UT3 DM-Atypic3dm1

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Atypic

Jul 2, 2008
UK, for now
DM-Atypic3dm1 [wip][Alpha1][Screens]

NOTE: I claim no credit for the layout of this map. It is a remake

Hi all,

I am in the process of creating a UT3 map with the aim of learning how to effectively mesh, light, and add effects to an Unreal Engine 3 map. For this I am remaking the Quake 3 map Karin(rota3dm2) by Rota. I am not claiming any credit for the layout of this map. The choice for using the layout was to save time so I could focus on the elements I wish to learn. I also think the map is great and would be a good 4on4 map that could be used in UT3 as they are a bit lacking in numbers at the moment.

So with out further a do:

Below are two screens of my progress. The first is Karin and the second is my version which I am trying to create as faithfully as possible scale wise.

As soon as I have the base layout done I'll start posting files for critique re item placement etc.

Regards,

Atypic

Note: Screens of latest version can be found below in posts 8 and 9

Attachments

• 19411185591724lg.jpg
    19411185591724lg.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 167
  • atypic_screen1.JPG
    atypic_screen1.JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

Atypic

Jul 2, 2008
UK, for now
I'm playing thought the map and mapping out the floorplan to UT3 scale. I'll be finishing of the the layout this weekend. Download link of that will be released as soon as thats done.

Use the same textures ftw.

That would take away from me learning how make a more meshed than low poly map. I am not learning 3ds max as I do not have a copy to use so I was going to go with Stock meshes. That said I could use this opportunity to learn how add in custom materials.

After a bit of digging I have managed to get my hands on all of the original source textures for this map. So we will see what comes of this low poly monster.

*goes off to get a copy of Photoshop*

CREDIT UPDATE I am still waiting for permission from the author to publish this map. I've emailed him at the address he left in his readme and posted a comment on the lvlworld.com. I figure as long as I credit him things should be ok. Yes?

Last edited:

Atypic

Jul 2, 2008
UK, for now
progress report 2

Credit Note: I heard back from Rota and he has given me permission providing I send him a link to the final version. Can live with that ;)

So my efforts today included:
  • Getting complete floorplan down on paper
  • Finding all source art used in the map

List for next session:
  • Learn to import all textures to Unrealed (hello hourence tutorials)
  • Learn to create an animated Material (rotating to be precise)
  • BSP out the layout for player testing.

Will be back to you all with screens/download link once I've made some progress on these!

Happy 4th of July weekend to all you Americans out there :)

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
nice choice to remake this map. i knew i had played the original a while ago but first thought it was too small to hold as many players as you said in your initial post. but after playing it again just now i guess it will indeed work.
good luck, man :)

Atypic

Jul 2, 2008
UK, for now
Update 3

Screens set 1

Attachments

• DM-Atypic3dm1-01.jpg
    DM-Atypic3dm1-01.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 42
  • DM-Atypic3dm1-02.jpg
    DM-Atypic3dm1-02.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 24
  • DM-Atypic3dm1-03.jpg
    DM-Atypic3dm1-03.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 29
  • DM-Atypic3dm1-04.jpg
    DM-Atypic3dm1-04.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 27
  • DM-Atypic3dm1-05.jpg
    DM-Atypic3dm1-05.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 27

Atypic

Jul 2, 2008
UK, for now
Update 4

Screen set 2

Alpha 1 with basic layout , pathing, and units. Please hit me with some feedback. bare in mind its a basic shell. None of the real textures or lighting is present. This is purely for basic gameplay layout and testing.

Attachments

• DM-Atypic3dm1-06.jpg
    DM-Atypic3dm1-06.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 38
  • DM-Atypic3dm1-07.jpg
    DM-Atypic3dm1-07.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 37
  • DM-Atypic3dm1.zip
    620 KB · Views: 8

Atypic

Jul 2, 2008
UK, for now
Thank you for that crayfish!

I got stuck for a while will be back on it soon. RL got in the way for a bit! Getting back to it shortly! :)

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
i tried it and as far as i can tell it's pretty close to the original. but i think you should probably scale it up a little as it feels a tad narrow in some places compared to the original.
btw are those textures placeholders or are you planning on using this style?