Flak Cannon

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Flak in U2?

• Yes, flak in U2

Votes: 29 96.7%
  • No, no flak in U2

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Maybe, but only if they'd make it a bit more powerful you know?
Sometimes i find the primary firing mode of the flak being a little too weak.
Maybe the secondary fm should launch spears instead of compact balls of hot shrapnel?

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
Flak cannon weak in multiplay? It is the most powerful weapon in the game besides the redeamer! My biggest beef is that too many levels make it way too easy to get, and flak ammo should be scarce. Once I get this weapon, it's all over.
OK, a fully loaded rocket launcher is more powerful, but also much more dangerous for the wielder.

Flak takes a little expertise. The primary fire is only effective at very close range (and deadly at point blank range). The secondary fire is what its all about, a direct hit can kill as effectively as the ASMD combo.

It just wouldn't be unreal without a flak gun.

airddragon

Novice
Sep 8, 2000
WHAT!

A weak mp weapon??? You must be crazy. Sure the primary fire is kinda weak at a range but man when you drop down behind someone flaks the thing for you. Flak is a weapon that requires a lot "skill" to handle well and to say that without it I may not even play U2 (kidding of course but I will miss it). i love dropping from peches just to flak someone to death in one hit from behind. And what a crowd "pleazer". If you're in a hall way its flak or nothing for me cause I love that weapon.

Serpico_TC|PuF

Feb 20, 2000
Portsmouth
Visit site
Wow, this brings me back. A Flak is good, flak is crap arguement. :)

Personally Flak is good. I find it helps High pingers cos the spread helps combat the lag. Just spam it left right and centre and you're bound to hit something. It can also require skill tho (flak around corners etc.). And the secondary fire is always good for a laugh.

I say include it for us High pingers.

-Serpico

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Maybe i should've added that indeed.. from a distance the flak is weak, and yes it's a skill weapon. From up close it's indeed a GOOD weapon. And ehm the alt fire mode ain't bad.

But still, i won't change my mind. At least the ut version is ok.

Can't help it i guess... i'm used to kickass weapons :) quake,doom.. (not referring to the lame q3, but quake. and doom2. That supershotgun is WICKED!)

The best skill weapon i have ever used, is the railgun. :) sorry, that's just the way it is. You REALLY need to have a DAMN good AIM to get a decent frag count. (instagib corksrew for example, measures your efficiency.)

We're all entitled to our own opinions right? :) i respect yours, please respect mine.

Lodev

Sep 3, 2000
Belgium
Yeah... the supershotgun in Doom2...that brings back memories
Killing 6 monsters with one shot, that's something that makes doom2 just that little bit more special

If they could put THAT weapon in Unreal2 :)

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
yeah hybrid..

if only they could such a thing :) i'd be wonderful..
imho the doom2 sshotgun is the best ssgun ever..
maybe a tad slow, but powerful and cool.

Maybe they should make 2 versions of it:

sp version: shoots out slower but it's more powerful and effective.

mp version: shoots faster, but a bit less powerful...

But i wouldn't mind a flak being in unreal2... :)

BUt no ultimate weapon.. i hate that.

ps killing a cyberdemon in doom with the ssgun.. sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
Mods

As long as they allow mods, there will always be a BFG.

Incidentally, I realize the flak-cannon will not suit all fighting styles.
It is a great short-to-mid range corridor weapon, but open spaces, or quick players at close range can make it almost useless.

Lodev

Sep 3, 2000
Belgium
That's not true, I've already killed a lot players that are far away from me in an open space, by shooting the flakshell at 45° so it flies to the maximum distance.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
So have i hybrid, using the secondary firing mode afcourse ;)
from a distance, the primary fm is useless i agree... :/
It needs to be a bit more powerful..sorry :)
BUT afcourse not TOO powerful...where to draw the line?

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
Flak range

Yes, its true that you can kill at longer ranges with the Flak Cannon, but it takes a little more skill than the Rocket Launcher or Sniper Rifle, which have unlimited range. The primary fire of the ASMD Rifle is also more accurate at longer ranges.

Lodev

Sep 3, 2000
Belgium
It's true, the primary fire is weak, you need to be pretty damn close to someone before you give him acceptable damage...

About the skill: the flak should better stay a skill weapon, and all weapons should, otherwise there is almost no fun in the game. If you can keep learning new skills and tricks, you stay playing the game for a longer time.

Snoop Dogg

May 3, 2001
U.S.
www.ibelite.com
Dude hell yeah the Flak Cannon is devestating at close or even medium range but sux at long range/medium range *all depends* so all they need to do is make the Flak spread better.

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
Flak Overkill

If you want the complete flak experience, get the excessive overkill mod (its small) and watch the primary fire discharge flak at the rate of a a machine-gun!!

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
make more bigger flak cannons and have a daisy firing mode where you blast the enemy with flowers... :)
maybe poison ivy...
and dont ya dare takes away my flak... its the occasional saviour of this 28.8 hpb ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.