UT2004: Best Multiplayer 2004

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Unreal Tournament 2004 takes home the Best Multiplayer Game award in IGN's Best of 2004 Awards, beating out the likes of Half-Life 2, Far Cry, Tribes: Vengeance, and DOOM 3. Read up and see why it was chosen. (Thanks, rajput_warrior)
Almost every sector of PC gaming showed that it is still the forefront of technology and innovation... All of these winners are very deserving of their awards. It was a tough field this year so to come out on top means it had to be excellent and in some cases, near perfect.

B

BoDuke

I guess it helps to have former employees who worked on UT2003-4 to be staff members of Gamespy(and IGN), because otherwise UT2004 would not even be a nominee. Pretty funny though , but it doesn't say much for gamespy's credibility, especially when you consider that UT2004 has mostly bots online and gamespy counts them in their statistics, making it seem like the game has lots of players when the opposite is true :lol: . It's an ok game but it is not multiplayer game of the year, nor should it even be considered a nominee for game of the year.

A

AdZy

Nice work epic,u guys totally derserve it! keep it up ;)

Thanks!

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
BoDuke said:
I guess it helps to have former employees who worked on UT2003-4 to be staff members of Gamespy(and IGN), because otherwise UT2004 would not even be a nominee. Pretty funny though , but it doesn't say much for gamespy's credibility, especially when you consider that UT2004 has mostly bots online and gamespy counts them in their statistics, making it seem like the game has lots of players when the opposite is true :lol: . It's an ok game but it is not multiplayer game of the year, nor should it even be considered a nominee for game of the year.

So.... who are these "staff members"?

And my understanding about bots is that Gamespy only counts bots on servers where there is at least one human player.

You sound like you have an agenda, mr. guest. :)

S

sp lit

Moron

BoDuke said:
If you don't think it to be one of the games of the year then why are you posting on an unrea related news sites where i would say 90% of the news is regarding UT2004 user made mods/maps etc. The only reason to visit this site (really) is to find out about what awesome free stuff you can download, and if you don't like the game that much why come here because you obviously don't want the free content? Moron.

naliking

Dec 29, 2003
sp lit said:
if you don't like the game that much why come here because you obviously don't want the free content? Moron.
Wow. Unreal fanboys attacking someone who does not share their views. But he is probably representative of the majority of gamers. :rolleyes:

hal said:
And my understanding about bots is that Gamespy only counts bots on servers where there is at least one human player.
That's true and that can very easily create a situation where bots outnumber players 3 to 1. I don't want to sound like a broken record but I can definitely confirm that UT2004 often has far more bots online than players. UT99 and its mods, often has more players than UT2004. UT2004 usually has under 2000 players and sits in 10th-15th place, yet Gamespy often shows it in 2nd, 3rd and 4th place with over 6000 players. If you want stats that are more reliable try www.csports.net which claims to removes some of the bots.

I don't trust sites like Gamespot or Gamespy etc... when it comes to reviews or awards because they are not consistent and seem to be swayed by game publishers incentives. Halo2 is a perfect example of this :)

Popularity is no indication of quality, but when you consider that CounterStrike Source has over 30,000 players sometimes, and has only been out a couple months....That game (which is Half-Life2's mp) should at least get a nomination for multiplayer :lol: .
Instead we have Gamespy which is finally admitting that UT2003 was dissappointing yet somehow UT2004 which is 90% exactly the same as UT2003, is now a contender for Game of the Year even though it has had a huge drop off in player numbers in less than 6 months! Does not seem plausible....

Deep Qantas

Apr 19, 2004
GameSpy's Mod of the Year?

Alien Swarm
site.gif
wildcat.gif
faith.gif
crash.gif

Watch out, Red Orchestra ;)

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
naliking said:
Wow. Unreal fanboys attacking someone who does not share their views. But he is probably representative of the majority of gamers. :rolleyes:

That's true and that can very easily create a situation where bots outnumber players 3 to 1. I don't want to sound like a broken record but I can definitely confirm that UT2004 often has far more bots online than players. UT99 and its mods, often has more players than UT2004. UT2004 usually has under 2000 players and sits in 10th-15th place, yet Gamespy often shows it in 2nd, 3rd and 4th place with over 6000 players. If you want stats that are more reliable try www.csports.net which claims to removes some of the bots.

I don't trust sites like Gamespot or Gamespy etc... when it comes to reviews or awards because they are not consistent and seem to be swayed by game publishers incentives. Halo2 is a perfect example of this :)

Popularity is no indication of quality, but when you consider that CounterStrike Source has over 30,000 players sometimes, and has only been out a couple months....That game (which is Half-Life2's mp) should at least get a nomination for multiplayer :lol: .
Instead we have Gamespy which is finally admitting that UT2003 was dissappointing yet somehow UT2004 which is 90% exactly the same as UT2003, is now a contender for Game of the Year even though it has had a huge drop off in player numbers in less than 6 months! Does not seem plausible....

