Aida - Bítch or Lady?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tobler1

Aug 27, 2001
London, UK
www.geocities.com
I think she does look way too much like a sex object, going by the pic that Neonite posted inanother thread, which I wouldn't have looked at twice if it wasn't for him...
Anyway, I think that she should cover up or something, still be sexy, but dress for the occassion, i.e. all out war with the Skaarj....

Drevlin

Uno
May 12, 2001
Sweden
www.drevlin.nu
Okay im no U2 expert but here is a few things that come to my mind:
1) What do we know about Aida? Maybe she is a h0? And thats the other thing... Not that i hang in those communities much but i have NEVER seen a h0 look as good as Aida does and certainly not with such cool cloths.
2) Maybe she dresses like that cuz she wants people to think "oh look what a dumb bitch" and then she surprise them with overwhelming intelligence n stuff... Just a thought....
3) Who cares? Its legends game and they do what they want with it. I think its a rather dumb thread all together as, already stated, the gameing world is a sterio type kinda world.
4) I aint hearig ya'll whine over mr. Nukem's biceps?
5) I got nothing against good looking women in games, though i dont BUY such games just to glare at the girl. It's as that pic NeoNite (methinks) posted that "Unreal is a very pretty pretty thing" (or something... my memory is good but not very longterm :) ).

Bottom line, its up to legend and its a dumb thing to complain about

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
1. One fact that we know is that she's an officer on an interstellar police spaceship. As such I would have thought that it's appropriate to wear a uniform of some kind, not a night-club dress that is blatantly obviously designed to sell a few more copies to those gamers who got their brain in their pants. ;)

P.S.: I have seen h0s better lookin than Aida. A lot better. You couldn't tell by their dress that they were h0s though. ;)

2. I didn't say I blame Legend for making her stupid. I blame them for dressing her like a tart, and that point stands, no matter if her IQ is higher than Einstein's.

3. In the end everything is Legend/Epic's design decission. Does that mean that we are not allowed to comment if we think something is going the wrong direction? I don't think so. It's not dumb. It's in game companies' very own interest to get an early feedback how gamers think about their future games, so that they can make design changes if it become clear that the majority of people dislike something about the concept.

4. Scroll up and read ravenus' post. Indeed, I'm just as fed up with male stereotypes in games as I am with females.

5. Like I said: I got nothing against good looking women in games either. But good-lookin' and cheap-lookin' is two different things.

Bottom line is: Yes, it's up to Legend (who else?), but it's not dumb to tell them your concerns. :)

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
I am in complete agreement with Tetris's post.
Stereotypes are great fun in games that have enough tongue-in-cheek, like say DukeNukem3D/Shadow Warrior/Serious Sam.
But in a more serious adventure like what Unreal was and U2 promises to be, a more believable character always adds to the immersiveness, that's what it really is about.

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
pff, i don't really pay that much attention to stereotypes in games, i mean if the game is fun, good graphics, thats aok with me, with or without babes :p

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
jeeeeeeez! is there a lil too much being made of what aida is wearing? i think so...

let me clue ya in on a secret. part 1
women who like how they look tend to wear clothes that make them feel good and some of those women wear clothes that look like, guess what?
what aidas wearin! :)

translation, confident, self assured, intelligent goodlookin ladies (usually) like to wear clothes that show they feel good about themselves...
if its a business suit, leather thong, elvira goth or clown costume doesnt matter...

heres part two of the secret, ya know (part of the reason) why?
cause it makes you (men) uncomfortable and easier to deal with ;)

seeya on the atlantis in full leather! :tup: :)

p.s. the idea that a woman is a 'bitch or 'ho' cause she wears certain clothes is the stereotype, not the person wearing them...
there are plenty of grrls (and guys) who dress a certain way cause they want to, not cause they are 'something'...

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
Originally posted by NYGrrrl
p.s. the idea that a woman is a 'bitch or 'ho' cause she wears certain clothes is the stereotype, not the person wearing them...
there are plenty of grrls (and guys) who dress a certain way cause they want to, not cause they are 'something'...

Applause.
Listen to the lady, boys. :)

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
AAAAAAAAAARG AAAAAAAAAAARG ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRG AAAAAAAAAARG AAAAARRRRRG I HAVE HAD IT WITH THIS NONSENSE CUT IT OUT!

For crying out loud Tetris, what's bugging you? So I've posted this pic here on Buf? Will it mess up your life, make you sleep bad at night????

:confused:

gramps

Mar 27, 2000
www.crookram.net
besides, this is a fictional character you're ranting about here. it's not as if she's your mother or something. :rolleyes: naturally Legend would make her a hot babe rather than a shy, boring lady. i don't see why they should give her more clothing. it won't matter for the story, which for some reason seems to be very important now.

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
For crying out loud Tetris, what's bugging you? So I've posted this pic here on Buf? Will it mess up your life, make you sleep bad at night????

I don't think Tetris ever made it sound like that, look who's over-reacting.

besides, this is a fictional character you're ranting about here. it's not as if she's your mother or something

True, but a deviation from an overdone stereotype makes a fictional character more interesting and easier to get immersed in the gameworld. Besides one wouldn't be calmly discussing on a forum if it was about one's mother.

. the idea that a woman is a 'bitch or 'ho' cause she wears certain clothes is the stereotype, not the person wearing them...

I agree, a final opinion on Aida is only possible wih the release of U2, but that doesn't mean speculation can't be made. After all so many other speculations and whines have been made (read shock rfle junkies).

Drevlin

Uno
May 12, 2001
Sweden
www.drevlin.nu
I think Swedix said what i wanted to say only he said it shorter and better. NAmely "cant you look at girls wirthout thinking about sex"

THAT was my point... and alot of other things

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
Strange how if a female character is added with very few clothes, a load of people bitch, yet if a male character is added with few clothes, no-one gives a damn :)

Major-Lee-High

Im a ranter, ignore me!
Jun 27, 2000
The Dark Tower
www.modcentral.us
10-251-882-929-X.jpg

LMFAO!

Now if this is what she looks like i may see a point..... is that a real pic?

Anyway, i really think that puttin her in a huge space suit thing would have been ridiculous! It would have been a weak attempt to make a male model look female!

Now That :rolleyes: is a good way to let us now they tried to make a good female model like we all wanted!

Kail

mapper, designer and unreal fan
Feb 3, 2001
Sweden
Visit site
Essentially it's not about her clothing it's about realism. How many female leaders dress like strip club dancers? She'd rather dress in military fashion since sexiness lies in more aspects than the actual number of square inches of bare skin a person is showing. What I'd like to see is a smart and mentally strong Aida who impresses by her brains, not her body.
An excellent example of a strong female leader in contemporary fiction is Captain Janeway in Star Trek: Voyager. It's a great character and I don't think you need a middle-age actress, or in this case voice, to make such a role believable.

Anyway, I want a realistic and believable game not some semi serious crap. Well, I like that too sometimes, I liked Serious Sam, but *not* in the Unreal Universe.

Get to read some real science fiction and you'll see what I mean. Female leaders in books haven't made their way to the top by going "the bed way". They have talent and brains, and I really hope Aida will have that as well...or I'll be very disappointed in the game designers.

Status
Not open for further replies.