Distortion

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

->Sachiel<-

Jul 24, 2005
If your video card can support DX9 and you haven't played F.E.A.R. MP demo, play it!

Every explosive in that game distorts like the sex, and the Matrix sloMo looks amazing, the bullet effects in it are cooler than the bullet effects in the actual movie. The environment gets really dusty and dirty, which is also awesome, the particle effects are estounding. When and if you play it, make sure to try out The M-50 Cannon, that weapon will make you ORGASM. That game is an example of what UT2007 must beat in order to be successful, it is one thing to have the engine, it is another to use it properly, and F.E.A.R. definitely uses its tools properly.
(If you try fear and it lags, turn on an option called pixel doubling and turn off AA)

SO... What effects should UT2007 Have? Be specific.

Last edited:

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
Distortion is orgasm

Things getting dirty and scratched would be orgasm.

More realistic fluid effects would be sex.

A bunch of high detail vehicles with good physics and cool movement would be sex.

*edit*
facial expressions would be sex

better 3d sound would be sex

3d voice taunts

Last edited:

EL BOURIKO

May 24, 2005
->Sachiel<- said:
If your video card can support DX9 and you haven't played F.E.A.R. MP demo, play it!

Every explosive in that game distorts like the sex, and the Matrix sloMo looks amazing, the bullet effects in it are cooler than the bullet effects in the actual movie. The environment gets really dusty and dirty, which is also awesome, the particle effects are estounding. When and if you play it, make sure to try out The M-50 Cannon, that weapon will make you ORGASM. That game is an example of what UT2007 must beat in order to be successful, it is one thing to have the engine, it is another to use it properly, and F.E.A.R. definitely uses its tools properly.
(If you try fear and it lags, turn on an option called pixel doubling and turn off AA)

SO... What effects should UT2007 Have? Be specific.

I am always sceptisc with these movies like MATRIX that only exists just because of special effects and so I am with video games too. If the game can live without a special effect so this means that it does not need it.
Note: I am not sure that this is special effects that help a soft or a movie being a success.
(the best example is the star wars series, the first trilogy with basical effects is far more interesting than the second one)

EL BOURIKO

May 24, 2005
briach said:
Distortion is orgasm

Things getting dirty and scratched would be orgasm.

More realistic fluid effects would be sex.

A bunch of high detail vehicles with good physics and cool movement would be sex.

*edit*
facial expressions would be sex

better 3d sound would be sex

3d voice taunts

Are we talking of UT2007 ? ? ?

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
EL BOURIKO said:
I am always sceptisc with these movies like MATRIX that only exists just because of special effects and so I am with video games too. If the game can live without a special effect so this means that it does not need it.
Note: I am not sure that this is special effects that help a soft or a movie being a success.
(the best example is the star wars series, the first trilogy with basical effects is far more interesting than the second one)

As an example, it sucks.

1977, when Star Wars came out it had tons of new and better special effects.
It set new standards for the rest of the movie industry.

What made Star Wars great was its mindblowing effects AND good story.
A formula that i wouldnt mind that someone used for a new game actually ;)

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
Vault said:
star wars had a good story?
Nah, just good "sex"

Lol, couldn't help it, I had to. :D

Effects are always good, but developers need to keep in mind that not everyone can afford the latest Super Computer like the Government can, lol :p

EL BOURIKO

May 24, 2005
Wowbagger said:
As an example, it sucks.

1977, when Star Wars came out it had tons of new and better special effects.
It set new standards for the rest of the movie industry.

What made Star Wars great was its mindblowing effects AND good story.
A formula that i wouldnt mind that someone used for a new game actually ;)

you misunderstood my words, instead of basical effects, I should have said first generation of special effects (that is quite some basical now in 2005). But now because of the unlimited potential of special effects provided by the digital technology, the second trilogy lost its clean line to make a tricky story lost in a sea of special effects, and I am not sure that the final result gives a better trilogy than the first one.
Often when people have access to an unlimited potential, they forget this wise philosophy from the scottish designer MacIntosh: LESS IS MORE.

But anyway, i wish to play UT in a clean way, not with parasite slow motion/distortion/or what so ever special effects. I hope that players like me (and I hope that I am not alone) will be considered by EPIC concerning this topic.

->Sachiel<-

Jul 24, 2005
Originally posted by EL BOURIKO
Really? I thought both sucked equally due to their horrible story.
Originally Posted by EL BOURIKO
But anyway, i wish to play UT in a clean way, not with parasite slow motion/distortion/or what so ever special effects. I hope that players like me (and I hope that I am not alone) will be considered by EPIC concerning this topic.
Obviously I wouldn't want slow motion either, that's just a matrix rip off, I simply stated it because the distortion effects applied when you're in it are quite well-done.

.........................................................................WHAT???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

DO YOU ACTUALLY NOT LIKE DISTORTION EFFECTS?
HAVE YOU EVER PLAYED HALF LIFE 2? (The glass, water and reflection effects are really great and realistic [especially the glass])
HAVE YOU EVER PLAYED PARIAH? (I know the game sucked but the flame effects were cool)
HAVE YOU EVER PLAYED F.E.A.R.? (The explosion, bullet and smoke effects are jaw dropping)
HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A REALISTIC FLAMETHROWER TO DATE?(Distortion allows the space around the flame to be distorted like in real life)
How can you hate distortion?
[IMAGINE] The Shock Combo with some crazy a** distortion and amazing blood squird effects when you blow the enemy up.
[IMAGINE] The explosion of the rocket launcher with the air around it all distorted just like it would in real life, with a bump-mapped crator and a large puff of smoke with the explosion and finally, shards of the rocket flying out.

Distortion effects don't really lag the game much, ragdoll physics actually lag it more. This is because distortion effects are like photoshop filters, applied to each frame of the completed image making it distorted one frame at a time. Therefore distortion effects are two-dimentionally calculated, on the other hand physics like ragdolls and objects' calculations are done three-dimentionally making them require more CPU usage and have a bigger effect on your performance than distortion.

Now UT2004's physics and special effects are toned down if your frame rate is less than 40. For example, below 40 FPS the game stops calculating friction and removes the water splash effects and the shock rifle swirl around the beam. In F.E.A.R. you can turn on a function that switches to DX8.0 effects. So don't consider lag when considering these effects, because you can most likely turn them off, the question is WHY DON'T YOU LIKE DISTROTION? It doesn't lower the quality of the game, it just makes it look cool and makes some surfaces and areas look realistic or more convincing at least.

Last edited:

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
Distortion is good once not overused,
same goes for HDR lightblooms and over- brighting
better particle effects are needed for rocket explosions,flames and smoke clouds,
the flame effects after using the lighning gun on someone in ut2kx looked really poor

I'd be more interested in weapons fire on different surfaces creating different effects, than overkilling with distortions

kafros

F1 manta tryouts
Jan 21, 2005
Under Articstronghold's bridge
Since most ppl will set their graphics details to low in order to get rid off anything that distrorts their view of the target.

Someone from EPIC was commenting on the UC2 effects compared to the PC effects and pointed out that the reason you didnt see "distortion" in UT2004 was that ppl will low specs would be at an advantage.

->Sachiel<-

Jul 24, 2005
pshht, my UT2004 runs at 86 FPS with full graphics, I would've enjoyed some distortion effects in it. If any of you played Black and white 2, try dropping a fireball dirctly on top of a wall, as it bounces in creates a distortion effect on the wall that makes it appear as though dust is flying off of the wall and that the wall is being wrecked. This effect simulates dust and debris without creating ANY particle effects, and particle effects lag the game ALOT more than distortion effects, because distortion effects are 2-D while particle effects are 3-D. Distortion effects are simply Photoshop filters applied to the fully rendered image in certain areas whereas particle effects are calculated during the rendering process making them take up more CPU power.

Due to UT2004 having more particle effects than Half Life 2, HL2 runs at 158 FPS on my computer while UT2004 only runs at 86 FPS (both on full graphics).

Epic could've added distortion and just made it so that you can turn it off, distortion doesn't really effect gameplay, if you play F.E.A.R. you'll know what I mean.

I'm talking about sex here people, how can you say no to sex?

Last edited: