News on Frag BU?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Should FragBU news be on the front page?

• Yes, and disclose full login details

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Yes, and direct interested parties to a thread in this forum for details

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • No. Do not post news on FragBU

Votes: 10 37.0%

• Total voters

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
TWD made a comment in this thread, that Webslinger got FragBU running again without any help from BeyondUnreal. Personally, I've refrained from posting anything about it on the main page because I sort of thought that everyone wanted to play against people that post here regularly in the forums. But I certainly don't want anyone to think that BeyondUnreal doesn't appreciate the efforts that go into organizing it and I would like to know if you would like to see FragBU news on BeyondUnreal?

Consider this: if we post news on the main page we need to remember that the server is passworded and must decide on how to handle that aspect of it.

So, make your voice heard!

WebSlinger

bNotNegative != False
Feb 29, 2000
Oklahoma City, OK
Yeah, hal. you are right on about it. I, "unofficially" reinstated it with the intnetion of opening my server up to the fine folks that post here in this forum (the ut2k3 forum). If you posted a news item about it... I really think it would require the organized effort of more servers and maybe TS servers and/or channels.

My gut reaction would be to not advertise it on the news page, because of the logististics mentioned above. I would like to see more people steered into the forums here. That's what I've been doing... When I'm at a pub, I invite people here.

I dunno... I think this deserves the honest discussion of the community that posts here... so, I'd really like to hear the thoughts of others on the subject.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Hmmmm....interesting thought!

I'm kinda leaning toward the "Yes, but direct everyone to thread" idea. Some of us have been advertising the forums when we play on pubs (though Webby seems to be the most successful), and this seems to be an effective way to bring people in. If we have them come to the forums to get the password, then maybe they'll visit us again.

I'm curious as well as to what everyone else thinks.

WebSlinger

bNotNegative != False
Feb 29, 2000
Oklahoma City, OK
I just read over what I wrote...

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, I'd like to try and keep FragBU among those of us that know each other... but then there's the problem of balancing that with a full server with balanced teams. I have a feeling that if more new people get involved, and that we don't really know them that well, that we'll have to start admining the server and creating guidelines and rules and icky things like that.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
WebSlinger said:
I have a feeling that if more new people get involved, and that we don't really know them that well, that we'll have to start admining the server and creating guidelines and rules and icky things like that.

Good point!

I don't know how we could do this, but I wish there were a way to bring people into the forums as members then make the password available to them.

Or maybe we could advertise the Saturday FragBU on the front page, and keep the Friday FragBU for just those of us here (different passwords of course)?

I'm just throwing out ideas and seeing if anything sticks.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I think advertising on the main page could work, but I'm not sure. I've been thinking about this for a really long time. So a few random thoughts.

First I am starting to become worried that we'll get more people than we have server space for. Right now we can get 10 people ingame on web's server, and that's pretty much full. If we were to start posting on the main page I think we'd need at least one more server. We played on the stosh pit last night and I thought that was ok.

Next I think that we have more ways of doing this than you think. For instance I specifically remember back in the old fragbu's having to wait in chat for the information.

Then there is the idea of having the password change every week and force them to go into the forums to get the pass.

Finally we could just say here's the server password and time have at it.

Now right now the biggest reason against doing such a thing is we dont' want idiots comming into our server. If we had an admin in the server the entire time that could ban people that wouldn't be such a problem. But then again I think it's a bit more than that. When somebody we've never seen before comes in we go who the heack are you. This is why irc could be a good option. Everybody's in irc talking you get a chance to get to know them first.

However I think that for us to make a good decision we'll have to just try it once.

Another thing is if we are to do something like that you need to sticky that thread I made so noobs know what's going on.

Final thought is that we have been saying a lot that one of the things that needs to happen in this community is that we need to start teaching some of the less skilled players etc etc. Expanding the event with a post on the news page and maybe even a hosted page on bu would be the perfect way to do this.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Hmmmm...wow, you really got me thinking hal. This is the most I've thought all day, and I'm at work! :lol:

On one hand, we get to expose a lot more people to the BuF community, but that also opens the door for potetial "problem" players.

We get to have more diverse competition and new blood, but run the risk of overcrowding the server.

More players means the need for more servers, and we all know the difficulty of that.

If the server(s) is full of non-regular BuF's, we run the risk of alienating current members from playing.

Whatever we decide to do, I definately would NOT post the password on the front page. In my opinion, the Mothership would then be only slightly more than a pub on the weekends.

Okay, I got to get back to work.

DaBeatard

Mr.How
Nov 20, 2002
Visit site
I haven't played in a FragBU in almost a month (hopefully I will this weekend, say a prayer), but when I did it was usually 2 on 2 or 3 on 3. I don't know what it's been like lately though. More people wouldn't hurt. Like TWD suggested, trying this atleast once is the only way we would find out.

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
Renegade Retard said:
Whatever we decide to do, I definately would NOT post the password on the front page. In my opinion, the Mothership would then be only slightly more than a pub on the weekends.

Okay, I got to get back to work.

:lol: I agree. I am all for inviting more people, but direct them to the forums first. The best thing about playing in FragBU is fragging people you know. I gotta get back to work now too. :D

Thrawn70

Hang-around
Jun 11, 2002
Unknown Regions
Visit site
Err, I've never been to an old FragBU where they had more than one server, but I dont like the idea of being split up on seperate servers. I say try it once, and see what happens, but right now, I'm in the "change is bad" group.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Well thing is the old fragbu's were so huge you had to have multiple servers. Almost every single match was 12 people. Lavagiant was a perfect map to play. I think the reason there were so many people was because the fragbu was a very integral part of the website. There was always a newspost everything was done by admins, we even had a few huge events with prizes.

Of course this was all back when it was planetunreal.

The Warden

this is usually where youll find me
Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
it may help getting other to play, make for longer FragBU nights, BUT you'll also start to see idiots.

Let the word of mouth spread threw this forum. so you get to know us all. Even though I tend to be a Jekel and Hyde when I play, as opposed to what you see on the forums.

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
I thought about this on my way to work this morning.

I don't think it would be a problem advertising FragBU on the front page because:

1) Nobody plays NW CTF. Look at how many empty public servers there are. The only people that play NW CTF are clans that are either leet or semi-leet. The reason why is NW is not newb friendly, it takes alot of effort to get good at. You have to scour the forums for tips and tricks.....etc. The people that really play NW CTF are on locked servers anyway, and we don't need to get into the reasons why.....

2) We can go out in the pubs with the "BuF" tag, but that doesn't lead them here. The only people that know what the BuF tag means are people who are 'in the know' to begin with. ie: [Ci], |C| and the people who are associated with them, for instance [H] may know because Flames' husband is in there..I personally linked them here...etc, etc. And they will know how to get on "The Web" anyway, simply through association. I've tried inviting newbs here, but I'm not the gifted evangelist that webby is. ;)

3) It's difficult to get people to play on your server to begin with, I linked [H] here.....how many showed up? One guy, Mep[H]. Look at their forums, that post I made has more than 100 reads vs 5 posts.......and one guy shows up. Now there may be dozens of reasons why they didn't show but the point is..... they didn't show .
There's a server in Texas, that Ren and I played on last night, that server has been pimped endlessly on INA (which I'm guessing gets a ton more traffic than we do)......there were 4 people playing. Me, Ren, [H]Nem and some newb. Four....!!

4) I belong to some Enemy Territory forums, and I've got passwords to servers, but the only way I got them was to register in their forums, and then I could get to a separate forum that is for forum members only. I'm not sure but I think that's probably because they've captured my IP and so they can associate trouble makers on the Servers with the IP in the forums. Maybe we could do that?

:D

[/end rant]

Raffi_B

Administrator
Oct 27, 2002
USA
my thought:
yes advertise it on the front page, but put a link to the thread/UT2003 section. then afterwards, put some highlights and stuff so more people get interested. like "omg who is this Rev dude..." or "why did Raffi_B change his name to crapfest" and stuff. :p but seriously i think it would be a good idea for there to be a newspost. something along the lines of the following:
Its that time again! time to get together with your fellow forumers and frag their brains out. Today friday, and tommorrow saturday, come out to the weekly FragBU every 7pm-midnight. Details, including the password, are in this thread [link] and the server ip is [link].

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Like some of you I was torn on this issue...how can you make the event more public without ruining it. At times the Web is alreay getting full and you have to find someone else to play with. The multiple server thing is a good idea for one reason... people that want to get on while it is full can go to the other server and play together. The bad thing is when people start leaving then there is like 1v1 on each server instead of getting them together. Really, there is no solution to that problem. You either up the player count on the Web or add another server.

I would like there to be a FragBU link on the front page, on the right side perhaps under the pic of the day... problem is, you need to get that thread for registered members only so that even if they just lurk, they have to login to see the passwords. That would be ideal. I am VERY unopposed to getting as many people together as possible to play. It makes it more interesting. On the other hand I also like our elite little group where we can just have a blast.

I have noticed too that I get ALOT more upset when people I don't know are killing me than when even Rev is popping my head off left and right. With Rev it just makes me work a little harder to kill him...on pubs I get pretty violent and even have to quit the game sometimes...so it really is a toss up as to what to do.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Hunter said:
shouldn't it be up 2 Web as he runs FragBU?

True, he really should have the final say, but if you read his first post waaaaaay up there ^^^^, you'll see he wants the members to discuss it and get our opinions.

TyeFang

Ambassador
Perhaps we could start by inviting all the clans we like.

Clan's of good peeps, who show sportsmanship and above all, want to have fun.

Clans like:

ur^, DoM, Zeta, ATS, FlatLine, [H], clan9, Ci, CF, UO, Robot, FD, 55th, HTO, etc (sorry if i missed a few)

Many of these clans are semi-active, too..and im sure a few of their members would be VERY happy to play in something like fragBU.

FragBU is a rare gem...and there are many who would appreciate it...as long as we don't flood the place with *******s.

- Tye