Level Screenshot is all grainy?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

CousCous

Hysteric
Mar 20, 2001
Chicago
Visit site
My level screenshot looks decent in the texture browser, but whenever it's viewed in game, it looks all grainy and crappy compared to the rest of the screenshots. I reduced the screenshot with psp7 and I can't figure out how to make it look good. Any help?

Qbic

The horrors...
Apr 15, 2001
Norway
Visit site
For some reason the screenshot always looks grainier in-game than in the texture browser. I don't think anybody will notice, I didn't until I took a closer look. You could try some palette manipulation, I don't know how this is done in PSP though.

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
Try deleting it and reimporting it. Did you make sure its 16 bit bmp?(256 colours I think) PLus theres a checkbox when you're importing the shot in that must not be checked.

CousCous

Hysteric
Mar 20, 2001
Chicago
Visit site
Okay, none of these things worked...I imported the texture without the 'generate mipmaps' box checked and I tried importing it as .pcx...no luck. It's not really that big of a deal, it's just that I'd hate it if the first image that people see of my map is inferior to all the other screenshots...looks pretty amateurish. And don't get me wrong, I'm a total amateur, I just don't want it to be obvious... ;)

[IMD1]KillRoy

Suck my boomstick!
I think it has to do with the program you use to make the screenshots.

If you change it from 24-bit colour to 8-bit colour. If you do it you must choose 8-bit with an optimized pallete. I think psp7 does it in 8-bit unifrom format (see the two pics and the difference)

I dont know of a good free paint program that does this, but I use CorelDraw 9, Adobe also works very well.

screenshotbad.jpg
screenshotgood.jpg