Basic IRC question -- I'm At my wit's end.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Ok, this is a real simple question, and I'm sure the answer is painfully obvious.

I can't seem to join any irc channels. Not just #planetunreal, but *anything*. Could I be connecting to the wrong server? I've tried various default channels, as well as the /join command. Whenever I type, I get a "### not in channel!" message.

Thoughts?

Wolf Blackstar

That other Wing Commander guy
Dec 13, 1999
Tau Ceti V
www.angelfire.com
Ummmm.... not to insult you, but have you connected first? You are on irc.gameslink.net, right?

Just hit the little "connect" button, gameslink is the default connection.

bullet2.gif

-Wolf Blackstar

"A chainsaw! find some meat!"
PuF: Bring on the pain!

Thor's Hammer

Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
ME TOO!!!! I just tried to set up my 1v1 match with Thrasher and I have the same problem. It says irc.gameslink and #planetunreal but all I get is ***not in a channel! AARRGGHHH!!

bullet2.gif

"Nobody sees the Wizard! Not nobody, not no how!"

Thor's Hammer

Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
Hey Smallberries. I posted a similar thread in troubleshooting. I am waiting for an answer. If I find anything out, I will let you know. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

bullet2.gif

Otter

Feb 8, 2000
www.splatts.com
After you have connected (if using the UT chat) your see a box with a drop down with channels such as #utmods etc you can either high light one of those and join it or highlight it/ backspace/ type in #planetunreal (dont forget the #)
if already on a server type /join #planetunreal this can be typed in a room or not.

the command to join any channel is /join

hope this makes sense and helps

Woop

Thor's Hammer

Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
Got a reply from Rooster on my problem. He said the apostrophe in my name is giving IRC indigestion. Maybe the period in your name does the same thing. ???

bullet2.gif

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
it is very picky about names, I used to have a 0 in my name but I had to switch to O instead. Also I can never connect to a channel unless I have a default channel it joins automatcially upon connect. Though this is within UT I dunno if you guys are using MIRC.

bullet2.gif

0shadow0
Rantings of a suicidal maniac.
http://members.tripod.com/~fazal_k

H

Haades`FW

Yep, my friend has the same problem

He was using 'FW for clan tag, and he couldn't get in any channels, on get private message

the prob was the '

Watchout when using unusual character. You must change it in player setup, not only do /nick in IRC.

I do know ` to work (same key than the console on english keyb, but you you don't press shift)

Haades`FW