First Screenshots of Unreal Engine 4

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Wired magazine posted an article on their website about Unreal Engine 4 which also has a few screenshots from the Unreal Engine 4 demo reel.

uengine_120517_1.jpg

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Wow, it doesn't look like the typical Unreal Engine plastic textures/shading/bumpmapping or whatever. THERE MAY BE HOPE!

Edit: Actually, it kinda looks like clay now instead...

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
I hope this is going to be available in UDK. I hope they don't make a silly decision to keep UDK as UE3 longer than it needs to be.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Looks really good. Just look at those bricks in the distance. Also,
f_unreal4_ss.jpg

The amount of particle effects going on here is astounding.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Or just let's don't revisit Napali anymore

For the engine, HYPE. I loved UE3 and I can't wait to see a demo of this.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I may be in the vast minority on this but the engine so far is not impressing me. UE2 to UE3 was a vast improvement, this just looks like a minor update to the existing build of UE3 but with flashier particle effects.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
I may be in the vast minority on this but the engine so far is not impressing me. UE2 to UE3 was a vast improvement, this just looks like a minor update to the existing build of UE3 but with flashier particle effects.

There isn't much more an engine can be coded to do. All they can do is calculate the light better and develop new shaders to make things seem more real and make more intuitive tools. The high geometry detail already exists.

This demo we're looking at isn't that great for artistic purposes. It's more of a quickly pieced together technical demo. The Samaritan video looked better than that and that was still using UE3.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
There isn't much more an engine can be coded to do. All they can do is calculate the light better and develop new shaders to make things seem more real and make more intuitive tools. The high geometry detail already exists.

If you believe that, then the battle is already lost!

(There is so much more an engine can do that many do not).