Skybox texture alignment (UT)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
Here's the deal:

I have some custom textures of a guy, to make use in a Skybox.
No matter what, the textures always seem to not align correctly, thus making the skybox look fake (its those terragen enviro-maps).

I have made all sort of cube sizes to hold the sky, and nothing.
I remember seeing some possible solution to this involving importing the cube brush from other map (???), and then apply the textures - by RevBillyG i think.
Anybody else can give me a hand?

Chrysaor

Lord of the Pants
Nov 3, 2001
Hiding in your Attic
Do the textures tile when they're side by side and flat?

You can just use the scaling options, can't you?

I guess you could give the brush mapping coordinates in max and then import it to UT, then it would line up flawlessly, but I don't see why that's necessary or how another map would work...erm.

If the the textures work in 2D then the scaling properties should make them work in 3d.

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
... welll... i used this to try and solve the problem: in a skybox cube of 128^3 it would show minor 1uu lines both vertically and horizontally where it should perfectly connect. I did a new cube of 127^3 and aligned the textures. Half of the problem seems to be solved. A few lines remain, and i'll try and clear them out by this process. The 'no-perfect-alignment-to-cube-mesurements' problem is still puzzling as the textures are 256 or 128 (can't remember), and either way, multiple of 16, a straight mesure i always use. No can do using 256^3 cube, if you're thinking...

Chrysaor

Lord of the Pants
Nov 3, 2001
Hiding in your Attic
Oh. Maybe they just need editing in Photoshop/etc. the 127 cube seems okay, but that's rather off the grid. I guess it won't matter much as it's a skybox. You could always stretch the textures 1% or something too.

X22887

!Crap Mapper!
May 2, 2002
I've had the problem, and a small ammount of fog hides huges sins when it comes to seams, or so sayeth some of the big name mappers

X22887

!Crap Mapper!
May 2, 2002
Hourences said:
set the textures to clamp instand of wrap and it will be fixed
rightclikc a texture in tex browser > second last thing > the u and v wrap mode

wow udn shall pay for not telling me this... or not

maybe I'll just go cry:(

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
TX............

I've been having skybox texture scaling/alignment problems when converting other people's maps from UT2K3 to 2K4.

For some reason the skyboxes get thoroughly trashed even after a rebuild.

Hopefully some of this info will help me effect repairs to these hapless fake backdrops.

Thanks.