Changes in the next UT

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DaBeatard

Mr.How
Nov 20, 2002
Visit site
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=156602
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=156526

Here are some changes from UT2K4 to the up coming version:

No BR, AS, DDom. Not even a mention one way or the other on LMS or Mutant. New gametype is called Conquest (mix of ONS & AS?). Lightning gun appears to be out. Bio, grenade, Mine Layer all rolled in to one gun. Dual Enforcers. Stinger replaces mini.
In the article they mention that the player movement will be toned down so fighting will be more close range than it is in UT2K4.

I think these changes are pretty good, especially cutting down on the gametypes.

Dec 29, 2004
Am I really to only one who thinks this 'next' UT is just gonna be crap ?
Why the hell are they gonna replace a cool weapon like the minigun with an oldschool weapon (stinger) ? And conquest sounds like a cheap gametype to me.

Dirdmister

Apr 12, 2004
Birmingham, England
dirdmister.bravehost.com
Hmm i already saw this on unrealnorth so ill cop from there: -
No mention of Assault or Domination. - GOOD! they suck
Onslaught - NOT GOOD! it sucks too
Conquest mode - Sounds lame
sleafs - "Sleaves" spell it right :D <-- doesnt apply here :D
Unreal Tournament 2006 - Orgasmic feeling jus saying it 8)

Last edited:

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
# Expect UT2004's "bounciness" to be toned down in the next UT.
# The double-jump is back.

Am I the only one not having a clue what this means :confused:

# It is possible that "Envy" will not be called "Unreal Tournament 2006" or "Unreal Tournament 2007".
\o/

# As with many UT2004 levels, the layout of maps in the next UT is being finalized before artwork is incorporated.
...like it should have been in the first place

# Further info on the Conquest gametype:
* Features eight teams, each with unique armor.

Eight teams? I better not forget to bind "say TEAMS!!!" to a button :hmm:

# "We've paid [...] a lot of attention to what the guys in the community are saying, and we take that feedback to heart." - Jim Brown
Sounds nice, but in my community experience, everyone wants a different game (try digging up the feature request threads from a while back)

Further thoughts:
Seriously gonna miss BR, but I must agree that it's better to ditch it than having it around and have a completely split up community
I never get around to truly understand the theoretical aspects of a gametype ('t was the same with onslaught), so I better not give too much commentary on things.

BlackLeaf

Sep 26, 2004
Conquest mode sounds overwhelming to me. It almost sounds like something where each game will take half a day to complete. I hope this is only due to the early nature of such news about the new game, and that things will start making more sense the closer to a final version that they get to.

DaBeatard

Mr.How
Nov 20, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, it's too early to make judgements on anything yet, but I think the road they're taking is better than what they did from UT to UT2K3.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
I do like the sound of a lot of the changes. More fighting and less running away sounds good to me.

DaBeatard

Mr.How
Nov 20, 2002
Visit site
SlayerDragon said:
I do like the sound of a lot of the changes. More fighting and less running away sounds good to me.
There was no mention of the shield gun either. Looks like they really do want more fighting.

LooseCannon

... but it's not pink ... ooh yes it is!
Oct 27, 2004
Hampshire, UK
Overall it sound good to me.

Update - 27 Mar 05 9:45PM EST by RaptoR: ... "there may be the option to treat a conquest match like a long term war, so you can play, take a break, and then go back and play more later"

Can you imagine the 'discussion' at FragBu at 2pm EST that it's time for a break chaps, we'll restart this Conquest next Friday? That concept is going to be a challenge to implement.

Anyone used a 'Stinger'?

Jun 23, 2004
www.jumpinjuggernuts.com
Players less bouncy. That sucks. I doubt there is going to be anything better than ut2004 gameplay. One reason I stopped playing slow paced shooters is because I felt like my movement was being limited. There is nothing better than leaping around a well made map and reaping the benefits of learning how to dodge jump properly.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Oh god yes!

All sounding good to me. Sounds like some old skool Unreal stuff's back. Overall I'm pretty happy. Dropping the mini for the stinger is probably a smart move long term. The weapons sound good, the fact that Epic genuinely seem to want to fix their mistakes can only be a good thing. The fact that seem to be putting gameplay in place and building graphics around it is another thing that makes me a lot more confident than I was.

At the end of the day, we're all UT fans, we'll buy it, play it and love it.

Sym - you know that AS will be modded after about a week right? It will happen :)

T

Tournament0

I'm going to get a new computer, so I can take full advantage of Unreal Engine 3.
:tup:

BlackLeaf

Sep 26, 2004
Selerox said:
Sym - you know that AS will be modded after about a week right? It will happen :)

That's a good point, as wasn't there a team making AS for UT2k3 before the announcment of 2k4?

AMmayhem

Mayhem is everywhere
Nov 3, 2001
NaliCity, MI
Visit site
# * Features eight teams, each with unique armor.
Eight teams kind of worries me some. I'm more worried about them having odd little 'abilities' (such as the armor) associated with each of the Humans, Krall, Necris, etc. that may not be balanced quite right.

# No AS, BR, DDOM
As much as I love BR like Taleweaver, it is probably best they eliminate these lesser played gametypes to keep from splitting everyone up.

# DM, TDM, CTF, ONS
I love ONS as well, only I don't think people quite get it, unless they start playing maps with 8+ nodes. Then strategy really comes into play. As for DM, TDM, and CTF- How can you not leave those out?!

# Conquest
I love this idea. Everyone is worried about half day long matches. I for one look forward to these. I love the Half Life mod Natural Selection, and some of those matches would go 3-6 hours. Conquest sounds like we're getting closer to all out war. It would be cool for offline play if you could save in the middle of a match and continue later. That would be so awesome.

# Weapons
I love their ideas for changing weapons, almost completely. I've never been a fan of the Biorifle until UT2004, it finally seems effective to me, but that's only a minor gripe, I'll wait to see what the Canister gun does.

W00t to no ASSault Rifles, and back to Enforcers.

As for the the Stinger-Minigun switch, I don't think they're gaining much. Though I don't know what modifications the Stinger has now. The Pulse gun originally replaced the Stinger, with a better secondary fire. But if they're keeping the Link Gun, and adding the Stinger, it seems a little redundant. The primary fire is basically the same, only the Stinger shoots Tarydium shards. The secondary just shot like 5 at once in a random pattern. Have to wait and see how this turns out.

* Nakhti (Egyptians from UC2)
* Necris
* Juggernauts
* The Corrupt
* Iron Guard
* Krall
* Jacob's Team (Marines?)
* "Player's Team" (Unnamed)

I say get rid of the Egyptians, and throw the Skaarj back in, or maybe even the Nali for giggles. Egyptians don't say "Unreal franchise" to me, stick with original aliens like they have with the Krall.

--------------------------------
I just can't wait for more info at this point. I'm just going to eat it up when it gets here! :D

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
Well if nothing else the missing gametypes will still give you a reason to play 2k4.

But I'm a little iffy on the no shield-gun thing... I needs my pogo-stick dammit.

Also if this follows the current "storylines" they better have a damn good Gorge in it after how they sissy-fied him in UC2. Hopefully it's just a "stage" he's going through now... :(

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Come on people!

The minigun sucks!! Why would you want to keep it even over the classic stinger????