Giant Bombcast On UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
The guys at Giant Bomb (lots of former Gamespot editors) have a pretty big segment on the latest Bombcast featuring their thoughts about Unreal Tournament 3. You can listen through or zoom to 21:50-32:20. (Thanks Majik)

A few minutes before the UT3 segment they also cover the new episodic American McGee's Grimm games that will utilize Unreal Engine 3.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
ouch

Yikes, they pretty much enumerated many of the problems to be had with the game. Lack of servers (or the ability to find "all servers" at once), lack of new, barely any downloadable maps online, baaad story, "from the studio that brought you Gears of War", etc. Not a favorable mention of the game for sure.

I do disagree with certain things they have to say. The mappers have not moved on, it's just that it's hard to integrate maps into servers (long download times anyone?). The online sci-fi shooter game hasn't been dead since the 90s. How about Halo or Unreal Tournament 2004 as examples of this?

Although they're pretty much right about UT3 lacking a new "formula." I wouldn't say the game needs anything as drastic as class-based combat or unlockable items, but a new (and by new I mean novel, not a replacement for an older gametype) game mode seems necessary for the next UT game.

Sk.7

Jan 31, 2008
lack of new, barely any downloadable maps online,

Wrong. I was suprised at first where all the maps gone but the answer is simple:

www.utzone.de

MapFactory / MapRaider / UnrealPlayground have only gone sleepy because UTZone frontally took over all of the goodies ;)

90% of the content on their download list are for UT3 downloads and the rest of the %s goes for previous UTs :D

Heck I get a new map for every day :p

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Hmm, I guess I presented myself wrong.

I didn't mean to say lack of new, barely downloadable maps online. I meant to say UT3 lacks new features AND it's hard to download maps straight from a server. I'd definitely be wrong if I said there are an absence of maps in this community. Just a lack of servers playing these maps :(

I'd love to be proven wrong.

Sk.7

Jan 31, 2008
I meant to say UT3 lacks new features AND it's hard to download maps straight from a server. I'd definitely be wrong if I said there are an absence of maps in this community. Just a lack of servers playing these maps :(

Oh, that. Sad but true indeed :(

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
UT3 didnt need alot of new features, it got some and they are good... no "new" factor is needed in UT, if a player wants something very different theyll play another game... fast paced sci-fi shooter = UT.

at least he says PC version is the one to get... and correctly points out the server browser is very messed up and one of the main reasons theres not alot of players. he's dead wrong theres not alot of user content though, ppl gotta realize there will never be as many mappers as there were for UT.

oh wait i just got to the part where he wants to lose the biorifle so i have to say the whole thing is @$%#^@! ;)

Last edited: