cable select, at least for initial testing.

Have you tried a different IDE cable?

And are you absolutely certain that you know the correct master/slave jumper settings for the two drives?

Assuming that all this is true, then it's possible the drive is dead, & Windows nor software is obviously going to see it.

Does it cause the BIOS screen to hang for a while while it tries to read the drive?

SolaceEternal

SPANK THAT TUNA
Apr 29, 2004
You've tried "every setting" for jumpers?

There shouldn't be an "every setting" mentioned here, you should be hooking it up by itself as cable select, at least for initial testing.

Have you tried a different IDE cable?

If it were the cable, how would the new one be working?

And are you absolutely certain that you know the correct master/slave jumper settings for the two drives?

For the new one, I don't, but it should be on cable select. Less of an issue here because if I can't get my computer to read from the old one at all it's a moot point.

It actually has the jumper positions labeled on a sticker on the back of the old hard drive, hence how I know what to do with them.

Assuming that all this is true, then it's possible the drive is dead, & Windows nor software is obviously going to see it.

Does it cause the BIOS screen to hang for a while while it tries to read the drive?

Yeah, actually.