Tribes Universe

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Seems HiRez (Global Agenda) bought the Tribes IP and are working on an mmo called Tribes Universe.
Apparently the story goes that they saw the players' demand for larger scale battles in GA, but the tech just wouldn't allow for it unless they pretty much rewrote the whole thing. So instead of doing that, they're keeping GA as a 10v10 game and making the Tribes game the large scale, persistent outdoor 100's of players game. Sounds a bit like Planetside. I'm excited!

http://forum.globalagendagame.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=153&t=27766

* Three Tribes (factions)
* Full clan (agency) support
* First person view (third person for some vehicles)
* Full vehicle support (ground and air)
* Full persistent world with territory control (no instances)
* PvP focused
* Huge outdoor maps (about 10x the area of sonoran desert)
* Large scale fights (100+ players)
* Jetpacks, skiing, lots of weapons, etc
For those unfamiliar with Sonoran Desert, it's a pretty basic, smallish but not tiny mmo pve zone.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
I'd imagine so, considering that's what GA uses and I'm under the impression the tribes game will be based on GA, tech wise.

also -
In order to develop the new game many significant steps had to be taken, including: A significant rewrite to the unreal engine servers to allow for 100+ players to be fighting in the same map (...)

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
TenTon Q&A, though no groundbreaking news in it that I can see, other than maybe confirming the engine stuff.

We are using the Unreal Engine and many of the technologies we developed for Global Agenda. The Unreal engine is flexible and allows for many different game implementations.

The major tech work on this project, and it’s very substantial, involves a significant server-side re-architecting to better support very large battles. We’re also switching to Scaleform technology for our user interface, which will allow for a significantly sexier UI.

http://forum.globalagendagame.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=234&t=28394&start=0

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Official announcement teaser along with some info tidbits.
Edit: I guess it's actually a separate game, and the persistent-world variant will come later?
"We've had tremendous fun play-testing and realized the potential of a multiplayer focused title ahead of Tribes Universe. The community has been waiting for a multiplayer shooter that is the modern successor to T2. Tribes: Ascend is that game."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-11-hi-rez-studios-announces-tribes-ascend

Last edited:

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
Sadly.

I had expected a lot more out of GA when I dl'ed it. Talk about a bad joke.
Still, the video's got promise. Let's hope it stays that way.

Last edited: