so everyone has lag?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
Online games will always have lag because it's actually impossible to completely get rid of. No matter how fast the connection, or how good the software/hardware combination, it will be there.

Cable and DSL bring down the lag to the point where it's not so noticable, but it's still there. Someone might ping, for example, 60ms to a server with a fast connection, but that's still a 60ms delay.

bullet2.gif

Turn it on. Turn it on, turn it on again. - Genesis.

Mr Z

Dec 3, 1999
Visit site
Yes, everyone has lag online, but the difference between DSL/Cable vs 56k is night and day. I don't fear bad pings anymore with cable, just packet loss. I ocassionally get PL and it can still throw my whole game to hell.

bullet2.gif

all that I know...
The Unknown Knows

S

Selerox[PuF]

Even if you have high pings, it can be worked around with practice. PL on the other hand, cannot be worked around and is garunteed to screw up anyones game.

bullet2.gif

PuF: Ready to take it up a level, once we've stopped trying to be Godlike...

BloodKnight

Nov 30, 1999
Canada!
www.utclanuniverse.com
And believe or not sometimes cable people like myself get the phonejack. The phonejack most of the time is because of the server, not the client (unless you are an idiot and have 400 ping or above)

But yes people do get lag, and we mean everyone!

bullet2.gif

- BloodKnight
bloodknight@somethingawful.com
bloodknight@yesic.com
bloodknight@ogl.org

ICQ - 12368747
UT Clan Universe -
http://www.unreality.org/universe
OGL UT Admin -
http://www.ogl.org

Computers is a lot like Air Conditioners, once Windows opens up, your screwed!

ngUID: 17391

BloodKnight

Nov 30, 1999
Canada!
www.utclanuniverse.com
How to put it..yes, but REALLY hard to tell.

The ping is in how many milliseconds for the delay

and a 60 millisecond delay isn't a problem for you or anyone else, right?

So yes, you do actually experiance nearly lagless or even lagless gameplay

bullet2.gif

- BloodKnight
bloodknight@yesic.com
bloodknight@ogl.org

ICQ - 12368747
UT Clan Universe -
OGL UT Admin -

BloodKnight

Nov 30, 1999
Canada!
www.utclanuniverse.com
It also varies from the server, for example I can't go to a UK server cuz I am in Canada and that is a LOOOONG Distance, it also depends on the server

As for the peak times, well for downloads it will affect it, in games, NOPE. In games having a major bandwidth isn't a problem, all you are is sending info back and forth

bullet2.gif

- BloodKnight
bloodknight@yesic.com
bloodknight@ogl.org

ICQ - 12368747
UT Clan Universe -
OGL UT Admin -

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I play on a cable and have had pretty smooth games on a server in NewZealand (I'm in Eastern US) and also on a server in the UK.

There is a bit of noticeable lag sometimes. Other times it's as smooth as glass. Mostly it depends on the server I connect to.

bullet2.gif

Yes, I know I'm full of $I-IiT - but I'm Godlike dammit!

hal{PuF}

D66

Grey Pilgrim
Feb 2, 2000
Gondolin
Visit site
Im a cable user and I get the phonejack very often. I know cable is prone to PL but I also think I may have a problem with my NIC or settings. I'll troubleshoot it when I have some time (which means I probably have to bring my PC to work and claim it is a user machine) Lag is always there no matter what. As to good ping to NewZeland from the east coast, well the main culprit to lag is the number of hops you go through, more hops means more servers to have to wait your turn in. If you are connecting to a NewZeland server with reletively few hops then you will have low ping. If you remove all the hops then your data is moving at close to lightspeed and you would hve virtualy no lag at all. This is why direct dial-up 28.8 between two PCs sometimes are faster than an ISDN over the Net. You can usualy expect a minimum of about 4 hops to just get outside your ISP. After that you are cruising ether. One good way to see if your ISP is guilty of your high ping is to go to a DOS window and type this

C:\windows\tracert {URL}
{URL} is any address you want to use as standard. I usualy use

C:\windows\tracert www.yahoo.com

After that you will be givven a listing of each hop you are sent through and a timing of each ping...
It will look like this

* 24 48 24.25.26.00

*=request timed out, These should be a red flag as they will cause PL

The numbers are your ping to that particular server. The last listing will either be an IP or http adress.

If you see high numbers or * in the first few hops then the problem is in your ISP. Get a new one or if you are brave, get on the phone and tell them about it.

High numbers or * in the later listings are on the Internet and beyond you or your ISP's ability to controll, live with it.

I love this command. Last week I spotted a crippled server on RoadRunners network and once I called, they fixed it and my PL at the same time.

--D66 smoked some of Rooster's stuff today.

--D66 has amazed himself with this informative and non spam posting....WOW!!!!

bullet2.gif

---Prof. Of Comic-Therory/Comedic-History
Ronnie Mervus will pay for his crimes!!!!
George Lucas, Give us Star Wars DVD! Or I swear I'll kill every ewok there is!!!

[This message has been edited by D66 (edited 02-28-2000).]

D66

Grey Pilgrim
Feb 2, 2000
Gondolin
Visit site
Ah hell
*BUMP*

bullet2.gif

---Prof. Of Comic-Therory/Comedic-History
Ronnie Mervus will pay for his crimes!!!!
George Lucas, Give us Star Wars DVD! Or I swear I'll kill every ewok there is!!!

CHRYSt

You can't help that. We're all mad here.
Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
Technically, there is a delay between the time you click the mouse and the time that you actually see it fire.
The electric current from the mouse, to the ps2 port, then it has to be processed by the chipset, sent to the CPU, then sent to memory, and processed along with the game, then sent back to the CPU, then to the AGP port, then to the video chip, then the monitor port, and then to the monitor cable, and the electrons have to go from the back of the monitor to the front, and the photons have to get from the monitor to your eyes.

All that takes time.

bullet2.gif

"Where's the BACTINE?! Some of this blood is MINE!!" -- JTHM

Smint

Nov 14, 1999
California
Everyone has lag. Unless you start a server (but people playing on your server have lag)

bullet2.gif

"I got Mad Skillz." ;)

<I am AnonSmint in UT if you want to take a beating>