Poll: Best controller for UT?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BirddoG

Nov 20, 1999
Visit site
my controls come back from the DooM days of old
get this they are weird but work great for me:
mouse: looks turns mforward=left mback=right
keys
q=jump
a=crouch
w=sleft
e=sright
space=fire
d=secfire
s=walk
c=dropweap
z=speechmenu

weird eh

bullet2.gif

"I like this book because of its cover. This book sucks, the cover sucks." -XS

Rotgut

Nov 18, 1999
Visit site
Well, I'm using the trackman trackball, it has the small trackball that is thumb operated, two buttons and a scroll wheel. Works pretty good, fast control, accurate pointing.

And I use the WASD keys for forward, left strafe, back and right strafe. The Q key to select my translocator and E key to select best weapon.

But I saw some adds for the joystick trackball combo someone mentioned earlier, and for the 360 The Orb Joystick that looked really neat, and was just curious as to what most people recommend for playing, and if any of these devices is worth the money.

Rotgut

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
I think the only way to play is keyboard & mouse.

My setup's as follows:

LMB: Fire
RMB: Jump
MMB (Middle Mouse Button): Alt. Fire.
L&R Cursor Keys: Strafe left & right.
U&D Cursor Keys: Move forwards and backwards.
A to L key row: Voice commands.
Other key rows: Various other commands.

Works great for me.

bullet2.gif

The sidewinder sleeps tonight....and frags tomorrow!

Watchdog

Nov 29, 1999
windsor, ontaio, canada
Visit site
Inverted mouse? C'mon, you guys say that like if you don't invert your mouse you're a novice. There is no big advantage over an inverted mouse, in fact, for people who aren't used to it, it's a detriment. Actually, what ever works for you (trackball is a little dubious, but if it works...). I use:
e-forward
w-back
s&f-strafe
a-duck
r-jump
t&y-messages
and my five mouse buttons do everthing else
this is odd, but it works for me (i.e. backwards is in a spot so switching to forward doesn't require the same finger and therefore is faster)

GOLO

Dec 2, 1999
England
Visit site
E forward W back, A strafe and what? How can you get away with those keys? E, W? no. You can't. You invert the mouse because of other games, ie sims. Also, you can think of the mouse as the top of the guys head, pull his hair back to make him look up. Plenty of reasons. I swear that if I sat at a mates computer and it was not inverted mouse I'd either refuse to play and ask where the toilet was. Or, I'd laugh very hard for an hour, then ask where the toilet was.

Inverted mouse is a must. You ever played a flight sim, space sim? X-wing, anything?

Rotgut

Nov 18, 1999
Visit site
I'm kind of new to the UT scene, over the weekend I played UT to death with my trackball and keyboard and had a blast.

This morning, online, I perused lots of different gamepad, control pad reviews looking at ones that would be fun to use witih Unreal Tournament.

So I was just curious as to what everyone here uses for their UT controller?

Thanks,
Rotgut

GOLO

Dec 2, 1999
England
Visit site
Plain old 2 button mouse and keyboard.

What's the crack with using a trackball? where are your fingers when your rolling the ball? Do you use the palm of your hand or something? I can just envisage a huge ball in the palm of my hand, with my fingers drifting away from the fire buttons every time I look somewhere. I'm probably wrong.

GOLO

Dec 2, 1999
England
Visit site
Deffinately inverted mouse. Not too sure about WASD though? I think I'd be looking at the keyboard to make sure my fingers are where they should be. I like cursors for direction/strafe, Ctrl-jump, numpad 0-best weapon, left shift-translocater, mouse 2 fires, rest of num pad for orders.

BirddoG

Nov 20, 1999
Visit site
hey watch i use two different fingers for mforward and mback and it helps alot
try moving forward while strifing then move back and strife the other way while attacking a close opponent
he has trouble hitting you with rockets (moving forward and back - hard to hit feet with a roc) and he has trouble with instant weaps like asmd and enforcer (strife right then quickly left) its great!

bullet2.gif

"I like this book because of its cover. This book sucks, the cover sucks." -XS

Harkonis

Dec 2, 1999
Visit site
I never have to move my hands with this config.

