Using two non-identical drives for a striped RAID array?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
Ok, I'm interested in setting up a RAID array in a striped configuration. Now, after some browsing of various hardware sites, I'm a mite confused about whether it's ok to use two non-identical drives that are the same size. Some sites say that you can use two drives that are the same size (mine are both 80gb), but other sites say that it has to be identical manufacturer as well as size. Anyone here used two slightly different drives at the same size to create a striped array? Suggestions would be welcome, before I go ahead and try it and possibly trash my disks :)

For clarification - I have an 80Gb IBM deskstar, and an 80gb Western Digital (this one actually reads as being 76gb though....)