virtual memory settings help

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpleton

Nov 28, 1999
Visit site
Is there any advantage/disadvantage to using more than 200MB if you have the space? (I have always heard that your swap should be about 2x your RAM, at least for NT) For now, I have plenty of space available and was wondering if it helps or hurts performance by bumping the swap up.

Thanks

Simpleton, NO if you set the swapfile size higher the worstest thing that can happen is that Win doesn't use it and you waste HD-space. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

With my 128MB Ram UT runs fine/smooth and the swapfile is almost never used (killed every background application).

More important is a defragmented hd and (if you own them) use the NU Speeddisk to get you swapfile in one piece to the first sectors of your hd (fastest zone). This will give you another speed gain. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

The Gravedigger

Nov 25, 1999
If only everyone had names like Simpleton, I could insult them with a smile on my face /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

"Simpleton, you're a Simpleton!" etc.

Nope? oh well, just ignore this then.

Simpleton

Nov 28, 1999
Visit site
Thanks for the info Berserk.[$FCE2]. I guess I should move it to the "lowest" partition, then? Meaning if I have 10 GB drive split into 5 drives, I should put it on the c: drive, right?

Gravedigger, - you just saved me some time - since you just dug your own grave. All I need to do is find out which sever you're on. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.