I use a marble man trackball with three buttons, fire, secondary and jump.

Then with my left hand I use the 10 keypad and program all the buttons, from the slash to the keypad enter with different commands, then for voice orders, I use the 6 key cluster and the cursor keys.

Like I said, my hands never move off the keypad and mouse so I don't have to think to hit buttons, and NEVER have to look down. The keypad 7 is previous weapon and keypad 9 is next weapon. Various favorites are scattered about, the + is toggle run, and I've used this config since duke3d and find it far easier as long as you clean the trackball occasionally.

BTW, the optical trackball is far more responsive than a standard mouse, it just takes some getting used to.

bullet2.gif

Harkonis

L_S

Nov 24, 1999
PantherXL here. I went to it from mouse/keyboard cuz my wrists were getting sore after extended periods of play. Havent had any problems though it does take a long while to adjust to it and you have to clean quite freguently. I love it!

bullet2.gif

If you have any problems with what I just said then I welcome you to click here.

EASY_T

Nov 30, 1999
Visit site
Ok..this is what an old fart like me uses:

3 button Logitech mouse :
-left is fire
-middle is alt/fire
-right is forward

The mouse is invereted and mouse-look is on, I use my right hand for mouse.

left hand is on keyboard at bottom arrow pad:
left arrow=strafe left
right arrow=strafe right
down arrow=backward
forward arrow=jump

Rt/Ctrl=crouch
keypad#1=advance weps
keypad#0=reverse weps

My hands seldom move around the keyboard, everything is right there, ..unless I have to scratch an itch.

use other number keypad buttons as you see fit.

This is the best configuration for playing UT and Unreal.

SWITCH

Nov 25, 1999
BUFFALO
Visit site
I use the standard typing keys...

ESDF one key over from WASD

Mouse keyboard config give's you the best control and the more fluid that any other method.

The arrow keys are real gay I feel like an idot when I have to put my left hand on the right hand side of the keyboard? What kind of sense is that? Why not sit up straight and use AWSD or ESDF ??

Also I use the inverted mouse. (from the good old Forsaken days)

Oh yeah how can you guys play withoug a WHEEL MOUSE?

[This message has been edited by SWITCH (edited 12-06-1999).]

[This message has been edited by SWITCH (edited 12-06-1999).]

The Zen

Dec 6, 1999
Visit site
Well, being a gamepad player all my life, I really had to find a gamepad that gave me the accuracy and ease that my friend commanded using the keyboard and mouse. Well, Microsoft's SideWinder Dual Strike is it. It takes a little getting used to, but in a day or 2 you will wonder how you ever played games with a mouse and keyboard. The Dual Strike is awesome. And now, my scores have really gone up because now I can aim as easily as the mouse people do.

[This message has been edited by The Zen (edited 12-06-1999).]

ty_Fortune

Okay, I've maintained pretty much the same setup since I taught myself to use mouse in the Q1 days.

-Inverted Mouse(anyone whos ever played a flight sim most likely uses inverted)

-mouse1 -fire
-mouse2 -jump
-mouse3 -alt fire
-W -forward
-S -back
-A -strafe left
-D -strafe right

In my opinion WASD is superior to the arrow keys because you easily have access to all the keys around them. for instance:

-C -crouch
-Q -flak cannon(or grenade launcher in q2)
-E -rocket launcher
-F -shockrifle(or railgun in Q2)
-spacebar -Plasma gun(hyper blaster in q2)
-shift -translocator(or grapple in q2)

And i moved the rest of my weapons to 1-6 which are all easily accesible from WASD(6 is a bit of a stretch but its the biorifle which I rarely use anyway).

I am new to FPS's (be playing for 1 year) and I use normal mouse (whats with the inverted mouse?) and then I use:

2nd mouse button to run forward.
1st mouse button to Alt Fire
Mouse wheel button for Primary Fire
Mouse wheel to switch weapons
F Key: run backwards
S & D key: strafe Left & Right
Space: Jump
Left Alt: Duck
A: Best weapon

With UT and all the team game types I may just have to set a button for the translocator. Maybe V or G. Will have to play with that a little.

I do have some unortadoxed keys but it works for me.

See you on-line and in my sites /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif