Will it be hard getting used to UT2K3/4?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fire20000

May 8, 2001
Visit site
I'm finally getting a new pc, I used to play UT pretty avidly. are there a lot of new techniques that I need to know in UT2K3 to be good?

btw, its 2.8 GHZ HT, 1 GB RAM, ATI 9800 pro. Will it run UT good?

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
are you kidding? UT2k3 will just really really well with those specs. Anyways, yes there are a lot of things different from UT1 and a lot of people bitch about it but IMO, I dont see any HUGE problems with it (except for the reliance more on acrobatics than pure fragging skills) Other than that, it's quite a good game.

BTW UT ran just fine on my 1.33ghz, Radeon 9700 Pro, 256MB of RAM. I'm on a 2.08Ghz Athlon 2600+ Barton w/ 512MB of RAM and the same Radoen 9700 Pro 128MB but with a huge difference in cooling here.

oh and also, since I'm a grammar nut, it's "will it run UT well" :D

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
Welcome to BuF Fire20000! :wavey: Nice Avatar :D

Like Daedalus said, your machine fine. However, it may be kind of hard getting used to UT2K4 if you have been playing a lot of UT. It has a more "responsive" feel than UT (IMO) and the movement feels a little different. Don't worry too much though. A couple days of harcore fragging and you'll love it. :D

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
yah and give it a couple days at least. Don't count on being the top player after 20 minutes of playing.

becoming i

Registered abUser
Aug 15, 2003
Visit site
spineblaZe said:
Welcome to BuF Fire20000! :wavey: Nice Avatar :D

It looks like he joined in 2001. Maybe we should say: Welcome to UT2K3!

Oh yeah, 2K3 pwns; you will not be able to go back to UT. :D

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
I've been beat to the welcome twice! :p
Anyway, welcome back to BuF™! Never knew you, but looks like you joined a while before I did...

By the way, don't forget about the upcoming Unreal® Tournament 2004, which is hypothetically coming out sometime in the year 2004, we hope... :D

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
mmm truffles.
mmm.gif

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Well, that system won't have a problem :)

UT2003 is a game that "feels" very different to UT. It takes longer to learn and require you to think a little differently about how you fight. At first there can be a big "what the hell is going on?!" thing, but don't worry about it, stick with it, and you'll get the idea. Take some time to get used to double-jumping and dodge-jumping, they'll make you much harder to hit and will make you a lot faster around the maps (don't worry about the more advanced stuff, you won't need it yet). There are loads of short-cuts in the maps that can be used with just the double-jump and dodge-jump, the key as always is to know the map inside-out :)

One thing you'll notice in UT2003 is that the weapon switch is a lot faster. This means you won't be able to stick with one weapon a lot like in UT, you need to get used to switching to the right weapon for the right situation (a skill I still havn't mastered quite yet :D). Just about the only weapon in UT2003 that isn't that useful is the link gun, everything else can be lethal in the right situation. The lightning gun is an awesome weapon at long/mid range, as it the shock rfile. At ultra close range the flak and the bio rifle are highly effective (the bio rifle is a LOT more powerful compared to UT). The flak secondary is very powerful (and great for short range covering fire in team games). Mid range the rocket launcher is still a very versatile weapon, and the minigun is useful for mopping up (but it's less effective than the UT minigun). The shock combo is a little different and uses more ammo.

Adrenaline is a big new feature in UT2003, but it can unbalance games, so a lot of servers have it switch off or limited. Once you get 100 adrenaline (the adrenaline total is in the top right hand of your hud), you can activate one of four combos:

Berzerk: forward, forward, back, back (increase weapon rate of fire, not very useful)
Booster: back, back, back, back (health and armour regeneration, extrememly useful)
Invisibility: left, left, right, right (pretty self-explanatory, can be pretty useful in DM and can cause chaos in team games)
Speed: forward, forward, forward, forward (significant increase in run speed and jump distance, useless in DM, but can massivly unbalance team games)

Once a combo is activated, your adrenaline will drain to zero (and will go to zero instantly if you die while a combo is activated, the worst thing in the world is to be killed just as you activate a combo). Invisibility, Speed and Berzerk will last for a short time and then run out. However, Booster is the only combo that's effects last. If Booster regens your health armour to full, it'll stay full once the combo has worn off, so you don't loose the extra health/armour when the combo runs out (although the regen effect itself won't last). I normally trigger Booster, unless theres a specific reason not to. If I'm trying to return my team's flag in CTF, using Invisibility is a great way to get to the flag carrier without getting spotting :)

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
:tup: A very excellent write up, except for:

Selerox said:
At ultra close range the flak and the bio rifle are highly effective (the bio rifle is a LOT more powerful compared to UT). The flak secondary is very powerful (and great for short range covering fire in team games).

Damage-wise, the UT2K3 Bio rifle does less damage than its UT counterpart. However, the UT2K3 Bio is much more useful in my opinion, since the shots travel faster and farther, and still do a good amount of damage. :) Goo for everyone :D
bio.gif

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
ph34r teh sn0t r0ck3t!

spineblaZe said:
Damage-wise, the UT2K3 Bio rifle does less damage than its UT counterpart. However, the UT2K3 Bio is much more useful in my opinion, since the shots travel faster and farther, and still do a good amount of damage.

Sorry, I should have worded that a bit better :) I meant "powerful" in an overall sense, rather than simple damage. Like you said, it's a far better weapon than the origional Biorifle.

[MUTTS] Hiteche5

Rodney-like
Jun 15, 2000
Groton, Connecticut....again
Visit site
I would say it does take a lot of getting used too. Movement is definately something to work on. Watch some demos supplied by your friendly neighborhood BuF team and look at how the move about a map and dodge fire. Also weapons seem weaker now. When you engage someone you can expect to be fighting the one person longer. The TL got changed allot too. Bots are nothing like humans now. There is a much bigger diffrence in single player than in multiplayer. Have fun and add *BuF to you buddy list to find us.

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
Roger that, Selerox. :) [MUTTS] Hiteche5 has a really good point, too. The UT bots were awesome, but the 2K3 bots seem pretty lifeless.