UT3 The Making of CTF-Pipeline

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
It's SHOOP DA WHOOP YOU JERK I'M CHARGIN MAH LAZURS!!!!

ShoopDaWhoop.jpg

Last edited:

stevelois

Aug 31, 2009
stevelois.com
Wow Bazz, your last post showing your progress is simply amazing. Honestly :D

I always loved those old, damaged materials. It's really nice my Bazz ;)

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
One quick question, what program are you using to generate the normal maps and the height maps? The materials look fan-****ing-tastic.

[Insta]-Loque

Sep 3, 2009
Wow, these UT3 maps are more complexed to make than a fully fledged trance track with automation in Cubase 5 :p

Great art dude!

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
One quick question, what program are you using to generate the normal maps and the height maps? The materials look fan-****ing-tastic.

Hey Cooloola

There is more to it then just the program, In fact I'm using a combination of crazybump, and the nvidia normal map photoshop plugin for developers.

But what I'm doing before I generate a normal texture is in some cases boosting the contrast, or, in the case of my bricks, I painted the dark cracks in a new layer set with a blend mode of darken before generating the normal. After the normal was generated I turned this layer off when I saved my diffuse targa.
See it here. The first picture is my diffuse the second shows the darker lines I added before generating my normal.

Here's some other things I have been working on. A simple Pillar that incorporates my brick material.

This is a texture I'm working on which will be applied to my caves.

And below is what is going to be a old broken brick arch mesh. I am going to make this by modeling 4 high detail bricks and baking the detail into low poly versions before finally bending them to shape. I'm going to bend it once I have laid out my UVs, this way I can use the same texture for a strait version.

And here is a quick drawing I did at work to help me imagine where I was heading.

This final picture is by no means any part of my level, its merely a collection of meshes I made (excluding the lantern, I'm still making that) that I just add and put together in the engine to see how it looks in my lighting. but I thought I would show it anyway.
lightingmeshconcept03.jpg

Last edited:

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
Hey Cooloola

There is more to it then just the program, In fact I'm using a combination of crazybump, and the nvidia normal map photoshop plugin for developers
Yeah, Crazybump is awesome I miss it :(
Keep up the great work on the map.

acapulco

Mar 6, 2009
Yer, following this on and on. Like what I'm seeing. What I am not seeing is the column. And those bricks are a bit to round.
Second thing is the colors in your map. Are you going to just give it colors over light?

Mr. UglyPants

2007 never existed, it was all a dream.
Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh
Its looking terrific Bazz. Cannot wait. You should someday also think of making a Jailbreak map, or convert some of your maps to Jailbreak. :D :D

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Yer, following this on and on. Like what I'm seeing. What I am not seeing is the column. And those bricks are a bit to round.
Second thing is the colors in your map. Are you going to just give it colors over light?

Not entirely sure what you mean, but I will light my map as I always have, and IMO my bricks turned out just as I wanted them to. Thanks for your support man :)

Its looking terrific Bazz. Cannot wait. You should someday also think of making a Jailbreak map, or convert some of your maps to Jailbreak. :D :D

Thanks Mr Pants haha and everyone else for there positive comments.

I will be posting the Pre-Alpha Layout so if anyone is keen they can have a run round and give me some comments.

In the meantime here's some more pictures of what I have been working on.
Here's the final of the brick Arch that I was making. I'm trying to keep it very modular so that I can use these pieces in many ways in the level.

And these pics are of a high poly version and a low poly version of a lantern that I am working on. Still needs allot of texture work. Edit, Just added the final as seen in the unreal engine.

Last edited:

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Shouldn't the strap on the lantern be lowered because of gravity? Unless the lamps will be suspended.

It is on a small angle but that's how it would be in real life due to the hooks and the hole that its through being on an angle. This reference image shows what I mean. a lot of pictures on the net show these types of lanterns with there handles stuck up. I can easily change it if it looks a little weird, but I might be hanging some of these.
http://www.worldofstock.com/slides/PHI2823.jpg

Last edited:

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Hi everyone How are we doing.

Sorry I have not posted In a while, I have found allot of fun playing Wipeout HD and things can also be pretty hectic when mates want to have a night on the town every second day :-s haha.

Anyway here is the latest. remember its all WIP and noting is final.

I have been making a set of Lights (another two) to share the texture space of the lantern, so I will use one material for all three to save on memory and performance. They use the same Light casing to save texture space too.

And here is a low poly wooden plank with only an ambient occlusion texture applied at this stage. Still got to do all the texture work.

Some industrial details. Yet to be renders and I'm going to add 3 models into the one texture map.

And Finally a set of Pipes I made one Monday. Started with a medium poly version in max, exported it out to mudbox, sculpted in some small details on to a high poly 2.5m Poly model. then finally baked the normal maps onto the Low poly versions you see there, yet to be textured.

LP version about 600 polys from memory.

Hope you find it interesting, if there are things you want me to post about the process let me know and ill do my best to add as much info as possible.

Last edited:

Jetfire

Jul 25, 2005
Bear in mind, before getting too happy with saving tex space by making multiple models share mats- physmats for surface impact decals/emitters/sounds- what would ya do if your wooden plank, the metal lamp frame, and the glass part of the lamps were all on the same material? ^_^

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
AHhh. haha good point. Lucky for me I have not mixed the type of physical materials. Ie wood on its own, metal on its own etc. :) didn't think about it, but out of simple organization I luckily didn't fall into that trap. thanks for letting me know though :) The light you see with the initial wood plank on the back will actually require two material IDs.

Last edited:

SuperAlgae

Tritoxa incurva
Aug 10, 2005
Bear in mind, before getting too happy with saving tex space by making multiple models share mats- physmats for surface impact decals/emitters/sounds- what would ya do if your wooden plank, the metal lamp frame, and the glass part of the lamps were all on the same material? ^_^

AHhh. haha good point. Lucky for me I have not mixed the type of physical materials.

Isn't it really the textures that use a lot of memory? I think you could make two materials using the same texture without using much extra memory.

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Isn't it really the textures that use a lot of memory? I think you could make two materials using the same texture without using much extra memory.

Yeah that's what I mean sorry, I was saying they dont have a texture yet because I'm going to bake 3 meshes into the one texture map.

This may sound a bit stupid from a non-architectural point of view, but arches never have an even number of pieces... :p

Anyway, stuff looks fantastic... Cant wait! :tup::tup:

my reference would say otherwise :p but it is questionable.

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4994/famagusta.jpg

Thanks thought :)