idea for other (next?)map

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Screech

Jul 11, 2004
I've been playing clone bandits online a lot--i'm a regular at a few of the servers. needless to say, although the mod kicks ass, the one map gets repetitive. however, i think it would take away a bit of the fun to have a totally different map because a lot of what makes this game so cool is the future-retro look of not only the vhicles but also the map itself. so, i figure: why not make a "darknight" version of this map? the only thing that i think would need to be changed with the mod in general is that in order to accomodate nighttime playing, lights would have to be added to all the vehicles (i don't think the tank has any, and a tank you can't see would be a bit too powerful IMHO).

problem is, i can't map :shy: i might be able to look over mapping over the summer now but i can't be sure. so i'm hoping that some of you geniuses might be able to mak this work :) :notworthy:

moscowboys flying around at night would look awesome i think :D

hottoast

Art Worker
Screech said:
I've been playing clone bandits online a lot--i'm a regular at a few of the servers. needless to say, although the mod kicks ass, the one map gets repetitive. however, i think it would take away a bit of the fun to have a totally different map because a lot of what makes this game so cool is the future-retro look of not only the vhicles but also the map itself. so, i figure: why not make a "darknight" version of this map? the only thing that i think would need to be changed with the mod in general is that in order to accomodate nighttime playing, lights would have to be added to all the vehicles (i don't think the tank has any, and a tank you can't see would be a bit too powerful IMHO).

problem is, i can't map :shy: i might be able to look over mapping over the summer now but i can't be sure. so i'm hoping that some of you geniuses might be able to mak this work :) :notworthy:

moscowboys flying around at night would look awesome i think :D

Actually, the Lounge Tank has lights mounted on the front of it... Though the idea of a night-version of the level is interesting, it would probably be a lot of work, in exchange for a level that isn't really new. We'd rather spend the energy making something wholly new, yet still preserving that retro look.

We encourage you to take a look at mapping levels - all the art that's in Death Valley is provided for use in our packages, so making something in the same style is certainly possible!

Cheers,
Tom

bluchez

Jul 6, 2004
I'm working on this idea in my spare time. I'm about half way there, and will post it here in about a week.

bluchez

Jul 6, 2004
Screech said:
:tup: this is great :)

I got it dark just fine, now I'm just spending time adding street lights, etc.

Should progress fine by the end of the week.

bluchez

Jul 6, 2004
Is there a way to add a spotlight to the turret? I would like the turret to have a spotlight shine where it is pointed, is there any way to do that?

Screech

Jul 11, 2004
well, there are lights on the car, i'm guessing you could use one of those... however, i'm not sure exactly how you would go about actually attaching it to the turret..... :shake:

Last edited:

Jason[Demiurge]

Level Designer
bluchez said:
Is there a way to add a spotlight to the turret? I would like the turret to have a spotlight shine where it is pointed, is there any way to do that?

Which turret? The Bertha Turrets? if so then you may have a few problems. First of all the bertha turret fires in an arc and spot lights shine in a straight line. Because of this you will have a hard time lining up the hit spot with the light. Ignoring that issue, you could try rigidly attaching a projector to the turret, but I have no idea if that will work. I suspect some amoune of code will be required to get that to work no matter what. It's an interesting idea though. good luck! :)

bluchez

Jul 6, 2004
Jason[Demiurge] said:
Which turret? The Bertha Turrets? if so then you may have a few problems. First of all the bertha turret fires in an arc and spot lights shine in a straight line. Because of this you will have a hard time lining up the hit spot with the light. Ignoring that issue, you could try rigidly attaching a projector to the turret, but I have no idea if that will work. I suspect some amoune of code will be required to get that to work no matter what. It's an interesting idea though. good luck! :)

Yeah, the Bertha Turrets. I wasn't concerned about the arc, because I was just going to follow the crosshair that is already there. It doesn't ensure that you are always going to hit where the light/crosshair is, but in many circumstances it is correct. I was going to give it a moderate radius as well, so that if it didn't hit center, you might still see the hit. Coding I'm not concerned about, if I knew the syntax ( tutorial? ). I'm a c++ programmer by trade, and write MUCH more complicated things than that on a daily basis, so it doesn't frighten me.

dchamp

Aug 21, 2004
Mod idea

Screech's idea for a night map would be cool... however I agree with the Demi-urge guys that it would be nicer to see a totally new map.

How about a Clone Factory map... you could do some nifty things with warehouse buildings, lots of options like loading docks w/ ramps, and various industrial buildings & machinery.

Keep up the good work on Clone Bandits. It's now my favorite UT mod... I'm talking to my local cyber cafe about installing it there.