Rein Interviewed by Eurogamer, Satiates Livid Nintendo Fans

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Rein Interviewed by Eurogamer, Placates Livid Nintendo Fans

Being one of the more vocal critics of Mark Rein's... enthusiastic comments at the IGNLive forum, I felt it right that I point to this interview with Eurogamer published today. In the interview, Mark discusses Gears of War, the commercial success of Unreal Engine 3, setting the record straight on his comments at the conference and even the possibility of seeing a UEngine game produced for the Nintendo console code-named Revolution. Some highlights:
Rein confirms that Epic isn't just developing for the Xbox 360, either - "We're going to be doing a game for PlayStation 3, we just haven't come out and announced it yet. I think it's pretty clear people know we're going to be doing Unreal Tournament."

It's unlikely we'll see an Epic game on a handheld in the near future, though - at least not one that's been produced in-house.

"We just don't have the technology that fits with those systems. We were tossing around the idea of Unreal Tournament battle game for PSP a while ago, and unfortunately we can't develop it because we just don't have the technology."
"I actually said Nintendo's going to make amazing games. I never really passed a judgement on the controller itself. I think the controller's cool!" Mark says. (Apparently he's forgotten his comments about the analog add-on. -Ed.)

"I wasn't bashing Nintendo, I wasn't bashing the controller, I was really just saying that a byproduct of having a device like this is that people are going to make games that possibly are just there because of the controller, as opposed to being great games of themselves, and I said it badly... I regret that."

There will be plenty of great titles that make use of the controller, too, Rein adds. "Nintendo and some of the best third parties are going to make amazing games for it."
And what about Merrick's suggestion that Rein get a Revolution dev kit for himself so he can see exactly what the machine can do?

"I told him we've absolutely love to take him up on that."

That doesn't mean Epic has signed up to develop for Revolution, but it's certainly something worth looking into, says Rein.

"I think Unreal Engine 3 and Nintendo Revolution would be very well suited to each other.

"We don't know right now what the machine's capable of or not capable of, and we've built Unreal Engine 3 to a certain specification. If the machine can run the engine, it'd be fantastic to have it on there."
The full interview can be found here.

Hat tip: GameDaily

Last edited:

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
He's a waste of oxygen and column inches

I really, genuinely wish Mark Rein would stay the hell away from anything involved with Unreal Tournament. He can pimp his engine tech til the cows uo come, but can he please stay away from the game? He's a disaster.

Blaaguuu

taunt pthrust
May 27, 2002
Earshot of monkeys
Visit site
while i think rein generaly needs ot jsut keep his mouth shut about stuff like this... its also sort of relieving to see someone admit they said something dumb, these days...

plus i still dont really agree with his comments... im sure Nntendo will make some greate games using the controller... and im sure there will be some not-so-good games with it... but cant you say taht about any controller/console? atleast the not-so-good games for the revolution will likely still be fresh, and a bit different...

Retodon8

Sheep happens!
Jan 21, 2004
Netherlands
retodon8.net
Uhm, he explained what he said was taken out of context, and he admitted he screwed up saying what he wanted to say to begin with as well.
I see people screw that up all the time, usually not admitting it afterwards.
This is positive on Mark's behalf, isn't it?

His main point is that a weird controller will create a lot more weird games created just for that controller, and I agree with him there.
Only time will tell of course, but making a prediction isn't something negative either.

What is the problem with him, I really don't see it, at least not with this example.
For instance what why "I can see why John Romero & the rest of id software fired him..."???
Oh well...

EXE-973

Aug 25, 2003
Visit site
sounds to me the flak he took has hit home, this is nothing more than damage control. Anyone who watched that video knows how he really feels.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Uhm, he explained what he said was taken out of context, and he admitted he screwed up saying what he wanted to say to begin with as well.
I see people screw that up all the time, usually not admitting it afterwards.
This is positive on Mark's behalf, isn't it?
First of all, he was not taken out of context, we can all see the video. Like executer said, this is damage control.

Yes, it is a plus for him that he corrected the record on his tirades. This is why I made it a point to post the new interview when I came across it; it's important for people to hear all sides of a story, regardless of my own opinion of his comments.
His main point is that a weird controller will create a lot more weird games created just for that controller, and I agree with him there.
And my main point was that graphics, which he couldn't shut up about if someone paid him, have also created a lot of games that take advantage of newfangled graphical doodads and still suck donkey nuts. Bullet time created games that have a bullet-time feature but still suck. Vehicle-based gameplay created games that have vehicles but still suck. Name any innovation in video games, and a list of sucky games that rely on that as a gimmick to push their product is easy to produce. There is no reason to single out this controller for criticism on that basis when it is no different than anything else in that regard.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
W0RF said:
First of all, he was not taken out of context, we can all see the video. Like executer said, this is damage control.
That is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO debatable.

EXE-973

Aug 25, 2003
Visit site
not really, the key is in his interaction with the nintendo fans. Look at the loaded question regarding the gamecube. He was extremely anti nintendo in that video, it wasn't hard to see that.