Okay, let's look at CSports numbers. Right this moment, UT2004 is number 12 with UT at number 14. More important is the Names in 31 Days column, showing UT2004 in the number 10 spot and UT in the number 11 spot.

You simply can't compare games like Counter Strike to the Unreal series. It doesn't compete for the same type of player. They are only similar in that they are multiplayer first person shooters.

Now let's look at poor HL2 (yes, it DOES have a mp game that is NOT CS). It sits in 13th place, yet it was just released. How about Counter Strike Source... which is shown as a subsidiary of CS? Well, the new software is being played 4 or 5 times LESS than it's older sibling. Why do you think that is? Hardly sounds like it's overwhelmingly better in any way than UT2004.

Instead of getting in a pissing match between UT and UT2004... why can't we all just enjoy whatever we enjoy and stfu? Where is the joy in coming to an Unreal series site and bashing the newest game in the series because you happen to like the older one better?

I loved UT. I love this game. They are different and I am ok with that. So are an equal or greater number of Unreal fans. Let's end this e-penis contest between the two games because it's just tiresome.

Israphel

Sim senhor, efeitos especial
Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
Well said Hal!

(although I somehow doubt it will make much difference...Nailking doesn't seem to accept that people like different stuff to him...I can't believe how much time he spends trolling around this site waiting to tell everyone how wrong they are in liking what they like..it's rather sad).

naliking

Dec 29, 2003
hal said:
Okay, let's look at CSports numbers. Right this moment, UT2004 is number 12 with UT at number 14. More important is the Names in 31 Days column, showing UT2004 in the number 10 spot and UT in the number 11 spot.

You simply can't compare games like Counter Strike to the Unreal series. It doesn't compete for the same type of player. They are only similar in that they are multiplayer first person shooters.

Now let's look at poor HL2 (yes, it DOES have a mp game that is NOT CS). It sits in 13th place, yet it was just released. How about Counter Strike Source... which is shown as a subsidiary of CS? Well, the new software is being played 4 or 5 times LESS than it's older sibling. Why do you think that is? Hardly sounds like it's overwhelmingly better in any way than UT2004.

Instead of getting in a pissing match between UT and UT2004... why can't we all just enjoy whatever we enjoy and stfu? Where is the joy in coming to an Unreal series site and bashing the newest game in the series because you happen to like the older one better?

I loved UT. I love this game. They are different and I am ok with that. So are an equal or greater number of Unreal fans. Let's end this e-penis contest between the two games because it's just tiresome.

Ok ,but remember Csports does not eliminate all bots and Csports separates UT99 from its mod tactical ops. With tactical Ops UT99 very often has more players :)

As for CounterStrike Source ,well let's just agree that it is the fastet growing First Person Shooter in history. Over 30,000 players on at one time in less than 2 months. That is remarkable. I doubt it will surpass the original CounterStrike because Valve will be releasing Team Fortress2 in a month or two and then probably release CounterStrike2 a year later. Otherwise CounterStrike Source would definitely surpass CounterStrike within 1 year, and this proves that system requirements are not the reason why UT2004 has done poorly in attracting players.

ISraphel, I'm not trolling. I responded to this thread because someone made a valid claim questioning the suspect nature of UT2004 being nominated for game of the year/multiplayer of the year, and he was attacked by Unreal Fanboys who apparently don't see the absurdity of this nomination :lol:

Euphoric Beaver

impeccably groomed
Apr 19, 2001
Great Britain
www.euphoric-beaver.me.uk
naliking said:
Ok ,but remember Csports does not eliminate all bots and Csports separates UT99 from its mod tactical ops. With tactical Ops UT99 very often has more players :)

How do you know it doesn't eliminate all bots?

Btw Tactical Ops is a stand alone game not a mod hence separated with good reason, so with this in mind UT2k4 very often has more players then UT. :)

Israphel

Sim senhor, efeitos especial
Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
Naliking..can you (or your friend who has a suspiciously similar writing style to you) tell me why UT2004 should not have been nominated.

The fact that you don't like it isn't reason enough.

You love Csports right? So lets have a look at Csports. Now right now, at this moment, UT2k4 is the most popular game online of any released in 2004. Your beloved HL2 (which I own, and it's a damn fine game I accept), is less popular online that UT2k4. CS is a mod that comes with HL, so you can include that in HL2 if you want to stretch your point...but even so..looking at all the games that were released this year, almost none of them are more popular than than UT2k4. Doom3, Star Wars Battlefront, Tribes Vengeance etc etc.

Taking that into account, only a blind man with a passionate hatred for UT2k4 and some personal bias against it because he prefers the original UT, would say that it doesn't deserve a nomination.

I don't find it strange at all that it won multiplayer of the year...as I've said above, it's certainly the most popular stand alone online game released this year. CS is a mod.

As for game of the year, in terms of single player, then I accept that HL2 had by far the best single player of any game I've seen, and technically, pushed back the limits of video games. But personally, no matter how good a single player game is, I rarely play it through more than twice, and HL2s multi-player, you have to admit, is a one trick pony. Like many people, I judge how good a game is by how long I play it and how much fun I get out of it...And on this criteria, UT2k4 is more enjoyable than HL2 (which I rarely play anymore)
However, I accept that many people are into counter terrorism type games, thus the popularity online of CS. Personally, I don't like it.

You seem to obssessed with telling everyone how much of a failure UT2k4 is...I wonder how you define success. The games I mentioned above that came out this year have all been less successful than UT2004...so by your standards, apart from HL2, there hasn't been a successful game released this year.

You harp on about how UT has more players than UT2k4..whcich it actually doesn't according to your stats again, but neglect to mention that for most MP games (MoH, CoD, BF, CS, HL, Tribes) this almost ALWAYS happens..the originals are more popular than the sequals. In that light, UT2k4, along with Quake, is exceptional in that its later version is played more than it's original. Yet you still seem determined to label it a flop.

And when these things are pointed out to you by hal, you suddenly start to criticise the very same stats that you previously held up to prove your point. Strange no?

No doubt you'll reply and call me a fan boy...a word you so love to use. U think you define a fan boy as someone who likes a game and is willing to say so. Personally, my definition of a fan by (in the derogatory way you seem to use it) is of someone who is blind to everything else except the game he loves, and will even go onto the sites of other games that he doesn't like to tell people that they are wrong in not liking the game that they are so passionate about.

Ask me about HL2 and I'll tell you its awesome.
Ask me if its the best SP game I've ever seen, and I'll say yes.
Ask me if I play it as much as UT, I'll say no.
Tell people that it is better than UT and come onto a UT gamers site saying UT shouldn't be nominated for best game of the year with no real statisical proof, only your own personal opinion (not even backed up by the very stats you seem so keen to shove down everyone's throat), and I'll tell you that i think you are wrong.

And I guess this makes me a fanboy.

Find a game you like, and go an play it. Let other people play the games they like, and leave them alone. is that really so difficult for you? What is your agenda?

naliking

Dec 29, 2003
Israphel said:
I just checked Csports.net and UT99 + tactical Ops, has more players than UT2004 with all its mods.
There are a couple of FPS that came out in 2004 that have more players than UT2004 such as Battlefield Vietnam and Call Of Duty United Offensive. If you go by popularity UT2004 is probably dwarfed by single player games if you believe the NPD sales figures. Half-Life 2's multiplayer is counterStrike Source because that is what shipped with the game - not HL2DM. Valve is busy finishing up their multiplayer game Team Fortress2 so why would they waist time on a Half-Life2 multiplayer which might hurt their sales of their multiplayer focused game? CounterStrike Source is the 2nd most played First person shooter on the net, for better or for worse.

You claim I'm trolling when I point out facts. You don't seem to have a problem when people make false claims as to UT2004's greatness, but when someone points out the facts they are labeled as trolls. If someone makes a false claim, would you rather see it accepted as truth because it makes the game look good? Pretty much every negative post I have made about UT200* has been in response to false claims made about the game. That is NOT trolling. That is called responding and setting the record straight ;)

Ironically you cannot call me a UT hater since I like UT99 :D. If people don't want me posting here, then they should not make false claims about the game. It's bad enough that Gamespy shows UT2004 in 4th place when it should be in 12th.

UT2004 is not game of the year material because A)It has a horrible single player campaign if you can even call it that. B) Graphics are average, C)Gameplay is not fun if you judge it by the huge massess of people that have abandoned the game in such a short amount of time. D) 90% of UT2004 is exactly like UT2003 which was a flop. E) UT2004's newest game mode is just a variation of game modes done in other games. E) UT2004 is populated mostly by bots and for an online game that is a disaster. F) There are games more deserving to be nominated as game of the Year. Perhaps the argument can be made it deserved a multiplayer of the Year nomination since very few good multiplayer games were released, however it is not multiplayer of the year.

Ciced, a while back someone who worked a Csport said they were still working on weeding out all the bots and if you check the gametypes by breakdown often the number of players are less when you total the players by gametype category, plus you can count them by hand...

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
naliking said:
Valve will be releasing Team Fortress2 in a month or two

lol where do you get your information from, that is completely bogus. They still have to finish Day of Defeat, a mod that thousands of us paid for and still don't have.