Mouse that can take a beating

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
Hi,
I've had a razer diamondback for the last couple of years but its left mouse button wore out. So I opened up the mouse and replaced the foot its on (the foot does the clicking) with plastic paste. It worked good as new for a couple of months now but I can feel it's wearing down again.
So for my next mouse I'd like to ask if you can point me in the direction of a sturdy model that can take a little abuse.

What I need:
  • left, right and middle mouse button plus mouse wheel, all of which should have to be clicked and not just barely touched
  • a tough mouse that can survive prolonged exposure to DiabloI-like clickfests and Milkshapey scrolling orgies
  • the mouse has to be easy to pick up and move. I'm a shuffler

I don't care much if it's wired or wireless (unless it has noticeable lag and ultra short battery live) or how much dpi it has as long as it's within reasonable limits. 800+ dpi should do fine.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
5139_mx518.jpg

I rest my case. :eek:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
I had an mx500 a while back, and the left mouse button also got worn out in the same way as your razor. I have a G5 atm. but the cord on these things is retarded and actually broke, though I fixed it. The G5 is good, though if you carry it around in bags too much (like I did to school) the cord will lose connectivity very quickly. Generally the anatomy of these two mice is the same though. It doesn't really matter which one you take, they're both excellent. The G5 refresh has two extra buttons though.

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I have a Razor Deathadder that I have been using for a couple years. Best mouse I have used in a long time. The thing doesn't even show any wear and tear to the finish, like some mice do after much clicking and finger rubbing.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I have an MX510 that I have had for 6 years and it's still running strong.

I also have a G9 that I've had for a couple of years, and it is also still working great.

I also have a G5 that I've had for 6 months or so, and it is still working great, too.

GRAF1K

****** Kamikaze
Oct 16, 2003
I use an MX Revolution for games and a Wacom tablet for everything else. Have you ever given one a shot? I don't think I'll ever return to mice.

Syri

Who are you calling short?
Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
Got my Logitech G5 not long after they launched, and it's still going strong. I secretly hoped it'd break when the revised version came out with it's second side button, but it's kept on going. The mx510 is also very reliable, got a friend who's got one that's still going from when they first launched. I've got one aswell, but it's not used often.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
My 518's keep wearing out :/ I've had 2 just die on me after regular use - same problem as in the original post where the buttons get so worn down that you have to click them extremely hard for it to register, and even then the contact is fuzzy, causing you to make 3-4 rapid clicks with one push.

Got a G5 right now as well, but I'm looking for a replacement. My biggest beef with it is the mouse wheel that's impossible to click without accidentally tilting or spinning it, which is a bit of a hassle since I use both apps and games that need you to drag with it. It gets old having to rebind it to the thumb button or something.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
My 518's keep wearing out :/ I've had 2 just die on me after regular use - same problem as in the original post where the buttons get so worn down that you have to click them extremely hard for it to register, and even then the contact is fuzzy, causing you to make 3-4 rapid clicks with one push.

Got a G5 right now as well, but I'm looking for a replacement. My biggest beef with it is the mouse wheel that's impossible to click without accidentally tilting or spinning it, which is a bit of a hassle since I use both apps and games that need you to drag with it. It gets old having to rebind it to the thumb button or something.

How long have you used the G5? I can click it without tilting/spinning it. Then again, I'm using 3 fingers for my mouse, not just 2.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
A year or two I guess? I got it around when it was released. I can click it fine if I take the time to carefully do it, but not to - say - move my finger from the left button to quickly pan the camera in an RTS or something. I usually end up spinning it a notch or tilting it to the side, which while it usually doesn't do anything itself, makes me stop pressing it.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Do you use three fingers for the left, middle and right button? Like, your index finger for the left mouse button, middle finger for the wheel and ring finger for the right mouse button. Many people don't use their mouse like that for some reason, but I've found that it's a way more efficient way to play, because you don't need to move your fingers. You also don't get the tilt problem that way.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
I have big viking bear hands so no, just one finger for each of right and left button. I'll try the 3 finger approach (har har) for a while and see if I can get used to it.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Logitech G5 or G500, both are extremely accurate and comfortable mice :tup: