Shiny happy new reviewers ok?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zlal

New but not improved.
Nov 4, 2001
Exeter
I'm sure I speak for the other new reviewers (Ammayhem / Frieza) when I ask people how we are doing.

We've only reviewed a few maps, but have you guys out there got any problems with them? Too harsh, hard to read or do they need to be more detailed?

I for one want to improve my writing style so critisism is appreciated and encouraged.

AMmayhem

Mayhem is everywhere
Nov 3, 2001
NaliCity, MI
Visit site
Yeah, I'd kind of like to know too. A couple of other reviews I've typed up are a little shorter (haven't posted them yet :p ), and I'm wondering if I'm cutting too much detail to make them a little shorter.

Zlal

New but not improved.
Nov 4, 2001
Exeter
AMmayhem said:
Yeah, I'd kind of like to know too. A couple of other reviews I've typed up are a little shorter (haven't posted them yet :p ), and I'm wondering if I'm cutting too much detail to make them a little shorter.

I'm worried mine are too short actually... I'm trying to pack as much description in them as possible but I keep finding that I have nothing left to say :/

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
To be honist shad, I think the length of your reviews are about right for someone who wants the impression of the map.
If the mapper wants feedback then yeah, it is a bit short, but that's not the main reason for the review. If they want more feedback they should get the map playtested.
I'd only bother writing a bit more when you are reviewing a total ownage map like aristocracy (though I am glad you didn't review that one ;) )

AMmayhem

Mayhem is everywhere
Nov 3, 2001
NaliCity, MI
Visit site
Bot_40 said:
I'd only bother writing a bit more when you are reviewing a total ownage map like aristocracy (though I am glad you didn't review that one ;) )

Hmm, I find it harder to write more for a good map. I mean, what more is there to say other than "The architecture is awesome, I love the arched doorway." :hmm:

Maybe I'm just focusing too much on the negative.

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
Shadowlurker said:
you forgot bald and ugly ;)

Stop looking at my ass :D

When I'm done mapping I'll kick out a few reviews while I work on MyMod.

As a critique you nOObs tend to be a little wordy. I'm not saying to make 1 sentance reviews, just maybe limit it 1000 words, and include more screenshots! 1 really isn't enough for a high scoring map. Mb one for maps for a score of 3 or under, and three for maps 7 or better... ppl like pictures.

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
For the decent maps I like to read a more indepth review of all the details like how the puddles make splashing noises, the windows have fog around them etc. etc.
It's these small details that noobs won't notice so you need to throw it into their faces, and also, other mappers should take note of these things so they know what small details make the map special.

Zlal

New but not improved.
Nov 4, 2001
Exeter
Twrecks said:
Stop looking at my ass :D

When I'm done mapping I'll kick out a few reviews while I work on MyMod.

As a critique you nOObs tend to be a little wordy. I'm not saying to make 1 sentance reviews, just maybe limit it 1000 words, and include more screenshots! 1 really isn't enough for a high scoring map. Mb one for maps for a score of 3 or under, and three for maps 7 or better... ppl like pictures.

Wordy? I disagree. I don't think 1000 words is enough to tell people about the map properly...
/me shrugs

MassChAoS

echo "NaliCity";
May 23, 2002
www.chaoticdreams.org
I think a review long enough to equal the amount of space 3 screenshots takes up would be a fairly good review. A little more or less is good. A paragraph review is not good unless the map can't be played.

AMmayhem

Mayhem is everywhere
Nov 3, 2001
NaliCity, MI
Visit site
Shadowlurker said:
Wordy? I disagree. I don't think 1000 words is enough to tell people about the map properly...
/me shrugs

Mine turn out to be around 400-500 words. And I try to get at least 3 shots, if there is at least 3 different areas I can take one of.

Zlal

New but not improved.
Nov 4, 2001
Exeter
AMmayhem said:
Mine turn out to be around 400-500 words. And I try to get at least 3 shots, if there is at least 3 different areas I can take one of.

I mean characters, not words. Dunno hw many words my reviews average out to be.