M-14 Rifle

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Should the M-14 and/or the SVD be added to Infiltration?

• Yes, add the M-14!

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • I prefer the SVD, actually.

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Why not add both?

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • No, we don't need either one.

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters
I would very much like to see the good ol' M-14 in Infiltration. It fulfils a role that is not yet covered in the current arsenal; that is, a 7.62mm battle rifle.

Now, some people might disagree with adding an "outdated" weapon, since Infiltration is a modern military simulator. In response, I point out that the U.S. Navy Seals, and presumably also other special-forces units, continue to use the M-14 upon occasion, due to its superior range and hitting power vs. an ordinary assault rifle.

As an alternative to the M-14, I also present the Russian SVD Dragunov rifle. Much like the M-14, it is a 7.62mm semi-automatic weapon, designed not as a dedicated sniper weapon but as a more accurate, longer-ranged weapon for the ordinary infantryman.

LoTekK

Peon
Jul 26, 2001
Washington, DC
for a battle rifle, i'd probably lean more towards the FN FAL, or something similar... possibly a G3, although i know a lot of people will jump on me for that by saying we have too many HK weapons... :rolleyes:

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
You will never, EVER pry a 7.62mm battle rifle out of my hands.
That and a option for rifle grenades...
Fullfills the "yurches-smackdown" role I so often try to fulfill.

LoTekK

Peon
Jul 26, 2001
Washington, DC
you mean the L85-A1? that's 5.56, unles you mean their LSW, which is 7.62, IIRC...
anyways, the L-85A1 apparently has been plagued with problems, and it's a rather ugly-looking mofo to boot... ;)
tiffy, any clarification on the L-85?

Trevor_Clim

Is this virtuous?
Aug 6, 2001
Yew
add the FN FAL, its offers some cool heavy fire.

NO, NOT THE G3!!! it looks so ugly... plastic crap!

hey what about adding not the AK47 (its surely over-done) , we should add the AKM (i think its 7.62) or the AK74 (not sure which caliber)

hey yeah the AKM... some russian stuff, AKMSU + AKM

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
Nothing wrong with the current British Army Rifle L85A1. Its has some problems, but no more than the M16. Its undergoing a rolling MOD program at the present to improve it. I preferred it to the M16.

The SAW the Brits use is the L86 LSW. Its a heavy barrel version of the L85 rifle with a bipod. It has 95% parts commonality with the rifle. Nice weapon, although if fired too much on Auto has a bit of a tendance to stoppages. Being fixed though.

There also a Carbine/SMG the L101.

Biggest advantage of the L85 rifle series is I can fix ANYTHING in the field. Give me the parts and I can build you a rifle in about an hour. It doesn't require going to workshops for repair so when it does have a major breakage, its quickly repaired and back in use.

The only 7.62 weapons in regular use in the British Army now are the GMPG (FN-MAG), some L4A5 LMG (The old Bren Gun), L42 and L96 sniper rifles.

My vote would be for the L1A1, but hell just stick an FN-FAL in and I will not use the Auto setting :p or even an AKM RIFLE (not the AKMSU pile of uncontrollable junk) would be nice. We need more SovBlock weapons in the game.

BTW the SVD is a Sniper Rifle the is chambered for the Russian 7.62x54 Round. Thats the same round as fired by some of their Machine Guns. Its an excellent rifle with very nice ballistics and lots of toys as standard.

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
The L85 used to be pretty unreliable in the first version, but as ShakKen mentioned many time before, and as Tiffy just said, it's pretty reliable now, especially the new SA80A2. The following numbers were taken from the British Army homepage(http://armydev.dera.gov.uk/presscentre/database/showPR.asp?id=2382):
(modified a bit for easier reading..)

IW* / LSW**
Trials Type - Location: MRBF*(IW)/MRBF(LSW)
Cold/Dry - Alaska: 31,500/43,200
Temperate - UK: >31,500/16,000
Hot/wet - Brunei: >31,500/9,600
Hot/Dry - Kuwait: 7,875/8,728
Average: 25,200/12,897

*IW..Individual Weapon(the AR)
**LSW..Light Support Weapon
***MRBF..Mean Round Between Failure(i.e. how many round can be fired(avg) until it jams)

Pretty impressive, isn't it? Note that according to the article the LSW has harder tests and therefore a lower MRBF.
I agree that the source is not totally unbiased, but I suppose those were official tests..

Back to the topic, yes 7.62 would be nice, and a M21 or Dragunov would be an addition I'd like to see, though I personally would prefer semi-auto rifles only(i.e. the two above or L1A1, which is the British FN FAL IIRC semi-auto only..). Would keep the balance better IMO.

EDIT:
Tiffy, you're sure the L42 is still in use? Think that's the Enfield Sniper rifle in 7.62(derived from the No4), with a match barrel and that funny 2.5x scope, isn't it?

Snakeye :D

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
Yep its still used by some poor Territorial Army units. All regular Sniper rifles are the L96 now, but units still ahve the odd L42 hanging around.

Hell the British Army doesn't look like a Gypsy camp on the move for nothing. We NEVER throw away anything that looks even halve useful. We're the Magpioes of the Proffessional Armies, probably because we never have the right kit for the job and we're forever making do :D

&

"Sp!ke"

You dare calling a HK ugly!!!?!?
Add Ag3:

action2norway2.jpg

Gholam

Sergeant (Reserve), IDF
Jun 19, 2001
Rehovot, Israel
If a battle rifle goes in, then yeah, FN FAL all the way :) G3 is nice, but there's way too much H&K crap already in AND planned.

Trevor_Clim: There's 7.62 and then there's 7.62. Most common 7.62 calibers:

7.62x25mm - originally developed for C-96 Mauser Military Pistol, also used in TT pistol, PPSh, PPD, PPS russian SMGs, quite a few chinise weapons.

7.62x39mm - russian cartridge developed during WWII, used in SKS carbine, AK-47, AKM, RPK, other weapons. Similar to 5.56mm in power.

7.62x51mm NATO aka .308 Winchester - developed after WWII, used by M14, FN FAL, many other weapons.

7.62x54mm Russian - developed for Model 1891 Mosin rifle, used to this day in many weapons, including SVD.

.30-06 (7.62x63mm) - developed for M1903 Springfield, also used in M1 Garand and M1919 machine gun. Almost out of use by now, though IDF still uses the M1919's in limited numbers.

&

"Sp!ke"

G36 = Cheap plasitc sh!t
AG3 = Its made in Norway, nuff said.;)

Profe

Jun 12, 2001
Visit site
for some inexplicable reason this last month I have gained interest in the M-14. hey but if you guys prefer the, then FAL it should be.

jlamb_vo

{GD}Spunky{Pfc}
May 19, 2001
Visit site
Seeing OICW's pic, could someone enlighten me on that particular weapon? It looks like a behemoth of a rifle and I have never heard anything about it.