[UT2004] The return of the Sniper Rifle

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Should Epic have bought the Sniper Rifle back to UT2004?

• Yes

Votes: 39 52.7%
  • No

Votes: 28 37.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 7 9.5%

• Total voters

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
UT is teh no balance.

Juguard said:
How was UT a unbalanced game? In that game you had to really learn the weapons, and have a little skill using them.

That theory worked really good for, oh, half the weapons. No balance there. If the ping dropped, so did the number of "balanced weapons". You had to be uber elite to play effectively and consistantly with the goo, and think you could compete with anything that was rapid fire hitscan. Razors were as well, very situational, and unlike the other weapons requiring "a little skill", would require you to have tremendous skill to compete against Rox, or even Flak.

Mini, Snipe, and due to a bug, Pulse were the only weapons in competative UT, Shock, and Rox for suppression, and the rest didn't exist (mind you, this is the DMer speaking). That is not balance.

Dunno where you were going with "In UT2003, almost with every weapon a person will be effective equally", but maybe that equal effectiveness is what "balance" is, and you are proving yourself wrong... What I do know, is that statement is really vague. :eek:

Relativity makes pronoun phrases like "a person" really inappropriate to pair with adjectives like "every". ;)

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
bah, goo arena!

I don't see the point in them bringing back the old weapon after they made the conscious choice to remove it .. unless it's some kinda specific onslaught/assault thing like the new Anti-vehicle rocket, with the proliferation of LtG whores already, putting in a weapon that fires at least 3x faster and is just as effective would be nails in 2k4's coffin already.

/2cents.

gramps

Mar 27, 2000
www.crookram.net
i'm with edhe. the LTG is way overpowered as it is, no need to unbalance things even more by giving hitscanners another edge. and to think a lot of people want the SG removed from CTF as well .... this community has gone nuts. :shake:

Gonna stick with my "I'll trust Epic" stance.
yeah, me too, i'll trust Epic to f*ck it up even more. ;)

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
The 'overpowered' nature of the LtG comes from it's ability to fire straight off from switching, if it had to charge before firing then it'd be practically useless for anything but a long range sniper weapon...

The shield gun... now that has to be one of the most ctf-style destroying inventions yet, people can run for ages with just that thing, no fighting skill - run in and run out and abuse that shield... but hey i just had a bad experience with that last night ;)

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I garuntee you that if you took out the shield gun that nobody in competative CTF matches would be able to cap the flag. BAD idea. but we're getting off topic.

The lightning gun is FAR from bein overpowered. Extreemly usefull yes, but because it requires so much skill to use, it evens it out. I am highly in favor of leaving any ballance to do with the lightning gun alone for now. The lightning gun comes AFTER the minigun the good gun and the plasma problems. Still this is WAY better than the ballance in UT by far. I just don't want to see all of that ruined by adding in a second sniper rifle or something stupid like that.

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
TWD said:
I garuntee you that if you took out the shield gun that nobody in competative CTF matches would be able to cap the flag.

Absolutley wrong.
At the beginnig, no one was using the shield gun, imo, the games was much more fun then.

If a flagrunner wanted to do a solorun, he had to fight hard to get out.
Else he had to rely to his own team to give him cover.

Orochi

It's Dr.Orochi now, M.D. woot!
BigFolks said:
SealClubber said:
- UT Classic - enforecer, goo, flak, ripper, mini, RL, shock, sniper, impact hammer, pulse
- UT2003/4 - shield gun, assult, goo, flak, mini, RL, shock, LG, pulse
QUOTE]
When you put it like that, it makes ut2k3 sound like a downgrade (ut99 having more weapons and all).
I read alot of the posts and most of them are sensless. Makes no sense to say the sniper was spammy. when somebody spams the
sniper, dodge a little more - or find that bastard and blow his head off.
If you think the gun has too high rate of fire, use a different gun. Too slow? use a different gun. Try and balance too many of
the weapons and the everyday noob can come in and actually get a frag! woohoo.
I never tried to use any of the weapons to their full extent in Unreal, the game is simply too old for my taste.
The sniper in Unreal- no idea (no comment)
The sniper in ut99- damn good gun. No complaints from me. Rate of fire was excelent but spamming is damn luck so i dare not try.
you could actually see most of your screen. The LG blurs the rest out. WHYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!?! i'd give the LG 3 thumbs down if i had
another!
LG is lightening high teched gun with 80%BLURRRR no sense!!! Try sniping with the LG and somebody standing beside you walks
clearly in your screen, blows your head off and you didn't even see them. If you had the SR you would have seen them and had time
to at least jump around dodge do whatever you have to do to kill the bastard like a true nonnoob. The dude who was probably a no0b
laughs and dies from the fall off the edge - stupid noob
Plus, the LG was a damn slow rate of fire gun that took forever to reload. I'm sure most of the people out there have heard this
enough but i must once again emphasize that.
UT2k3 is invaded by noobs because once you are smart enough to realize the game sucks, you stop playing it. Anybody you think is
definitely not a noob is probably a noob with a little luck.
Alas i have found my true love but every once in a while, the true noob stands in my way AGAIN. Ever heard of zoom instigib? yes
you have, it exists in every fast paced first person shooter. It has to. If not, somebody made and forgot to post it on the
internet. Some people ask me, why play ut2k3 then. Good question, i had no answer until now. because zoom instigib saves me. Why
do i say noobs get in my way? yes... sometimes they go spammy but who cares learn to dodge. Not that though, i'm talking about
people who get off about aimbots. aimbots really make me angry but do i sit there complain and tell whoever to stop or whoever to
fix the problem? no. i simply keep playing, or leave like a good little nonstupidgamer.
Alot of you critics piss me off and i'm going to stop posting on BUF. As for irc.enterthegame.blah/ or irc.nonprogamer.garbage that stupid channel
#beyondunreal - most of the people in there aren't even from the ut2k3/4 section so why do i care. i would just get banned again
for not having a stupid silver star. or even a pink pokedotted star.
This is my farewell. Take a good look at this and please, STFU!

STFUKTHNXBYE

Attachments

• wtf_lightning.jpg
    wtf_lightning.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 39

DeDpoet|BuF

Only this, & nothing more...
Dec 6, 2001
Mularn
Visit site
/me jumps into conversation

sure, a new sniper rifle would be fine imo. the LtG zoom has some bad visuals that dont help me out in the least. like Hal, I don't use the LtG zoom unless i'm screwing around or doing it for the fun of it. so it seems less like a sniper gun to me, as most people dont use it as a sniping weapon (i.e. long range)

ps - when i see a teammate running with the flag, I usually try and rally to him. of course, i'm not that much help ... i usually get fragged within seconds :lol:

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
DeDpoet|BuF said:
when i see a teammate running with the flag, I usually try and rally to him. of course, i'm not that much help ... i usually get fragged within seconds :lol:

Yeah, I'm right there with you on that. However, every shot you take is one less than the flag carrier takes, so you're still helping out.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
The shield is a pain because of the underpowered weapons in this game. I rarely hear about, or find the overpowered ones... ;)

The only reason I used the scope in UT was a 1.1 zoom for the cross it gave you. The scope isn't what makes it a long range weapon, but the fact that it's powerfull hitscan. usually, if I can see them to zoom in on them, I don't need too. If you zoom 'cause you can't see them, you've got time to stop, and that's camping. Camp sniping is too boring for me. Hence UT > CS.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
AEnubis - you call stopping on the run to line up a headshot through the scope camping?

Sorry, just asking for clarification, because I'm not sure what you meant by that.

Sekhmet

the Destroyer
Oct 16, 2001
Memphis, Egypt
www.carpeimperium.com
My LtG aim is ok.. but I hardly use the zoom. It can still be useful for long-range shots, like sniping on Citadel from one of the planets, or sniping snipers ;). I'm not very good with the zoom though, I hit far less with it because of the visual effects.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Sorry 'bout the bump...

*Digs through bookmarks and finds a reply link to a post I haven't gotten a mail about resonses for...*

Renegade Retard said:
AEnubis - you call stopping on the run to line up a headshot through the scope camping?

Sorry, just asking for clarification, because I'm not sure what you meant by that.

If you see the person first, no. If you stop and zoom with the intent to find somone, more then likely you are stopping in the range of 20 seconds, and that is camping. Hence my comment about "If I can see someone to zoom in on them, I don't need to."

The Unreal influenced $MP$ definition of camping:

If you can see any single wall (of the average indoor map) for 20 seconds or more, you are camping.

There's always exceptions, but that sums it up good in general.