UT2007 Hardware Requirements Revisited

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Yesterday we reported an article (sourced to Extreme-Players) in PC Games Hardware that listed UT2007 Hardware specs as given by Epic Games, only to have the specs declared invalid by two Epic sources. Thilo Bayer, Editor-in-Chief PCG Hardware, sent in some clarification about the translation as well as his source for those specs:

First, there are some faults in the translation:

Beyond Unreal:
minimum: 2.8GHz, 512mb Ram,Geforce6
for high details: 3-4GHz, 1Gb Ram, Nvidia 6800GT/ultra or 7800GT/GTX SLI

PCGH:
required hardware for highest in-game detail including 4x FSAA and 8:1 AF: 3-4GHz, 1Gb Ram, Nvidia 6800GT/ultra or 7800GT/GTX SLI

Beyond Unreal:
64 Bit version available with better textures

PCGH:
Improvements with the 64 Bit version: Possibility to adress more textures, vertices and levels

Second, as I clarified in a seperate e-mail with Mark Rein, we have some misunderstanding in the term "minimum specs". We mean "minimum specs for high in game detail" which is not the same as bare "minimum specs" so that the game runs at all.

Third, as we didn't get current data from Midway/Epic for this special article (which included the best games for 2006, by the way), we are forced to leave UT 2007 out of the article or use old data from an interview we did with Mark Rein in September 2004. We decided to use this old data. In this interview, Mark said (original words from tape!):

"Based on the current status of our development, you need a Geforce6 for good performance. This card uses Shader Model 3 and is very powerful. The minimum for CPU power is 2.8 GHz, and you need 512 Mbyte of memory."

Based on this statement, we projected the hardware specs for highest detail including AA/AF. So this is a full PCGH recommendation. No Epic info.

PC Games Hardware knows very well that no minimum specs of UT 2007 exist at the moment.

Please accept my apologies for any misunderstandings and for any trouble you had with this issue. PC Games Hardware has no interest to damage the sales of UT 2007. We all hope that this title will rock!

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
So, for a playable game with reasonable settings you need a 2.8GHz CPU (Performance Rating), 512MB Ram and a Geforce6.

That's not even a high-end machine for these days, nice.

Still need quite an large system upgrade though.. don't have PCIe, only AGP :(

Last edited:

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
GF6800 is pretty much the top of what I can get (currently have an FX 5700, so that upgrade it worth it, now just the money).

(ATi is not an option, unless they fork over proper linux drivers)

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
i remember having read about that older article.
as far as i remember rein said back then that they were still optimizing the engine so in the end the specs could even be lower.
but the specs for highest in-game detail as stated by pc games sound VERY nice - especially if you keep in mind that they include FSAA and AF :D

@ hal: those two epic sources (don't care who) - if they declared them invalid, did they mention anything about the CURRENT specs being lower or higher???

Last edited:
K

Kitty

This is kinda weird. First you got that specs post on atariF, that gets the "can not me more official" and gets deleted. Then you got the "when we get new ut2007 info" post on atariF that gets deleted. And now this stuff.

A little info would be appreciated, last stuff dates from 3months ago.

Lauren