Steve Polge about UT3 Expansion Pack

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
I don't understand how people can behave like that towards any game like you do.....
It is mostly said that U2 offers no more fun after you complete it...it's wrong, in fact there are several hidden easter eggs and game was more fun for me on the second play, or better not, I mean rather third play, because that's actually time where you properly learn all weapon functions and how to use all pieces of thje arsenal, even the weakest ones and I raised difficulty as well (even more than menu allows).
Or made certain parts harder, such as finishing every tosc with normal weapons first, pickup his hand and then finish him off completelly with it, but always to make his hand fall, that way the game is a lot more challenging and not a piece of cake.

Because I didn't play it over and over until my eyes fell out I'm wrong? I think I played it through twice. I got some fun out of the game and then moved on.

I eBayed it and maybe that person enjoyed it. So what? I didn't see that much replay in U2 that would keep my interest.

Last edited:

LG1X

Aug 16, 2008
That is the thing though, the presentation and theme of UT in general is fine and different than most of the other crap that is popular in today's multiplayer world.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
rAt.8^].bAg;2223439 said:
Because I didn't play it over and over until my eyes fell out I'm wrong? I think I played it through twice. I got some fun out of the game and then moved on.

I eBayed it and maybe that person enjoyed it. So what? I didn't see that much replay in U2 that would keep my interest.
Neither did I.

TBH U2 was an ok game if I disassociated it from the Unreal universe but I never actually finished the game. I had a lot more fun in XMP driving that buggy car off cliffs.

Now the only SP game I play is Mass Effect, which I find to be on par and almost better than my experience with Unreal. The only mp games I play are UT3 for competition and quack3 for fun.

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
I wanted to try Mass Effect, until I heard about the "you only get 3 installs and you're done" and SecuROM-as-malware sh!t with it. I won't support a$$hole devs that do that, no matter how good a game might be.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
To be fair, it wasn't the developers who did that; it was EA. Buy the game and crack SecuROM out if you wish. That way you can support the developers without f**king yourself over.

Unless otherwise noted, it's always the publisher that wants DRM and copy protection and not the developers. :p

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
But in the end you are also supporting the publisher by buying it.

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
I know what you're saying T2A, but as a musician myself, I'm a bit touchy on the cracked/pirating issue. I know how hard ppl gotta work to get legit stuff out and get paid for their work, and it's similar for games or other software. But I don't want to start that whole debate here.

So on the titles that are phucked like Mass Effect, I'll just not get them legit OR cracked.

LG1X

Aug 16, 2008
Why didn't Epic have Digital Extremes help out with UT3 ? I guess it was just part of lowering the budget for a second tier game by not investing in them. Digital Extremes helped out with Unreal, UT, UC, UT2K3, UT2K4, but nope, not UT3 and look how it released.

Has anyone watched the credits in UT3? Some of them are wearing GoW hats, Digital Extremes could have atleast been the bunch that have not been brainwashed GoW developers, there's a video here someone posted once that was a video clip from the collectors edition of UT3. It showed a bunch of rookies holding controllers while playing or working on UT3 for the PC, remember that, whether they were developers or helped develop UT3 I don't know.

Blizzard Entertainment is also brainwashed on WoW, but they have money to invest in highly skilled developers that don't have an interest in WoW and haven't been developing it the past few years so they are able to produce themes for Diablo 3. Only problem is that the lead developer of Diablo 3 is a WoW developer as well.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm sure the decision not to use Digital Extremes was made for them.

iron12

Mar 28, 2005
Why didn't Epic have Digital Extremes help out with UT3 ?

Yeah I pretty much asked that question on the Epic forums. Sometime it seems like they did GoW and they had some stuff left over so they thought why not throw this together and sell it as UT3. I know that's not the way it went down but UT is definitely not the cash cow. I mean we have to wait until they get done with GoW stuff before they can work on UT3. Think its a coincident that now the GoW2 is done that now we can look forward to an expansion pack for UT3. Oh will I guess the people that really like this game will just have to take what they can get. Hope the expansion pack give it a shot in the arm because anymore it seems like offline is the only way you can play it because not very many people are playing this game. I guess making this game for 3 platforms has really thinned out the community. Wish they would have just stuck to PC. :(

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
You are saying this based on ...
Well, Epic has said somewhere that UT3 across all platforms has sold about as well as previous UTs across all platforms... so it stands to reason that even UT only had around 1 million in sales, as well as UT2004. That's quite a few people, but not compared to the increased number of probable purchasers.

And UT was released on Dreamcast and PS2 as well.

LG1X

Aug 16, 2008
They should have stuck with the release UT for PC first and consoles second model with UT3.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
What is playing offline in UT? It's playing online with bots instead of real people. What is the single player campaign? It's playing online with bots instead of real people. The other games you mentioned have a backstory, a plot, cinematics (either run or played), natural level progression, interesting story elements within the game, and have a definite end.

They tried to add a "real" campaign like that to UT3 to offset this, because obviously they realize it as well, people want well fleshed out SP and MP in the same game, and UT has NEVER had that.

Another congratulations - you have just described Unreal 1 :D

rAt.8^].bAg;2223439 said:

Leo is right. You could try and set the level at the highest level and summon Singularity Cannons at the start of the map to relax. Or play it with only summoning deployables. Or even make a mod that makes it even more interesting - hell, you could even make a MP game out of this. Blame Atari for not letting Legend make it to a truly good game.

Why didn't Epic have Digital Extremes help out with UT3 ? I guess it was just part of lowering the budget for a second tier game by not investing in them. Digital Extremes helped out with Unreal, UT, UC, UT2K3, UT2K4, but nope, not UT3 and look how it released.

True... If they started with DE, they should have continued with it and see what goes.

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
Leo is right. You could try and set the level at the highest level and summon Singularity Cannons at the start of the map to relax. Or play it with only summoning deployables. Or even make a mod that makes it even more interesting - hell, you could even make a MP game out of this. Blame Atari for not letting Legend make it to a truly good game.

I didn't see anything around at the time that hinted it was going to become MP, and I played it enough in SP, so down the road it went.

:wavey:

I hope you and Leo get over it! :biggrin2:

Status
Not open for further replies.