DM-Echo Released

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Joe Swinback emailed us to let us know that he's released a new UT2004 map titled DM-Echo for Unreal Tournament 2004.

The map features clean lines like his previous work, and you definitely won't be able to say that there is too much ammo in the map. You'll have to work for it. The level preview screen suggests 2 to 4 players, though 2 might be just right.

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
Small review:

It has very repetitive textures, and mostly ambient lighting. The layout is fun I suppose, lots of z-axis fighting.

I have no idea why the author left out the jump pad sounds. Apparently it's because of "gameplay reasons", also there are no emitters at the base of the pads. :con:

The thing that I really don't like is the inclusion of two 50a pickups, instead of the usual 100a and 50a. So it isn't very hard to gain control of this map, since there isn't really much to control to be honest.

Framerates were good, but that's expected of map that is mainly made of bsp. More detail wouldn't have hurt much.

So, all in all it's an easily forgetable map that could have been much better. Beta testing would have helped a lot, as a lot of the problems could have been ironed out before release.

I give it a 5/10.

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Nice-looking map with some cool Z-axis play plagued by quite a few problems. The BSP is in dire need of a rebuild and the blindingly-white sky needs to be dealt with. Might I suggest a nighttime scene like DM-CBP2-Archipelago? If the weapons were rearranged and a 100a included, this could be a nice little duel map, but right now there are too many problems. The jumppads NEED to have sound on them because 1v1 is all about prediction, and having zero audio clues in your map is a BAD idea.

Maybe I'll rebuild the map and rearrange the stuff for -36 and I to duel on... :p