[Movie]Who here has seen Lost In Translation?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Well I think most of us are straight, which would explain the lack of replies.

lol just kidding. It's obviously a very good film(8.2/10 on imdb), just not really my type though.

Anyway yeah, bump.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
I am suprised more of you havn't showed intrest in this movie.:hmm: Anyway, here is the link to the site for the film. The soundtrack is really amazingly done by Kevin Shields. Even if you don't see the movie, it would be worth picking up this amazingly moody soundtrack.:tup:

Last edited:

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Here is a great review from the New York Times.

An American in Japan, Making a Connection

BY ELVIS MITCHELL
The director Sofia Coppola's new comic melodrama, "Lost in Translation," thoroughly and touchingly connects the dots between three standards of yearning in movies: David Lean's "Brief Encounter," Richard Linklater's "Before Sunrise" and Wong Kar-wei's "In the Mood for Love." All three movies are, in their way, about a moment of evanescence that fades before the participants' eyes - as is "Translation." ("Translation" also exhibits the self-contained, stylized lonesomeness found in post-punk, like New Order's "Bizarre Love Triangle.")

Ms. Coppola's movie also happens to be hilarious - a paean to dislocated people discovering how alive they are when they can barely keep their eyes open. The sexiness comes from the busy, desperate need-to-impress heat of a flirtation, an unrequited love communicated through a filter of sleep deprivation.

"Translation," which opens today in New York and Los Angeles, is also one of the purest and simplest examples ever of a director falling in love with her star's gifts.

And never has a director found a figure more deserving of her admiration than Bill Murray. He plays a vodka-and-bitters version of himself and the persona that made him famous. His character, Bob, is an American movie star who is in Tokyo to participate in the celebrity not-so-secret shame: he's picking up a boatload of dough to perform in commercials for Suntory whiskey. He arrives in Japan just in time to gaze, slightly embarrassed, at the sullen billboards of himself that are starting to appear there. While blinking sleeplessly around the lobby of the majestically hermetic Tokyo Hyatt, he meets Charlotte (Scarlett Johansson), who has been abandoned by her photographer husband (Giovanni Ribisi); he's off shooting a band.

The movie follows the twists and connections in Bob and Charlotte's relationship - like some trans-Atlantic phone calls, their feelings reach each other on a five-second delay. The lag time only embellishes the comedy, and the heartbreak.

It's the first grown-up starring part that Mr. Murray has had, and he inflects every facet of public awareness of Bill Murray with a sure, beveled determination. That may be because he has never really had a leading role that has asked him simply to pay attention to the other actors instead of guide the scene or save it.

Lean and physically witty - because he has dropped the awareness of the audience's demand for mainstream comedy - he even seems to be standing taller, perched on Bob's courtliness. Generally, Mr. Murray has given performances worth paying attention to in movies that no one sees, like his physical inhabitation of Hunter S. Thompson in "Where the Buffalo Roam," perhaps the only film example extant of Mr. Murray's ability to depict vulnerability and physical threat simultaneously.

Here he supplies the kind of performance that seems so fully realized and effortless that it can easily be mistaken for not acting at all. The corollary of this is that Ms. Coppola's direction is so breezily assured in its awareness of loneliness that the film could potentially be dismissed as self-consciously moody rather than registering as a mood piece. But it's bound to be recognized as a movie worthy of the kind of Oscar attention occasionally given to films that challenge audiences subtly. Mr. Murray could collect the Academy Award that he didn't get for "Rushmore."

Here, his capacity for absorbing everything around him has taken a toll, and the visibility of that burden is what "Translation" is all about. The psychodrama in the phone calls from Bob's wife adds a chilling layer of passive-aggressive horror that makes you understand why he had to flee to Tokyo. But thanks to Ms. Coppola's gracefulness, those conversations don't overwhelm the movie; instead, they add texture.

As does Ms. Johansson's Charlotte. At 18, the actress gets away with playing a 25-year-old woman by using her husky voice to test the level of acidity in the air. Charlotte's husband has already stopped listening to her, and we can see that her pain is dulled by her exhaustion level. Ms. Johansson is not nearly as accomplished a performer as Mr. Murray, but Ms. Coppola gets around this by using Charlotte's simplicity and curiosity as keys to her character.

Being shut away from experience has made Charlotte even lonelier than Bob, and their relationship flowers because he is eager for experience, too. Ms. Coppola gives Mr. Murray a scene that actors dream of; he falls definitively for Charlotte as she struggles through a karaoke version of "Brass in Pocket," a wisp of a smile flitting across his face as he watches her perform in a frosting-pink wig. She is his dream of an uncomplicated future, and Ms. Coppola lovingly shoots Ms. Johansson's wary, lazy eyes and lush lips - almost as a parody of Japanimation.

Music is a big part of the director's life; Ms. Coppola's previous feature, a screen adaptation of "The Virgin Suicides," was informed more substantially by the score by the group Air than by the narrative. She also allows Bob a chance to croon some karaoke, including a cover of Roxy Music's "More Than This."

Certainly we anticipate Mr. Murray's trashy sarcasm when he steps in front of a microphone, but we cringe slightly; if he whips Bryan Ferry's doomed narcissism around his throat like a scarf, the kind of thing he did when he invented this routine in the late 1970's on "Saturday Night Live," he'll get his laugh and demolish the movie. Instead he renders the song with a goofy delicacy; his workingman's suavity and generosity carry the day. And "Translation" already has a joke of a hotel lounge singer, played by Catherine Lambert, who is used for a bigger laugh later.

A joy of filmmaking pervades the movie, and an instinctive understanding of the medium is evident. Sound is used so beautifully it takes your breath away; in a scene where Bob carries the dozing Charlotte to her room, the hotel corridor is gently dusted with aural density; the noise of air conditioners and fluorescent lights becomes a part of the milieu.

The director is more than ably complemented by her sound designer, Richard Beggs, as well as the cinematographer Lance Acord and the editor Sarah Flack. All of their skills can be glimpsed in a scene that ends with Bob and Charlotte fleeing a karaoke bar as a friend fires a toy pistol that shoots lighted pellets at them, the gun's rat-a-tat fading into the jangling of a pachinko parlor.

The movie conveys dislocation and the hungers it causes more than just visually. Perhaps because of that, "Translation" exists more as a film rendering psychological colorations than as a script. Obviously, Ms. Coppola placed all her trust in her actors. Anna Faris, who barely registers in the "Scary Movie" pictures - and she's the star - comes to full, lovable and irritating life as a live-wire starlet complicating Charlotte's life. Ms. Faris has already had work; this movie will secure her a career.

But as a result of Ms. Coppola's faith, this is really Mr. Murray's movie, and his respect for his director couldn't be more visible.

In the handful of films she has done - including her short, "Lick the Star" - Ms. Coppola has shown an interest in emotional way stations. Her characters are caught between past and future - lost in transition. Perhaps her films are a kind of ongoing metaphorical autobiography, but no matter. The important point is that there's a lot up there on the screen, plenty to get lost in.

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company

flookster

Somewhere im not scatterbrain
Nov 7, 2002
suburbia
Visit site
I had a look last night out of interest in the soundtrack as much as anything else but I watched the trailer aswell and it does look like a good movie. I'll look it up when it gets here.

alien8

Run, you magnificent bastard.
I went and saw it last night, and it took a while for it all to sink in, I think. It's definitely not a story that's spoon-fed to you.

I've come to the decision that it was a great movie - a lot more powerful than I thought at first. It's a great exploration into self-discovery and a deep story on the friendship and interactions between an older, established actor, and an up-and-coming writer. By far Bill Murray's best work in years, and maybe ever. Scarlett Johanson is really coming into her own as an actress too.

Great film - if you are like me, and want to have a quick break from the non-stop action/thriller/horror movies of the past few months, definitely check this one out.

KJAX

Gamer 4 Life
BillyBadAss said:
I am suprised more of you havn't showed intrest in this movie.:hmm: Anyway, here is the link to the site for the film. The soundtrack is really amazingly done by Kevin Shields. Even if you don't see the movie, it would be worth picking up this amazingly moody soundtrack.:tup:

I will see this movie as soon as its hits this area. I love Bill Murray and Scarlet Johansson rocked in Ghost World (another movie you should see).

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
KJAX said:
I will see this movie as soon as its hits this area. I love Bill Murray and Scarlet Johansson rocked in Ghost World (another movie you should see).

I saw Ghost World when it was out. I thought it was good, but not great like this.

KJAX

Gamer 4 Life
Just saw the movie and i love it. :2thumb:

The subtleness of the movie is excellent. It leaves the interpretation to the audience and instead of banging the audience over the head with the obvious, it allow us to sink into the landscape of the movie.

This is a movie that shows us its story instead of beating us over the head and telling us. I also credit the movie for giving its actors time (Bill and Scarlet) to form their connection instead of having it be formed in a few key scenes. This movie stands as the most geniune form of chemistry I have seen on-screen.

Excellent movie. If you loved what was being shown, it is worth a second viewing just to see what you might have missed.

Last edited:

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
KJAX said:
Just saw the movie and i love it. :2thumb:

The subtleness of the movie is excellent. It leaves the interpretation to the audience and instead of banging the audience over the head with the obvious, it allow us to sink into the landscape of the movie.

This is a movie that shows us its story instead of beating us over the head and telling us. I also credit the movie for giving its actors time (Bill and Scarlet) to form their connection instead of having it be formed in a few key scenes. This movie stands as the most geniune form of chemistry I have seen on-screen.

Excellent movie. If you loved what was being shown, it is worth a second viewing just to see what you might have missed.

I went and saw it a second time last tight. This so far has been the best film I have seen this year. I hope it gets nominated for film of the year.:tup: