UT brightness and Windows NT ???

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SWITCH

Nov 25, 1999
BUFFALO
Visit site
I'm curently running Windows NT on the lan at my house. I have three pc's using TNT 16MB cards and an ATI RAGE 128 and I'm unable to adjust the brightness in UT. I'm able to move the slider bar under brightness in preferences but it does not change the actual brightness of the game.

Now this happens on all my PC'S and I have the same problem with Q3Arena. With Q3Arena I can type "r_intensity 2.0" at the console and it brightens everything up.

My question for you all is what console command or where in the config file in UT can I adjust the brightness?

Thanks in advance!

------------------
There is no spoon.

bish0p

Nov 30, 1999
chicago, IL, USA
I am having the same problem, and its not just with nvidia. Last night I broke down and installed my pure3d 2 (voodoo2 12meg), and i still couldnt adjust the brightness, even with glide. my system nt4 with a dual p3 500, 384 megs of ram, diamond TNT2u running the 2.08 reference drivers, and a pure3d 2 running their latest nt4 drivers (couldnt get it to work with the 3dfx reference drivers). I cannot change the brightness in UT. in quake3, i can, but i have to manually change the r_gamma and then do a vid_restart. the r_ignorehwgamma command, which enables/disables the brightness bar in q3 doesnt work for me, mine is always disabled. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. (i have tried the newest reference drivers with the nvidia card, they dont work, and i use the 2.08 because I find they give me a few more frames per second).

SWITCH

Nov 25, 1999
BUFFALO
Visit site
Bishop for your Quake problem if it's quake 3 arena you can go into the "q3config" file in the quake3 folder and add

seta r_intensity 2.0

to the file and that way you won't have to restart every time. When you make the changes from the console.

SOME ONE PLEASE TELL US HOW TO ADJUST THE BRIGHTNESS IN UT WITHOUT THE USING PREFERENCES!

tenney

Nov 30, 1999
www.icebox.org
Dang I am having the same problems with NT and Riva TNT1. I just figured it was my crappy monitor. I can't play unless its night and I shut off all the lights. Otherwise the levels are way to dark for me to see anything /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif We need a fix please!

Nightwraith

Nov 30, 1999
Visit site
Well, damn. I thought I was the only one with this problem.

I have Dual PIII 500's, 384MB Ram, a TNT2 Ultra, and Nvidia's 4.02 drivers. I am using the OpenGL renderer because the D3d one only runs in a window, and not full screen. OpenGL is faster for me. While the levels in the demo were dim I could still play them. Now, I can't see anything and I can't adjust the brightness.

SWITCH

Nov 25, 1999
BUFFALO
Visit site
I just sent out an e-mail to epic about this problem since it is definatley a bug with Windows NT. I attached the email that I sent them below. I'll let you all know if I get a reply!

The following is in reference to FULL VERSION UT

I am currently running Windows NT on a Dual PII 400 machine with a TNT 16mb video card and 256mb of ram. I also have two other computer running windows NT as well with a ATI RAGE 128 and a TNT card. And I am having the following problem with all of them.

The brightness is not adjustable at all. I can move the slider bar under preferences for the brightness but it makes absolutly no difference.

I have started a discussion at the forums over at planetunreal and every one that is running Windows NT (regardless of what video card)has the EXACT SAME PROBLEM.

Now I have this same problem with quake 3 arena and I'm able to type "r_intensity 2" and it brightens everything right up and it's perfect.

My question for you is what can those of us with Windows NT do in order to increase the brightness in UT?

Thank you for your time,
A fix would be greatly apreciated!

SWITCH

bish0p

Nov 30, 1999
chicago, IL, USA
Nightwraith: we have almost identical systems /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif I too have the same problem with D3D. My guess is that D3D requires directx7, and as nt4 only supports up to dx3, we are out of luck. I have thought about maybe installed win2k rc3, but would like to avoid that if possible becuase my system is pretty smooth right now and I would rather not mess with it. If you hear of any solution to our brightness problem, please post it here. I will do the same.

SWITCH

Nov 25, 1999
BUFFALO
Visit site
Nightwrath what resolution, color depth, and texture detail do you run at with your GPU?

And what's your framrate?

AND D3D UNDER WINDOWS NT? I didn't know NT support above directx 3 ??

Nightwraith

Nov 30, 1999
Visit site
I am running at 32-bit 1024x768, with high texture and skin detail.

I get 35-45 fps, w/ OpenGL and much less with anything else. It is a Dual PIII 500 machine so the frame rate could be helped by the processors I suppose...

SWITCH

Nov 25, 1999
BUFFALO
Visit site
Okay everyone Vynny over at the GT forums suggested that we try PowerStrip it's a program that runs on Windows 98/NT that allows you to adjust the gamma settings for individual games.

I'm going to check it out this evening and I'll let everyone know how it goes. When you got to the web site check out the FAQ!
http://www.entechtaiwan.com/ps.htm

Nightwraith

Nov 30, 1999
Visit site
I have downloaded PowerStrip and all I have to say is DAMN! This is one of the coolest res/gamma/colordepth modifiers I have ever seen. It seems to work really well for me, and I haven't found any instabilities in my system. I recommend using this while GT figures out what is going on. (I will NOT be responsible for any flaws in PowerStrip, nor any damage done to your machine. Or anything else for that matter. I am a college student for Christ's sake!)

Status
Not open for further replies.