All I Get Is A Black Screen!???

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

RKIlgore

Apr 20, 2001
Ohio
Visit site
First off,I've been playing UT on this system "I'm running a 500mhz K-6 ,256 megs ram,Voodoo 3 2000,Win98" since the game first came out without any problems at all.
But now everytime I try to start the game up it gets to the part where the opening movie should play and it just goes to a black screen.
I have all the lastest updates v436,and drivers for my video card ect.
I have completely uninstalled everything having to do w/UT and reinstalled it over and over without any luck.
It won't even try to load up in safe mode or software mode.
Any suggestions are welcome,I'm going nuts without my UT!! I've even resorted to putting Quake3A on my hard drive just to try and get a frag fix!!So you know I'm desperate.......I've tried everything I know to do except reformat. Please help!!

Last edited:

RKIlgore

Apr 20, 2001
Ohio
Visit site
A poem about my Prob.....

Once my life was full of fraggin bliss
You see I had UT but now it's amiss
Oh Why! Oh Why! wont you load UT?
No answer... just a dark void of blackness is all I see.
Now I'm Jones'n it like an addict needing a fix!
I try to get satisfaction from Counter Strike, Elite Force,even Rainbow Six.
And now the desperation has really set in,
as I sneak off to my computer room once again.
As Windows boots up I start to cry and shake,
'cause until I get UT running again.......I GOTTA PLAY QUAKE!!!!!!!!!

Anyone feel my pain?

an original poem by R.Kilgore

Last edited:

Chapel

Blah Blah Blah, What do you want me to put?
Mar 29, 2001
Alaska
www.chapel.iwarp.com
welll...

I have the same problem, but I can get mine to work in safe mode, almost the same as usual. But its really gay. Specially when im trying to make maps and stuff. I wish i could fix this!!!

RKIlgore

Apr 20, 2001
Ohio
Visit site
This happened once before about two months ago.I finaly gave up and reformatted my HD,but man I don't want to have to do that again.
The game did run after that "untill now"I really don't know what happend.I've read some threads that say DX8 may be causing it but it ran fine on DX8 for months.
And I haven't added any new hardware or any weird programs or drivers.
I don't know!! I just wish there is someone who has an answer to this problem.

Last edited:

Chapel

Blah Blah Blah, What do you want me to put?
Mar 29, 2001
Alaska
www.chapel.iwarp.com
well

I dont want to reformat, i have too much stuff and no where to put it, if i had a cd burner that might be a different story. But otherwise im screwed. I think its my audio, but i cant tell, ive installed the new drivers for it,a nd well nothing.