JB-EpicBoy2k4

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

4WD

globle
Sep 6, 2004
belgium
beta4:
-back to old textures
-added lifts (copied from jb-castlebreak, thx to spoondog)
-switches back to initial place

textures needs to be revised, especially the lifts looks ugly atm ;)

Last edited:

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
The lifts are good -- though I think you should retexture them so they fit better with the rest of the map. You could also make a gap in the edge trim near the jail where the lift arrives.

Try typing "rmode 2" at the console when playing. You'll see there's a lot of complex BSP that could be made into meshes, like GLecter says. The turret things high up on the walls around the courtyard are another example. The steps in the courtyard too.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
In addition to the other suggestions:
- Ehm... the jails don't work in this beta... :eek:
- Back to old textures... :( I can change them again and upload another beta if you want... ;)
- The lifts are really too small, there should be wider IMO, that would make more than one people take it at the same time... Set them Mover -> bDynamicLightMover = True to fix the brightness problem...
- The 100shield is nearly impossible to take (without translocator)...

4WD

globle
Sep 6, 2004
belgium
i've already changed the textures & converted most brushes to static meshes. the supershield is easy to take with a shieldgun-jump from the shockrifle-location. i like the lifts being that small tbh. ty 4 the tip with the lightning (wasnt mentioned anywhere on that architectonic webpage). jails works here (?) nvm gonna hve a look into it.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
No, the jails DO work, it was my fault, I had an ONS mutator active and that was causing the problem...
For the supershields you could change the ceilings a bit to make possible taking them doing a liftjump... ;)

4WD

globle
Sep 6, 2004
belgium
added arena, convertet some bsp to static meshes, changed textures, changed execution (no u cant survive, even when u shoot the redeemers down ;) )

this will look pretty much like the final version when i manage to fix the lightning on those static meshes (any ideas how to ? g.lecter ? ;) )

missing: cameras, loadingscreen, minimap & some other minor stuff.

ps: does someone know howto teach bots doing a liftjump 4 reaching the powerfull weapons in the arena ?

Last edited:

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Advanced Botpathing:
http://blitz.unrealplayground.com/tutorials/bots.html

Will check the lighting now

edit:
Lighting looks good, couldn't see any problems with it. A couple of things though:
Shot00049.jpg

I see you have turned some bsp into a mesh here, the mesh is now the same size as the underlying bsp and it keeps disapearing, scale it up slightly along the correct axis and it will be fixed.

Shot00050.jpg

I still think for gameplay reasons the switch would be better where the shock is atm. If you took the lower main route into the base you would be faced with the decision of taking the lift or shieldjumping up the wall. Its up to you though.

Last edited:

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
I like the switches as they are now, you have more ways to attack, and taking them would be even more difficult at the shock place, I think the bases are defendeable enough now...
- For the liftjumps: Add a liftexit where you want the bots to jump to, and set LiftJump -> bLiftJumpExit = True, it's well covered in the tutorial that The_Head has linked... :) You also can add in the map a liftjump to the ShockRifle and another one to the 100shield if you remove the wooden bar from there... ;)
- I'm not sure about why the support meshes look so blue. Try lowering their Display -> ScaleGlow value...
- Lol a deemer for execution? It's not bad but I think you can do something better... ;)
- I still think moving some health to the middle, connecting Amp and Flak rooms, replacing the other Flak by another weapon and adding another lift where the Link is would be better. :(
- Weaponbases in the arena have a wrong texture, select them one by one and set Display -> Skins -> Empty. The weaponbase in the middle has not any weapon... :con:
- All the AssaultPath actors have wrong tags in AssaultPath -> ObjectiveTag. Change them to redreleaseswitch and bluereleaseswitch...

Last edited:
May 12, 2005

This is the mesh fighting, i dunno why that colmn is there, delete it?

Blocking Volumes...

Again...

Another one.

Theres a hole in this bsp? what the. its wierd can u fix it please.

by the way this is gonna be a cool jb map.

Vatcilli zeitchef

Dead and back
May 16, 2005
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
I'm going to test it but please
DO NOT ZIP YOUR YOUR MAPS IN THREE SUBDIRECTORIES!

(Beta5/beta5/JB-Epicboy2k4-beta5)

_____EDIT_____

Ok I looked arround in the editor first and found some things here:

1: You indeed seem to have a mesh problem her which looks horrible.
You should either take them a bit in front of the wall instead of in it,
Convert it to bsp or completely remove it.
2: I don't really like this texture it does not fit here that well. If you insist on using it anyway please don't unlit it or at least make it visible that light comes from it.
3: The window's light on the floor does not seem to fit with the ammount of light comming from up there, Either the floor seems too bright or the hole in the roof is too dark.

___Yet annother edit____
After playing I found:
No bugs found in bot pathing but there is something with the sounds.
They are way too many. Now this would not be a problem if there were more different ones but there seems to be only one. the elevators don't make any sound at all. I don't need to mention the loading screen for you mentioned that yourself. And the blocking volumes has been spoken of too.

Attachments

• Shot1.jpg
    Shot1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Shot2.jpg
    Shot2.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Shot3.jpg
    Shot3.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
I really think you should try adding a 3rd lift from the link gun up to the walkway. You'll need to create a lift shaft & make an archway from the platform, but I think it'll help the flow on that side of the map.

CoolDude

Feb 22, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
I finally got raound to check this one out.
It always was one of the maps I liked to play in JBIII.
And that probably is where my problem lies.

I keep compare it with the old JB-EpicBoy for JBIII, and I notice things like:
- the lift shouldn't be there
- the release buttons should be centered
- the lamp is in the way when jumping down to the switch
- the rocket launcher / shock riffle are in another place
- there should be a shield here
- there should be jumpboots here
- the reedemer should not be there.

Zed in his Classic Map tried to stay as close to the original as possible.
I don't say it is wrong to try something new, but the old JBIII map just keeps playing around in my head when I play this one.

I also wanted to post a screenshot of the meshes/brushes at the entrance, but then this was mentioned already a couple of times.

Last edited:

Vatcilli zeitchef

Dead and back
May 16, 2005
tarquin said:
I really think you should try adding a 3rd lift from the link gun up to the walkway. You'll need to create a lift shaft & make an archway from the platform, but I think it'll help the flow on that side of the map.

A good idea, but won't that break with the original EpicBoy 99?

Last edited:

Vatcilli zeitchef

Dead and back
May 16, 2005
Hey 4WD how's da map doing?
It's looking good but not finshed yet......... Is it?
And please think of something more special than just flying deemers.
Windows logos maybe:lol: (JB-Nifam UT1)
And for those DM-Albatross textures can'ya replace them with
the origional angel textures as is done in DM-Agony2k4?

-=DARCHANGEL=-

Burning in Hell and loving it!
The_Head said:
Welcome back D, long time no see.
Will have to drop by your server some time :tup:
Cheers m8 - It works and I got my butt kicked by 4WD (as usual) although it shows N/A on the ping - it wavers around the 30 - 50 mark...

Anyway, back on topic - Gave EpicBoyBeta 5 a damn good blasting today over 3 hours worth and found only one thing that crops up often. Some of the statics 'clip' (is that the right word - been out of touch) where they join to other statics and on occasions they turn pure black.

I had 4 on and all had the same thing - it doesn't ruin gameplay, just irritates the eye, but a big :tup: to 4WD for such a georgous map and the work he has put into it.

I like positive criticism :D

4WD

globle
Sep 6, 2004
belgium
map finished. no 3rd lift, hve tested it & didnt like the result at all. didnt know there was a jb version in ut99 of this map. & that's the reason why it wasnt meant to be a classic remake.

anyway ty all 4 ur great help. was my 1rst real try to play around with UED (after andaction lol), & i'm quite happy of the result.

ps: if someone could host the file somewhere plz ? would be very grateful ! my webspace is very limited in terms of space & bandwith usage per month.

-=DARCHANGEL=-

Burning in Hell and loving it!
4WD said:
map finished. no 3rd lift, hve tested it & didnt like the result at all. didnt know there was a jb version in ut99 of this map. & that's the reason why it wasnt meant to be a classic remake.

anyway ty all 4 ur great help. was my 1rst real try to play around with UED (after andaction lol), & i'm quite happy of the result.

ps: if someone could host the file somewhere plz ? would be very grateful ! my webspace is very limited in terms of space & bandwith usage per month.
I hope you don't mind mate, but I put the final map on the redirect site too to help with the downloads client-side.

I love this map and I want you to have my babies :D. I hope you and 'H' keep up to the standard you are showing signs of - just wish I could get my butt into gear, but now I have to learn all over again.

@ 'H' - can I call on ya for some help if needed and I get back into the mapping? Oh! and ask 4WD what my ping on his server was - :D <smug mode off>

Last edited: