Quake 1 Monster Pack for Unreal

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Master_Unreal

Dec 1, 2010
Hi :)

This is my first time posting here so I will introduce myself, you might have seen my name at other places (OldUnreal, NewbiesPlayground) but in case you haven't, I'm Master_Unreal (obviously :p ) I've pretty much played unreal ever since I was a little kid, starting with UT2004 when I was 5, I am 14 now. I do alot of modding and mapping for unreal.

All that out of the way, This is a little less than half way done but I'd figure people would want to see this, it is as the title says, a Quake 1 monster pack for unreal. The idea here is to port all monsters from quake 1, scourge of armagon, and dissolution of eternity into Unreal.

Now you might be thinking "How did he import ALL the animations from quake 1 into unreal with no error?" The truth is there is no animations being imported, I am hand copying all the animations to the best of my abilities. Of course they are not exact, some animations may be a tiny bit off but the only thing missing might be a few tiny details but other than that, every feature will be included.

So far I have the Demon(Fiend), Knight, Zombie, and Mummy done. If you've played quake before (who hasn't) you'll know there is alot more coming. As of now the Shambler is being coded. Here is a pic of what I have done so far :)

qpawndisp.jpg

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
It is possible that ID might find out about this, though. They are very protective of their game content. Although I can't deny seeing quake monsters in unreal (both among my favourite games) tickles my interest, so to speak.

Btw, there is a Quake2 shambler model conversion for UT already. There should even be a quake2 quakeguy conversion as well.

Master_Unreal

Dec 1, 2010
Ooops lol, my bad

I could have sworn I started ut2004 when I was 5 but no, It was when I was 7-8, i think I just tried ut2003 once when I was 5, I can't remember all of it too well.

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
Finally, I get to kill off a Shambler using the Stinger...making the weapon useful for once! :lol:

Seriously, you may want to be careful about id's stuff but since you made the models by hand there "should" not be any problems if you use different names (see Generations Arena).

Master_Unreal

Dec 1, 2010
Well no, I did not really remake the models, I just reanimated them, and fixed their skin to work in unreal.

I have thought about this somewhat, I mean if Dots made his DoomPawns pack then I don't see too much of a problem with this, especially since this game is around the same time frame as Doom II, 1994, and Quake being 1996. However I might be wrong with that, but thats how I see it. Unless of course he thought about these same risks as well.

Gizzy

The Banhammer Cometh
May 30, 2009
United Kingdom
Hey MU, nice to see you on BuF! Good work on the conversions, but do you know you don't need to create the animations yourself? There's a tool that does it all for you called mdl2unr. I'll see if I can get another copy of it since it's quite rare now and I just lost mine due to computer issues :(

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
ID is not protective of that stuff as they were 10 years back or so, there were even maps using quake textures being taken down, or the map author not wanting to release it, I forgot who it was but those were impressive maps by screenshots. He told me he might release it one day seeing that they don't make such issue of it anymore, although I forgot who it was now...

As for the models and anims, yeah, but still, it is amazing from what I've seen becasue you made the animations look well, even if you made them yourself..

Btw you should post your singleplayer mappack here (even though episodes other than one aren't finished), I don't think other people know it and it is pretty decent and you still made it while you were 13, you have some amazing talent to show.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Man I really like Quake 1 monsters and I really would want to fight them in Unreal. Great work here.

Finally, I get to kill off a Shambler using the Stinger...making the weapon useful for once! :lol:

The Stinger is very useful and powerful (SP only). Takes nothing to learn it and where to use it.

Last edited:

Vortex Convict

May 23, 2010
I was thinking of a similar idea, of an UNREAL mod with QUAKE enemies. If I were to do it, I think I think I would remake the models, and make the QUAKE atmosphere of the levels more UNREAL in scope. But I'm not a modder, so I have no say in this. Only: Well Done!

I was thinking also of a QUAKE mod that render the enemy models into the enemies from UNREAL. For example, the Ogre would be a template for the Scaarj, and the zombies templates for the Nali. The Shamblers, as a horrifying thought it may be, would be a template for the Titans. Has anyone tried doing a UNREAL mod for QUAKE?

Master_Unreal

Dec 1, 2010
It's been a bit since I posted here, still around just haven't been able to work on the pawns for some time. Financial issues and such have caused my family and I to move. Vista sucks and I'm at an everyday battle to get my stuff working

I do have a copy of 3ds max 4, burned to a disk, however vista is being crappy and won't let the C-Dilla library work correctly, causing it to not start. Reinstalling C-Dilla just doesn't work at all :mad:

I should have my pc back by tuesday, just have to find a place to set it up and then I can start working on stuff again :)

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I was thinking of a similar idea, of an UNREAL mod with QUAKE enemies. If I were to do it, I think I think I would remake the models, and make the QUAKE atmosphere of the levels more UNREAL in scope. But I'm not a modder, so I have no say in this. Only: Well Done!

I was thinking also of a QUAKE mod that render the enemy models into the enemies from UNREAL. For example, the Ogre would be a template for the Scaarj, and the zombies templates for the Nali. The Shamblers, as a horrifying thought it may be, would be a template for the Titans. Has anyone tried doing a UNREAL mod for QUAKE?

Epic doesn't want their assets being used in non-Unreal games.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I saw doom, mostly sourceport based mods using Unreal and UT weapons and stuff. Nobody from Epic complained afaik.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Wow. In the past they did stop people that were doing the same thing (although not with games like Doom, Quake, etc...)

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
Only time I've seen Epic being ok with UT stuff used in another game was that Unreal Arena mod for Q3A...as long as the assets are from the free demo and not the full game itself.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
The mods I mentioned used assets from full game and not demo.