Tweak UT graphics/sound to the max

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The greatest mystery of all: OpenGL or D3D (Including the D3D8 one)?

• OpenGl

Votes: 108 64.7%
  • D3D (or D3D8)

Votes: 41 24.6%
  • Software is the best!

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • They all suck!

Votes: 14 8.4%

• Total voters

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Oh well, I following the instructions for moving those files out (pg 1 of this thread), installing fix, then moving them back, and I also installed all new texture files (UTRP) after, so I don't know what it did but it's too late for me.:)

I guess whatever it changed, it won't matter unless I decide to run a server and that will never happen. I just thought I'd ask, because I can't remember exactly what the fix does or even if I ever knew. I'm usually pretty careful about installing stuff and I check all the files to see if any new ones or changed stuff as well as checking the UT.ini and User.ini files, so I don't think it changed anything important that wasn't changed again later on with something else (if that makes any sense at all).

Last edited:

Sirax

Aug 9, 2009
Ok but I play on several public UT servers and some have that problem and some have not... but I don't know all the admins of those servers so I need to fix it another way.

These are my PC specs:

Asus P5E motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 3.0Ghz
2048MB RAM
DirectX 11
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512
Display mode 1680x1050 (32bit) 60Hz
Nvidia version: 190.38

How can I get the best UT settings to play? Also can somebody help me to change maybe my unrealtournament.ini
Really would like to play UT in its best graphics but i need some help with that..

Kind Regards,

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
As far as I can tell UTDC has compatibility problems with x64 version of Windows 7. I don't know about x86 (32-bit) version though.

Sirax

Aug 9, 2009
Ok my graphics settings are now pretty good but still got 1 issue.

Just installed fresh installation of UT and applied opengl 3.5 and now it's pretty good but my crosshair is very blurry and also when I zoom with sniper the green crosshair is very bold. Does anyone has a fix for that?

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Unfortunately that's the way UT draws crosshairs with higher resolutions (it does not scale well) so best was is to use dot.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Does anyone has a fix for that?

There was a sort of fix in the works but I haven't had time to continue with the mutator. I might be able to resume work on it in September though.

Last edited:

Sirax

Aug 9, 2009
Ok, I hope the fix will be finished asap and that he works.

Hope to here from you soon about the fix :)

CSLA*Jackal

Mar 5, 2009
Slovakia
csla.soth.sk
Hey guys.

After a few months I've come back to check out if there's anything new about UT crosshair blur/size fix.

Any update to this issue ? (which would be client-side).

I can't believe there's no fix with the great boom of widescreen panels.

Thanks,
Jackal

Adelheid

Bernstein
Jan 23, 2008
Nowhere.
Does anyone else always have problems with UT after installing Unreal Anthology?

Can I immediately run 2004 in max settings? Hell yeah!

Can I immediately run UT in 640x480 with system graphics without the vision and sound stuttering like I'm trying to run it on a ramless 386? Nooooooo....

Grr... Mumble... Grr...

Mang Nux

Sep 14, 2010
In the OP, he's listed all the cfg settings for OpenGL and what he thinks they should be set to, but is there a list somewhere with descriptions of exactly what each setting does?

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
For UT99, OGL is better. Used to play in Glide, but...well, you know. High-res textures (extreme end) are also a must, IMO.

medor

Mar 15, 2009
In UT99 with Glide i can use only 16 bit
http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfiles/index.php?dir=Video_Renders/Glide/

Glide not work with High-res textures.

glidehighttextures.jpg

Please give your settings

Last edited:

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008

No shit. When UT came out it was 256x256 max and 16-bit only for a Voodoo card. Had you had been the so-called oldschool player you claim to be you would already have known that.

No amount of settings will allow GlideDrv to break arbitrary Glide 2 API limits. To get hi-res textures on a 3dfx card, one would need to use a Voodoo4 or Voodoo5, and the same utglr driver to decompress the DXT1 textures filling up that poor video memory.

Last edited:

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfiles/index.php?dir=Video_Renders/Glide/

Indeed. I said "used to". ;)

Back in the day it was the real deal, but Glide has long gone the way of the dinosaurs (I thought RDRAM would fly too).

Makes sense I suppose; OGL works very well (I think the visuals are comparable, even in 16 bit) and again, with the high-res textures the game looks better than ever.

Last edited: