Fundamentalists in government

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

OICW

Reason & Logic > Religion
http://166.70.44.66/2004/Jul/07072004/utah/181590.asp

Reading from the Bible on the floor of the Senate on Tuesday, Sen. Orrin Hatch endorsed a federal judicial nominee who wrote that wives should have a subordinate role in marriage, with the Utah Republican emphasizing "millions and millions of people will agree with" that view.

Hatch also discounted criticism over a 1980 letter Holmes wrote to a newspaper arguing that rape victims should not be allowed to have abortions because "conceptions from rape occur with approximately the same frequency as snowfall in Miami." Holmes has since apologized for the comment.

This is why I'm against fundamentalists of any religion being in power; believe in your own views as you like, but don't even think about using them to repress any members of a society if you're in power just because your religion thinks it's a great idea.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
c:\>move c:\countrys\germany\Hadmar.brush countrys\canada
It's so easy.

Seperation is a must.

Last edited:

unixman

[pthread] The Clan of One
Apr 8, 2001
Bakersfield, CA
www.stridernet.ath.cx
Law should play no part in attempting to instill values unto its citizens. Law is to provide protections for liberty and justice. This is exactly why Jefferson and Madison fought for the seperation of Church and State. You cannot have freedom of religion or mind when the law attempts to implement the "moral" views of a select group.

My wife is my equal. I would never look upon her as my subordinate. A wife requires respect. She is not my sex slave. She is not my domestic servant. If these men can find willing participents to partake in their shame, that's fine. But, I'll be damned if I would allow such behavior to be enforced as a matter of law.

Don't even get me started on the rape issue. I'm all for women being able to defend themselves. If a man attempted to rape my wife, his life would end before he layed a hand on her.

The Christian right wing has always been a prevailant force in U.S. politics. I am grateful that our constitution has survived intact after decades of attack from their fundamentalistic and simplistic views. The fight for liberty is a never ending one. There will never be a day when the powers that be will not attempt to take it away; now so more than ever. Take our freedom away in the name of national security. I say nay! Fear terrorists? No. Fear your own government.

Okay that's enough patriotic ranting. :D

Last edited:

RPGKnight

Jul 12, 2004
Hey, everyone knows women are useless. It's been common fact for quite some time. Hey, I mean, Hitler* agreed with it; he knew women were only good for making babies. And if Hitler says it, then it's right**.

*I'm serious, he did.
**I've had trouble in the past like this, so, in case you couldn't figure it out, I'm joking.

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
So what exactly is the government supposed to do? Make a list of all opinions one can find in the Bible, and ban people with those opinions from holding a government position?

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
FeelTheUniverseXXX said:
So what exactly is the government supposed to do? Make a list of all opinions one can find in the Bible, and ban people with those opinions from holding a government position?

WOOOOO WOOOOOOOO! HERE COMES THE CLUE TRAIN! LAST STOP IS YOU!

The problem isn't that he has an opinion in common with the Bible. The problem is that his sole justification for his actions is that the Bible says so. Separation of Church and State is based on the entire concept that laws get written because people want them or need them, not because Jesus says so.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
jaunty said:

The problem isn't that he has an opinion in common with the Bible. The problem is that his sole justification for his actions is that the Bible says so. Separation of Church and State is based on the entire concept that laws get written because people want them or need them, not because Jesus says so.

...Jaunty was writing this as he began to light a crucifix on fire...

:lol:

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
jaunty said:

And elections are based on the entire concept that citizens decide who will serve in their governments. If citizens want to vote for people who use the Bible as their justification, they have the right to do that. That's the reality of the situation.

Now, what do you propose the government do? Care to draft up a process in which certain people are barred from running for office based on the justification for their beliefs, as well as a system that removes those people from office, thus nullifying the citizen votes?

Yeah, there's no way that would fail.

Cute. How about we focus on the Reality Train for a moment, on account it's the one that ultimately matters. That's a little more difficult than making witty Mojo statements, no?

Horror of the Heights

Random jackass from the year 2000!
Jul 15, 2004
^

That isn't a Mojo statement...That's a Maddox thing. http://maddox.xmission.com/ check the hate mail. Jaunty, if Maddox found out you were stealing his material, he'd crush you with his eyelid. :p

feeltheuniversexxx said:
Now, what do you propose the government do? Care to draft up a process in which certain people are barred from running for office based on the justification for their beliefs, as well as a system that removes those people from office, thus nullifying the citizen votes?

There would be absolutely no need for that. Also there already is a separation of church and state. If there wasn't, we'd be seeing a wide range of christian right-wing missions going on around the country right now - Don't believe in god? Then off to a concetration camp you go! Don't come back until you've fully memorized the bible, and placed faith in our lord and savior!

Now that would be terrible.

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
FTU does have a point.

I can't really be bothered arguing this in detail because I feel like I am about to start vomitting phlegm any minute, but while you can make it so that church isn't formally recognised as being part of a countries constitution the people in power should represent the beliefs of the general populace which in the case of America means you're stuck with a % of right wing fundie nutcases.