just a little about realism, and armor

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

RAQ_DK

Apr 22, 2001
Visit site
"I can hop, I can run - it is very very fun"

Im trying to imagine what would happen IRL, if 2 hostile soldiers meet eachother round a corner being about 3-5 meters apart and both carrying a sig 551.
They are both walking with the riffle at hip, and both know they are facing an enemy.
I do realise there could be alot of info missing the the situation - but im just trying to compare RL with INF.

Do we have any vets on this forum with a good suggestion on what would happen?

INF:
Now, in INF - both players would start to strafe wildly, and alot of shots would miss. or prone... DIE PRONERS (german for proner:)

Real life:
I dont think anyone would start to strafe IRL nor really move that much - perhaps start to prone - both would be having an andrenaline rush, and would experience things going in slowmotion. I think most shots would hit.

And a little about armor in INF. Seems most bullets are AP
Wouldnt it just make you able to take about 1-2 more bullets? Wouldnt it be primary against scrapel from hand and -newbienades?
So whats the use anyway?

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
The reason people strafe is because running speed is so much higher than in real life making it actually work, and lack of inertia makes it possible to start strafing on a dime to dodge their bullets.

SoSilencer

Harry Goz (1932 - 2003)
Nov 27, 2000
unrealdev.net
The running speed is fine, because the scales used in the maps are not completely accurate and therefore any measurement based on these scales is also equally inaccurate. There are 2 reasons people strafe.

1: Without any noticable inertia or momentum you can switch directions virtually instantly making it very difficult to lead shots onto you if there is even so much as a hint of lag.

2: There is no accuracy penalty while moving. The current gun bobs are completely cosmetic.

If they added inertia making it more realistically easier to track moving targets, and added a realistic reduction in aim when moving, we would not have this problem. Speed has nothing to do with it, it's all about changing directions and accuracy.

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
we can make inf work with its current speed.
Read SoSilencers post over and over, until you can't take it anymore. Thats whats going on in my head all the time :p

McMuffin

The sh¡ttiest Infiltrator
Jul 30, 2000
OR
right on Sos

Even Tribes has more realistic inertia...

If we reduce the actual top speed of running, maps like EP will be EVEN MORE dull. While an acceleration decrease would just reduce circle strafing, which is good...

I imagine in real CQB one of 3 things would happen:

one guy shoots 1st and the other guy dies

both shoot about the same time and they both die

both shoot, one guy misses and dies

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
but if they both circle strafe...

one guy will fall flat on his face, because he was running with an acog.
The other guy will try to swiftly change directions, and end up slipping on gravel and doing a split, with 40+ pounds on his back.
either way...

St0rmcaller

[AFA]'s unoffical godfather
Apr 4, 2001
United States of America
Thats funny, yurch.

The one who who is trained well, would not have his rifle at the hip, and would double tap his ass at center mass. If both are trained well, both are dead. Thats the best I can do with the given information.