UC for Gamecube

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
well they could, and i think they will
i doubt they will have the time to make another game

victorch98

Sep 5, 2003
Visit site
Huh ? Are you serious ? For the GC ? Hummmm, how will the control scheme affect gameplay ???? Since the GC controller is so small, it's just good to play adventures games only, no fighting games, no FP games. Well see.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
the only reason it would be smoother is that the graphics chip of the GC has much more strict requirements than that in the XBox...the Xbox is more like a PC in it's flexibility in running more or less data. The GC is more restrictive of that, so things like adding pixel shaders or removing them are not available.

missPoopShoot

voodoo rage
Jul 13, 2003
Cambridge, UK
Visit site
victorch98 said:
...Since the GC controller is so small, it's just good to play adventures games only, no fighting games, no FP games. Well see.

Welllll... The best version of Soul Calibur 2 is the GC version because of the controller. Metroid Prime is the best console shooter behind Halo and doesn't suffer because of the controller. A good games dev will work with the controller and as long as it isn't a lazy port, I'm sure the GC controller would work very well.

Sir_Brizz said:
the only reason it would be smoother is that the graphics chip of the GC has much more strict requirements than that in the XBox...the Xbox is more like a PC in it's flexibility in running more or less data. The GC is more restrictive of that, so things like adding pixel shaders or removing them are not available.

I agree this is a big problem. The good thing is, UT2003/4 is not dependent on shaders for its' graphical effects - I could certainly live without them. AFAIK UT2003 uses nothing, shader wise, that the GC doesn't have built in. Simple shaders can also be emulated, albeit with a processor hit.

TossMonkey said:
As this thread was started 2 years ago I would hazard a guess that theres no new game from DE coming out on the cube.

:lol: Probably not :mad:

JamesKilton said:
AND, now that Microsoft is the publisher, that will never come to pass.

:mad: Darn :)

PS. How do you guys like the new avatar and sig? :D

aruon 177

Maya PLE fanboy
Jul 20, 2003
Visit site
why not make UC on the ps2 that would be damn cool if they did,becasue the ps2 can take on games useing the unreal engine.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
no it can't the PS2 blows, sucks, licks and everything else....bad graphics runs slow...has good games, but putting UC on tehre wouldn't attribute to that at all...

Hedge

Wish I was with her
Sep 12, 2003
out in the boonies
Visit site
Thread bumping. The most glorious thing ever. A port of UC to either the GC or PS2 would look nothing short of crummy. The PS2 doesn't have the power and the gamecube disks can only hold 1.5gb of data. Considering that 2k3 is 3 gb and UC is probably around 2.5 gb, you would have to swap disks on the GC during map changes. :(

Bloodsplat

I'm still here?
Jan 21, 2004
GC controller = Worthless paper weight for fighters, shooters and action titles. If you want the best Soul Calibur 2 experience, Xbox with arcade sticks on an HDtv. Coming from the position of running Soul Calibur 2 tournys, people at the events want high res gaming and comfortable arcade sticks to play on and not some kiddie crap who looks like a mutated failure of the SNES pad with love handles. The Gamecube nearly failed due to it focusing on a demograph of players who knew jack of the letters "N", "E", and "S" strung together. Infact the cube nearly went the ways of the dreamcast if not for the refocusing of management (after losing 1/3rd of the orginal staff behind NES, SNES, and Gameboy) and development AND the price cut to 99 dollars. Even at the price of 129.99, the cube was still being out sold by the Xbox. Now with the price cut, there are more cubes sold recently but don't think this is good news. Nintendo is losing profits badly from the hardware price cut. We are talking ATi GPU and a rather speedy processor in the funky shapped thing and neither of the two are cheap to build or purchase.

UT2k3 does rely on Shaders for the graphical appeal of the game. If not, you're praticaly missing the whole point of UT2k3/4. The cube has shader support due to the ATi GPU, but does not have any shader info for each game. Yeah, shaders can be emulated but your processor hit would make games unplayable and unenjoyable for the system.

UncleThursday

teh suxx0r
Sep 6, 2004
Hell, AKA New Jersey
www.gamesarefun.com
*decides to have a little fun*

Bloodsplat said:
GC controller = Worthless paper weight for fighters, shooters and action titles. If you want the best Soul Calibur 2 experience, Xbox with arcade sticks on an HDtv. Coming from the position of running Soul Calibur 2 tournys, people at the events want high res gaming and comfortable arcade sticks to play on and not some kiddie crap who looks like a mutated failure of the SNES pad with love handles.

Which is why the PS2 and Xbox versions sold like crap compared to the GC version, right? And since the Xbox version sold like crap compared to the PS2 version... I guess that means it sold like absolute dog**** compared to the GC version. So much for your theories.

The Gamecube nearly failed due to it focusing on a demograph of players who knew jack of the letters "N", "E", and "S" strung together. Infact the cube nearly went the ways of the dreamcast if not for the refocusing of management (after losing 1/3rd of the orginal staff behind NES, SNES, and Gameboy) and development AND the price cut to 99 dollars. Even at the price of 129.99, the cube was still being out sold by the Xbox.

Funny, according to NPD, the GC outsold the Xbox for the whole year of 2003 in the end, in North America. And the GC has outsold the Xbox, overall, worldwide as well. The Xbox is in last place by over half a million units, worldwide.

Now with the price cut, there are more cubes sold recently but don't think this is good news. Nintendo is losing profits badly from the hardware price cut. We are talking ATi GPU and a rather speedy processor in the funky shapped thing and neither of the two are cheap to build or purchase.

Nintendo made over half a billion in profits last year. I guess your 'they're losing money' thoughts were a bit, um, uneducated? Besides, Sony lost money, as an entire company, for two years in a row with the end of their last fiscal year; and Microsoft has lost over $2 billion on the Xbox so far.

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
victorch98 said:
Huh ? Are you serious ? For the GC ? Hummmm, how will the control scheme affect gameplay ???? Since the GC controller is so small, it's just good to play adventures games only, no fighting games, no FP games. Well see.

1 player can use 2 controllers at once. That is how I play Golden Eye ;)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
UncleThursday said:
*decides to have a little fun*

Which is why the PS2 and Xbox versions sold like crap compared to the GC version, right? And since the Xbox version sold like crap compared to the PS2 version... I guess that means it sold like absolute dog**** compared to the GC version. So much for your theories.

Funny, according to NPD, the GC outsold the Xbox for the whole year of 2003 in the end, in North America. And the GC has outsold the Xbox, overall, worldwide as well. The Xbox is in last place by over half a million units, worldwide.

Nintendo made over half a billion in profits last year. I guess your 'they're losing money' thoughts were a bit, um, uneducated? Besides, Sony lost money, as an entire company, for two years in a row with the end of their last fiscal year; and Microsoft has lost over $2 billion on the Xbox so far.
So... do you have any sources for your information? Everything I've read on NPD (and elsewhere) shows Gamecube dead last on everything for Q4 2003 and Annual 2003. While they had an increase in sales (21.8% I believe) Q1 2004 and MS and Sony showed losses, they still showed up last because the increase didn't envelop the difference that was already made. It's true that XBox and GC are very close in the running, but I still see XBox with roughly 9mil units and GC with roughly 7mil.