The flag in CTF should be something unique and futuristic

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What kind of flag would you like?

• Total voters

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
A mutator could be always possible. A simple hologram base with a nasty flag model. Then the player would cary a small package which would be attached on his back. It's all possible but require some skills to make.

wiki.beyondunreal.com is your friend.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
What if you cap a flag, and say your team is thunder crash.
The moment you cap it, an animation commences on the flag itself. Say... an eagle flying by. And maybe the sound of its shriek.

Might be a little too much. So if you'd leave out the sound, but keep the animation.

Whenever a team caps a flag, their logo appears. And when you cap, the animation starts.

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
NeoNite said:
What if you cap a flag, and say your team is thunder crash.
The moment you cap it, an animation commences on the flag itself. Say... an eagle flying by. And maybe the sound of its shriek.

Might be a little too much. So if you'd leave out the sound, but keep the animation.

Whenever a team caps a flag, their logo appears. And when you cap, the animation starts.
I would rather have the logo always animated, and then have a special animation for when you score the enemy flag.

I also want COLORED team symbols. It would look way better than just a white outline, and you could then have national flags and such for competition matches.

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
Selerox said:
Seen how many people are playing Q4CTF recently? It's a nightmare of an idea. A flag's a flag.
rofl do you seriously mean that Q4CTF has very little people playing because of the flag style it has?

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Neophoenix said:
I would rather have the logo always animated, and then have a special animation for when you score the enemy flag.

I also want COLORED team symbols. It would look way better than just a white outline, and you could then have national flags and such for competition matches.

Maybe if the logos would have a slight... halo.. and when you cap it would light up...and animate at the same moment.

F.e. an eagle: When you cap, the eagly spreads its wings, shrieks and lights up..

Eh, maybe a little exagerated.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I dunno... I thought people didn't play Q4CTF because it was total crap just like the rest of the game. Maybe my logic is skewed though since I haven't played the game since four days after I bought it. :shake:

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
Turns2Ashes said:
I dunno... I thought people didn't play Q4CTF because it was total crap just like the rest of the game. Maybe my logic is skewed though since I haven't played the game since four days after I bought it. :shake:
Why is it so crap? I've been trying to find a demo, to see what Q4 is all about.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I wasn't kidding. But it would probably be hard trying to keep it within reasonable boundries. I mean, you get too many animations/sounds and it's overkill...

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
imo the holoflag things in UC2 and Q4 look like something you'd get from Q3's cg_simpleItems.
I really dont care what type of flag, (classic/future) just as long as it doesn't look like a sprite.

ThirtySixBelow

tactical inaccuracy
Feb 6, 2005
Neophoenix said:
Why is it so crap? I've been trying to find a demo, to see what Q4 is all about.

The multiplayer is alright, the movement is just a little to slow and the rox are poorly programmed. They move very slow so you can't hit someone at long distances and since the player movement is so slow, they totally own from up close. The way you move with the haste pickup should be how it is all the time. The single player is totally kick butt though, I loved it. The environment of the single player was second to none. You get all kinds of feelings while playing through it. The only thing about the single player that I didn't like was the skyboxes, they looked pretty previous gen. (most likely the engines fault since doom 3 was mostly all indoors and there was no need for a solid skybox system). You will get a mixed bag asking about this game. If you ask someone like T2A who played it 3 times and automatically labeled it as dumb, you will get all and nothing but negative comments about every aspect of the game. If you ask someone who is indifferent to what makes games good, then they will rave about all of it's features and how awesome it is only because it looks good and not knowing that the game is pretty standard to the FPS genere. I guess i'm somewhere in the middle. I liked the single player because it was fun for me. That doesn't mean it will be fun for everyone though. I'm not much into the multiplayer though because of it's few shortcommings. It's very close to being great, but they missed a few things that hopefully the mod community will pick up. If you like single player I would get it, if you want something to replace your UT, wait for some mods you like, if any, to come out.

About the flag, I guess the holographic standard looking flag would be my choice. I doubt the flag is going to make or break the gametype.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
When I say "Q4 sucks" I mean the multiplayer. Perhaps I should have clarified. I gave it more than a few tries and it's just the most boring spamfest I have ever had the misfortune of taking part in. If said spam was fun I'd be all for it, but it's not. It's a slow and lumbering excuse for FPS multiplayer, and I never had any fun playing it. I haven't touched the single player yet, and while that may look good, the multiplayer maps all pretty much look like total crap, and the engine runs slow as hell for the amount of stuff it's rendering. I'm not gonna say "it's okay" when I severely dislike playing it, and it's ridiculous when the success of a game depends on a community-made mod that may or may not come into existence at some point in the future. I had an open mind when I got the game; in fact, I wanted the game to succeed in ways UT2004 has failed and I really hoped it would be a huge success. I was greeted by nothing but disappointment with regards to the multiplayer, so I stopped playing it completely and haven't looked back since. Naturally, this is what I need to post whenever someone asks my opinion on the game, but I'm lazy, so I just paraphrase everything I just said by saying "Q4 sucks" instead.

ThirtySixBelow

tactical inaccuracy
Feb 6, 2005
I totally agree that it's lame they are putting the multiplayer in the hands of the community. They should have released them as separate games if they felt rushed to get it out and therefore didn't put much into it. If someone decides to base their opinion on one persons dislike of the game, then that's their fault anyway, but someone else might actually enjoy the game :B

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
Sounds Like I won't be getting Q4 any time soon :p. I'm not going to spend $50 just to find out, "yeah they were right, it does suck." And the fact it seems no demo was made further puts me off. Epic better release a demo, or I'll be pissed.

FireCrack said:
A worn, tattered, fabric flag is best!
Aren't the current UT2004 flags like this already?

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Eh, just because they don't like it after playing the game for a few days (veteran level achieved), doesn't mean you will share their disgust ;-)

It does need a friggin' demo, though.

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
Phopojijo said:
Lol, its all in the details afterall.
ok let me rephrase. "do you seriously mean that Q4CTF has very little people playing JUST because of the flag style it has?"

the flag style made little to no impact.