Please Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

kowalski

Mar 24, 2000
Scotland
Visit site
Please help me some1!!!!!!!

I cant get Unreal to run at all. When i try to start the game, it crashes an gives me an error message usaully of the 'General Protection Fault' or 'Assertion Failed' type.
The furthest i've got is, is picking your character then, when i try to begin the game, it crashes.

In total there are at least 5 different error messages that i get!

I've tried lots of things, but none of them have been successful. I have all the latest drivers for my hardware. I have checked using DirectX diagnostic tool, the only thing it comes up with is that my Soundcard drivers aren't certified.

My hardware is as follows:
AMD K6-2 333Mhz
Gigabyte GA-5SG100 mainboard
STB Velocity 4400 16mb TNT
128mb Ram
SoundBlaster PCI64
8Gb hard drive
56k modem (ISA)

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. If necessary i could mail screen dumps of error messages.

Thar T'Pak [=AA=]

Mar 2, 2000
Urbandale, IA USA
Have you tried going into safe mode?

bullet2.gif

Games....Must....have.....more.....games.....

=AA='s Offensive co-captain, heavy duty flag capper and part time male stripper

The HIVE - the ONLY Place to go for Gaming schtuff -http://www.hivenetwork.com
The Blast Pit - Birthplace of the Alien Armada =AA=

kowalski

Mar 24, 2000
Scotland
Visit site
Yes i have, but it can be tempremental aswell, it usualy runs ok - so i am led to think that it could be a possible sound card compatability issue as SafeMode runs without sound?

kowalski

Mar 24, 2000
Scotland
Visit site
Cheers, i'll try that, but my install of windowsis not that old so i dont know if that'll work. I was told that dodgy memory could be to blame, but i think it could be a compatability problem between my soundcard and rest of system?

kowalski

Mar 24, 2000
Scotland
Visit site
yeah, i've got all the latest drivers from the manufacturers. The only thing, as i said before, is that the SoundBlaster driver isn't Microsoft DirectX certified.
Would this make such a drastic difference???

I thought about a motherboard bios update - i'm willing to try anything! It seems that there is nothing that'll get it to work /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif

I did hear that u can get a OpenGL wrapper for Glide though and i thought about trying that.

Having the driver certified doesn't really make much of a difference.

If you haven't tried using the new 5.08 detonator drivers, I'd suggest those, even though they're beta, or maybe the 3.68 ones.

Also, yeah, if there's a BIOS update available, do it. It's not as drastica measure as you'd think, and updating the BIOS can help solve lots of weird compatibility issues.

Don't mess with any of those wrappers. They're useful, but a lot of them put useless overhead on your system that can slow down performance. I wouldn't recommend using them at all.

bullet2.gif

I *AM* The Little Zen Companion!

kowalski

Mar 24, 2000
Scotland
Visit site
thanx for the help. I'll get the bios update asap.
I'll try those new detonator drivers aswell.
thanx again - its much appreciated /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

kowalski

Mar 24, 2000
Scotland
Visit site
cheers again for all your help! /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif
hopefully that'll get it sorted and i can actualy play the dang game!!!!!

thanx /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

kowalski

Mar 24, 2000
Scotland
Visit site
aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...........well guess what! it still doesn't work /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif sob sob
i'm actualy pulling my hair out.

The detonator drivers didn't make a difference and there doesn't seem to be abios update for my motherboard, although i did notice something rather strange going on.
I have a gigabyte GA-5SG100 motherboard, but on boot up, it says that its a GA-586SG motherboard! what the hell?????

i'm convinced that there's some sort of conflict going on, either in software or hardware.

I read tonight that Visual Basic runtime files could affect UnrealEditor to the point that it wouldn't load or it was caused to crash - perhaps i have a similar problem as i do have VB6 Proffessional edition installed on my machine.

I just dont know whats left to try /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif

Casper

Mar 26, 2000
Portland, OR
Visit site
I got a lot of errors too, including that assertion error. Evidently on some CDROMS the install reads a lot of copy protection intentional errors (grr. $#@$ copy prot!). How I got it to work was copying the whole CD to my hard drive and installing off that. Worked perfect.

Hope this helps.

VB could be causing an issue, but if you have 225f of unreal, I wouldn't think so.

Your motherboard, however, well, that does sound like a problem. If the board is one thing but the BIOS identifies it as another, you might want to get in touch with gigabyte's technical support, it could be a BIOS problem or something like that - they would know how to fix it.

Sorry I couldn't give you better news on that one.

bullet2.gif

I *AM* The Little Zen Companion!

kowalski

Mar 24, 2000
Scotland
Visit site
Thanx Casper, i'll give it ago and get back to u. sounds like it might just work

i think i will also try to contact gigabyte over this one, but i think that might be a dead end anyway cause its a discontinued model? /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif

thanx once again guys

kowalski

Mar 24, 2000
Scotland
Visit site
thats it, i'm gonna give up. /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif

Thanx casper for the idea of copying the CD to hard disk first but it hasn't solved the problem. It actualy did start up fine but when i tried to change the resolution it crashed with an error message - which ahs always been the case if it didn't crash on loading

[BuF]Wacky

Mar 24, 2000
Glasgow, UK
imperialconflict.iscool.net
You know, if you are really desperate to get UT running you could just try wiping out your entire machine and do a clean reboot.
If have a problem I just can't get around I'll do this........ but it's reserved for extreme cases only.

bullet2.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>